1967 520 parts on my 521

dilandau

so, i have had my 521 for about 2 years, traded a karmann ghia for it and been very pleased with the deal.

its not the prettiest, but after fixing a u-joint and the bolts holding the steering box on, i took it on a 1200 mile trip with no probs. here she is in action

5039556727_e6bbed563b_z.jpg

recently ive started to fix her up a bit better- got all new tires and starting in on a few issues: need a rear bumper, drivers door glass, bench seat is trashed, dash is trashed, tailgate latch broken etc etc. good news is i've located a guy semil local that has a 520 that hes parting out. I read elsewhere on this site that the 520 dash is a good swap, being metal, but how about the rest? windows, tail gate etc the same?

cheers for any advice on that-

josh

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The metal top dash is a nice swap & it WILL bolt right in.

Tailgate & doors will swap over. Bench seat should swap over [same holes on the floor as a 521].

thanks guys.

i am not sure if his bench seat is any better than mine. i just emailed a guy with free audi seats that i might throw in there and see how that works. it would give me time to get the bench re-upholstered if i dont like em. the real issue is im 6'2" and id like to get the seat cut down- im a big dude in a tiny cab!

its a cool little truck, my first car as a 16 year old was a 1972 chevy luv that was also powder blue. very similar! cept my luv was lowered with tinted windows and a rocking stereo. man was i cool.

edit: i just went and picked up the audi cs100 seats and they are pretty sweet. black leather and in good shape. might give them a try tomorrow- gunna have to cut and weld some probably.

high. but after i get done with a few details, im planning on a paint job. should i keep it powder blue? original is great but ... well.. powder blue.....

Don't ask me, i'm color retarded, I just paint everything red, ask anybody that knows me. That blue was a popular stock color, I think it should be what color you want it to be, just not PINK! wayno

• 1 month later...

I'm in Livermore, wouldn't want to grab up the front upper control arms for me would you? I need some templates...I'm also looking for a stock 520/521 seat.

the dude disappeared on me- so i never got anything from it all afterall.

i do have a stock front seat its pretty trashed, but could be recovered. free if you want it - pick up in emeryville.

if so, best hurry. im looking to get the keys to a house in a few weeks-if all goes well, and when i move, the seat may not make it..

I can do that. Would you be able to shoot me a pic to see what I'm dealing with? Thanks!

Congrats to the house, hard to get here in NORCAL. Mine is deep six'd under right now...

• 2 weeks later...

ill take a pic of the seat- its like you expect, drivers side is pushed in- neeeds new foam and cover.

but- in more pressing news for me- i was on the freeway with a different project moto in the back, and when i went to get off the freeway, i was stuck in 4th gear. long story short- its gonna be 1200-1500 to pull the trannie and have it rebuilt! fuck!

anyone got a real cheap trannie on them, or.. anyone want a parts truck? i am not sure i can afford to fix the girl up-- and i just got all new tires as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd still love to grab the seat if you got it. I want to go back to original.

I'm sure you could find a decent trans locally for WAY WAY less. If your still in Oak and have no place to pull it, I can help you out. I have everything at my house needed. I even got my other trucks if we need to pickup the trans. I know the Newark PNP had a Dat way in the back with an L series, don't recall the trans though. Just post up here in the WTB, I'm sure you'll get the right price.

well its certainly yours. i swear ill take a pic, ive just been super busy.- nature of my work is 10 hour weeks and then 80 hours weeks. today i got the keys to the house- so pretty stoked but the place needs lots of work. on that note, i shelled out the cash to fix the datsun. timing sucks and i really need it for the work on the house- so i figured just pay the piper and get it done or id waste more money on rental trucks.

no hurry in the end, i can take it over to the new place well enough- happy it might go to someone who will use it.

Do NOT put any other seat into the truck, unless you're under 5' tall. The stock seat actually lets you sit pretty far back, most other seats will scoot you a good 4-5 inches further forward. This is especially a problem with buckets. Just get the stock seat recovered.