Where can I find Weather Strips/Seals

320Mia

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Black silicone would be what comes to mind first.

Several of us have looked into having these gaskets made, but in the end someone will likely have to absorb a huge loss if done overseas, or charge a lot of money for each set and sit on them for years if not decades if made over here in the USA, the problem with overseas is that once the molds are made at your expense in Asia, before you even get what you ordered back to the USA they will have been sold out a back door over there in Asia and they will appear on ebay for way less than you can sell them for, this has already happened several times, I personally know someone that it has happened to, they were not Datsun parts though.

Definitely--I've been reading up on them and it seems like the most impossible part on the car to come by.

Is there anything out there that'll keep the vent window water tight in a fixed position?

• Like 2

Door window seals, or lack thereof, was the catalyst for me eventually selling off my 320. It got to the point where I was getting busy in the shop and didn't have enough room to consistently store it indoors in the winter, which lead to rain infiltrating the door panels, which started to destroy my brand new interior.

When you see a vehicle that you've brought back to life, start to show signs of neglect, that's when it's time to sell.

If door window seals became available, I would seriously consider buying another 320.

• Like 1

What about 3D printing, which has recently taken off in the last couple years?  While probably not possible with rubber, a quick google search shows several places that do rubber-like 3D printing.  I don't know the pricing, but its gotta be cheaper than making molds.

I'm not going to lead up the effort myself, as its not a priority for me.

• Like 1

What about 3D printing, which has recently taken off in the last couple years?  While probably not possible with rubber, a quick google search shows several places that do rubber-like 3D printing.  I don't know the pricing, but its gotta be cheaper than making molds.

I'm not going to lead up the effort myself, as its not a priority for me.

Eric and Greg both talked about this, Greg even went to a car show that specialized vendors had booths, but nothing ever came of it.

I was helping a guy in CA that had his own 320, his job was rubber parts out of China, the guy sold his 320 and later I found out that his contacts in China were not even interested in making these rubber seals, and that is what they do for a living, make rubber parts.

Except for maybe a dozen people in this country, likely even less, no one daily drives a 320, that is why no one wants to deal with these seals/gaskets, there just isn't a large enough market for these parts.

• Like 1

Unless 3D printing makes some serious advances, it's not going to be a viable solution for this type of part. People have tried to 3D print window rubber for other applications and the result, up to now, has been a failure. The parts don't hold up.

If there are any collectors with 320 vent rubbers in their collection, they have been silent. A couple guys in the past have offered theirs for copy, but then when it came down to it, they were either mistaken that the parts were correct, or they just didn't want to give them up because they had already installed them.

There has to be a source somewhere, a stash of OEM parts maybe that hasn't come to light yet. Has anybody actually tried contacting Nissan? there is a Nissan heritage museum in Japan. That's who I'd call.

Wayno is right in that there are only a handful of 320 owners who care, but one aspect of collecting is parts availability. If the parts to restore a vehicle are readily available, those vehicles become sought after. So maybe the tail wags the dog here and if someone sticks their neck out, the market might crack wide open. It's a gamble for sure.

Lastly, it's been brought up before, there is a Mazda pickup that has vent rubbers that can be cut and glued together to get a close fit. I know guys have done it, but I can't remember who they were or what parts they started with.

• Like 1

I need a pair for my 520, is there a chance these would interchange? (I would consider modifying the 320 seal to work with the 520.)

Keith

It would be easier to use a pair for the 521 wing windows and trim where needed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Nissan-1300-1500-520-521-Ute-Door-Front-1-4-Vent-Window-Rubber-Rubbers-/262513595903?hash=item3d1f0795ff:g:XiQAAOSwXshWsZ7y&vxp=mtr

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I looked into this seriously for more than two years. I personally spoke with or emailed the principals at three well-known rubber manufacturers in the USA, one in Australia, and one in Israel.

The most reliable company i found said this problem can be solved for (2013 prices) about $11,000 dollars and that would result in 25 sets of spanking new, quality seals that would be molded in ozone-resistant rubber (better than OEM quality).

This was all based on being able to use a NOS set of rubbers that Kevin Funk had as the basis for making high quality molds.

The next best alternative was a pieced together set (three sections each side; six TEMPORARY molds needed) that a retired Boeing pattern-maker offered to do for the low sum of about $3,000 net, which would result in ability to make about 40 pieces or sets tops before the molds would ned to be redone. Different technology, but results in, again, a modern ozone-resistant high quality product from a known manufacturer who I felt could and would actually deliver a product within 6 months of order.

I found five guys who I thought would actually pay $250 per set for wing rubbers, and then a bunch of blowhards who might pay $75, if they could see a set first. Maybe:)

One piece windows start to look good about this point in someone's research. But hey.... I bet Trumo would promise to reproduce these if we promise to elect him!

Until a pattern maker buys a 320 and decides to do an over the top personal restoration, these rubbers will likely never be reproduced.

I did the same research five years ago about 521 vent window rubbers, which also used to be NLA. At least with the 521 and 520 p/u, there was a reasonable chance that if someone wanted to make 250 sets, these might eventually sell worldwide. At that time, no one would reasonably pay more than $200 a set for 521 vent rubbers.

Since then, two folks have reproduced these. I suspect, but cannot verify, that some of the new 521 vent rubbers were "back doored" on the fellow who commissioned their reproduction which may have diluted the ROI for the fellow who commissioned them. I hope that is not the case. I know for  fact that this happened to a very reputable fellow in Australia that makes the finest 320 windshield gaskets I was able to source. Note to 320 owners: If you want better than new 320 windshield gaskets, buy from Scott's in Australia. Best quality currently available anywhere on the planet. Next most reliable was the gaskets Wayno had made a few years ago through a source in SoCal.

