J13 Rebuild

zed1

I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel on the engine rebuild. I have taken some photos but am having difficulty imbedding them in a post.

Engine rebuild 012

Many of the engine parts are original, some are used, and some are BMC (MG/Metropolitian)

• Like 1
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a chance, look thru the photo set. I have been working on accumulating the parts since July 2010. It has been very time consuming cleaning up the old parts. The pistons are .20 overbore. The deck and head were straight. The pushrods and one exhaust valve needed replacement.

Unfortunately, there has never been a modern replacement to the rope and felt crank seals. I thought someone would have developed a neoprene or other material replacement. I expect the new seals will leak in about 2-3 years, once the felt or rope become saturated with oil. Well, that is 1950-1960 tech.

Where did you get your gasket kit and the bearings? I wouldn't worry about the rope itself getting saturated as that will help keep the oil in, the hard part is getting the rope in there without a gap, when you torque the crank down it pushes the rope in further and creates a gap, so unless you know about it happening ahead of time and compensate you will end up with a 1/8" gap. The factory had some kind of tool that beat the rope in place. wayno

Where did you get your gasket kit and the bearings? I wouldn't worry about the rope itself getting saturated as that will help keep the oil in, the hard part is getting the rope in there without a gap, when you torque the crank down it pushes the rope in further and creates a gap, so unless you know about it happening ahead of time and compensate you will end up with a 1/8" gap. The factory had some kind of tool that beat the rope in place. wayno

i got a full re-build kit for my motor thinking it was j13 (but was mg1800) from the local parts store was no more than $200au kit consisted of full bearings, rings and gaskets

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Unfortunately, there has never been a modern replacement to the rope and felt crank seals. I thought someone would have developed a neoprene or other material replacement. I expect the new seals will leak in about 2-3 years, once the felt or rope become saturated with oil. Well, that is 1950-1960 tech.

Did you try part #13042-B3000 from Nissan? I ordered one through nissanparts.cc, and received a rubber crank seal. I haven't attempted to fit it to my J13 yet, as I found my leak may have been due to a couple loose nuts on the front cover.

• 4 months later...

Did you try part #13042-B3000 from Nissan? I ordered one through nissanparts.cc, and received a rubber crank seal. I haven't attempted to fit it to my J13 yet, as I found my leak may have been due to a couple loose nuts on the front cover.

Hey did you ever figure out if that seal works in place of the rope seal?

• 2 months later...

Hey did you ever figure out if that seal works in place of the rope seal?

Sorry I missed this.  Nope, the seal is still sitting on my bench somewhere, since I managed to fix my oil leak by tightening the front cover.  I don't feel like pulling the crank pulley for fun.  If you need me to measure it or take any pics, send me a PM.  I don't check the 520 forum often.