wacked out instruments

crabbyone

I know this is a problem with many of the 520 and 521 instrument panels. All the indications randomly vary from where they should be to somewhere else on a random basis. more than likely traced back to a "high tech" component called a thermal compensator, or such. the reason has been discussed many times on different forums, but I do not recall ever seeing a real fix for this irritating nuisance, other than replacing everything with aftermarket gauges and panel lights.

Well?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is a problem with many of the 520 and 521 instrument panels. All the indications randomly vary from where they should be to somewhere else on a random basis. more than likely traced back to a "high tech" component called a thermal compensator, or such. the reason has been discussed many times on different forums, but I do not recall ever seeing a real fix for this irritating nuisance, other than replacing everything with aftermarket gauges and panel lights.

Well?

Not aware of this prob. Do you mean the gas and temp. gauges?

I have similar problems on my 74 620. I know the gas gauge is off a bit seeing as ive ran out of gas twice. Also my temp gauge will say its hot when its cold out right in the middle when it's hot outside. And...my dash lights are so dim I cant even see them at night plus they will dim bright then dim alot. My heater isnt hooked up & theres a few wires not connected to anything, that may be my problem too.

Switching to a 60 amp 720 alt might help with more available voltage at idle. (brighter dash lights) I cut some of that blue colored plastic off the dash light bulb covers, and that helped too.

I eventually switched to a Chrysler K-car 90 amp alt. but didn't know that the 90 amp Saturn one almost bolts in. This gives a super charge rate even at idle. Faster, I mean faster wipers and heater fan. Brighter dash and headlights too.

There is a small voltage regulator that plugs into the instrument cluster and feeds the gas and temp gauges. If they aren't right check it out, but first make sure there is a good solid ground wire from the negative terminal to the body sheet metal. Make sure it isn't rusty and is solid.

Hmmm. Got a good ground, got a functional 65 amp GM alternator. On cold start up, things are relatively accurate, but as everything warms up indications start to wander. Sometimes a precision smack on the dash will get a response. No, not a loose or dirty connection. It is really more of an irritation than inconvenience. I always keep the gas topped off and I have back up temerature indication. Still, would be nice to fix.

Hmmm. Got a good ground, got a functional 65 amp GM alternator. On cold start up, things are relatively accurate, but as everything warms up indications start to wander. Sometimes a precision smack on the dash will get a response. No, not a loose or dirty connection. It is really more of an irritation than inconvenience. I always keep the gas topped off and I have back up temerature indication. Still, would be nice to fix.

The one thing common to both the gauges is the small voltage regulator that plugs into the back of the instrument cluster. I'd look at it.