Only a deep pockets crazy man with absolutely no fiscal sense would make this stuff. I was very lucky and got in on a group buy of new 320 windshields that Wayno had custom made about five years ago. I personally saw Wayno's specially commissioned windshield gaskets for 320s.

Wayno (the only other certifiable 320 collector willing to spend insane amounts of money on fronting production of 15 or so windshields, and gaskets, and then willing to take a chance that there might be enough folks who were willing to actually pay for new 320 windshield and not stiff him)  actually drove from Oregon to LA to will call these windshields, and delivered one to my door!

This 320 window vent is a complicated structure that will need to be injection molded. If someone knows a pattern maker who will work for beer, then this is possible, The only other solution is if Mike Klotz decides to devote the next three years to learning how to make molds.... lol! Mr Blue hands would likely make an awesome set of wing vents, but look what he went through to prototype a new A-arm balljoint conversion  for kingpin trucks! The quality control would definitely be there, but  let's just say making these moldings is about that much work for a very good pattern maker. 

Kevin Funk: If you still, have your NOS set of 320 wing vents, the really cool thing would be to have someone you absolutely trust scan these into a CAD program so they could be reproduced someday by some deep pockets madman.... 

Calling MrBigTanker. If he buys a 320, the world order will reset and Wayno and every other serious 320 owner will have a new best friend for life:)

I eventually chose to sell my 320 to a buddy, who can park the truck inside next to his vintage motorcycle collection when he is not vigorously driving it, and I moved up to a 521 restoration project BECAUSE THE WING VENT RUBBERS ARE NOW AVAILABLE!

• Like 1

Anyone friends with Jay Leno? http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a4354/4320759/

Huge thanks to everyone beating the bushes out there--I'd be down to through decent money at a pair if they become available. 

I agree with Ol' 320 the next step is to have the NOS set CAD rendered. Technology will probably eventually drive production costs down but we'd need the CAD schematics to do anything.

• Like 1

Kevin Funk: If you have note yet installed your NOS vent window rubbers and you know someone who could 3D scan these, that would be awesome. I would wager that these may be the last of their species in the wild.

Do you still have that 320?

• Like 1

Hi.

I've floated on the forums for a few years on and off, but recently advised of this thread from the facebook group so will share my current progress (can it be called that?) in this space.

Long story short is I am currently trying to replicate the vent rubber for my own personal 320's. Ted kindly sold me a set of used and good condition rubbers. We laser scanned them... but alas the models are too detailed and show every flaw time has blessed them with. So now we have a modeler working to draw them from scratch in solidworks. I'll then make a mold and aim to use a 2 part silicone to create the part. We can't print the part directly, or rather we can but it simply won't last beyond a few months if exposed to sunlight/weather.

How long till we make one... i don't really know. It's been around 2-3 months i think since i first got motivated and purchased the rubbers. They then traveled first class freight to Australia for a few weeks. Laser scanning was a few weeks delayed then pointless for our needs. The modeler is 2 weeks in, but working on it for free in between designing paid projects for us... so certainly not his priority! My loving wife is supportive, but not so much to yet me add the work to the balance sheet and fast track it. Optimistically - i'd hope to pour the first one in the next 8-12 weeks. This is heavily dependent on business commitments though. 

Ultimately we will get a result. Its certainly not a silver bullet but fixes my problem. The financial viability of making 6 doesn't matter (5 for me and 1 for Ted who has made it all possible). The model creation and making the first mold is a sunk cost as far as i'm concerned. Thereafter low volume runs would need to viable as individual parts to justify the time in making each set - which is just a calculation based on how much people want them.

Cheers...Phil

• Like 4

Kevin Funk: If you have note yet installed your NOS vent window rubbers and you know someone who could 3D scan these, that would be awesome. I would wager that these may be the last of their species in the wild.

Do you still have that 320?

ol' 320:  Sorry, not sure how our conversations on this got buried in another thread, but no I don't actually have NOS rubbers and have never had them.  Unfortunately, the set that I found in my parts stash that came in the 320 weren't actually 320 rubbers.  I looked up the part numbers, and they were for a Mazda REPU which was rumored to work since it had the same outside dimensions, but has a very different door structure/seam.  A previous owner of my truck must've heard that rumor too and bought them, and left them in my stash.  Wayno tried to modify a set to work, and couldn't do it.  I ended up selling those NOS Mazda rubbers to a Mazda guy for $150 (might as well someone get some use of them).  

• Like 1

I could have made it work if I had to, I just didn't have to like the guy did back east, he did make it work.

ol' 320:  Sorry, not sure how our conversations on this got buried in another thread, but no I don't actually have NOS rubbers and have never had them.  Unfortunately, the set that I found in my parts stash that came in the 320 weren't actually 320 rubbers.  I looked up the part numbers, and they were for a Mazda REPU which was rumored to work since it had the same outside dimensions, but has a very different door structure/seam.  A previous owner of my truck must've heard that rumor too and bought them, and left them in my stash.  Wayno tried to modify a set to work, and couldn't do it.  I ended up selling those NOS Mazda rubbers to a Mazda guy for $150 (might as well someone get some use of them).  

• Like 1

Has anyone compared vent window channel profile, corner section and pivot hole position to determine if a 520/521 could be cut/re-glued to create a workable prototype?

I do not own a 320, but sympathize with your situation.

Keith

• Like 1