"Zombie" Rat Rod 2+2

DemonZ

I picked up a 77 280 2+2 about 2 years ago from a junk yard. $350, didnt run, and it was rather rough.

The idea was, "what can I build out of spare parts in my garage?"

dsc00309fpf.th.jpgdsc00307b.th.jpg dsc00294a.th.jpg dsc00322l.th.jpg dsc00319l.th.jpg dsc00321s.th.jpg

Engine was a complete mess... giant paperweight. Electrical system has some good gremlins. ECU is fried. Fuel system is completely trashed, rail, pump, and tank are all garbage. Brakes were destroyed.

Paint was reeeeeally bad, a few dents here and there as well.

Basically the only good things about the car were the body/frame, which isnt perfect, but wasnt too bad... and the 4 speed transmission, which i didnt wind up using anyway.

picture004ab.th.jpg picture019ql.th.jpg picture022dm.th.jpg picture002vm.th.jpg dsc00231sa.th.jpg

Built a motor from parts in the garage: N42 Block N42 Head, and a shaved Non-egr N42 intake. After finding out the ECU was fried, I wound up putting on an old set of SU carbs I had laying around.

Dropped in my old ZX 5speed

dug out my BRE springs for the front(still need to find what I did with one of the rear ones...)

Oldschool wide 14" wheels

Corbeau seat

^All in the garage.

I used spray on Truck Bed Liner for the paint, not perfect, but it's cheap, durable, and almost looks like primer, without the downside of absorbing moisture like primer does.

dsc00249ao.th.jpg dsc00243ca.th.jpg dsc00252fl.th.jpg

Here's a basic "Before and after" from about a year ago.

picture011ue.jpg

dsc00262n.jpg

picture017ut.jpg

dsc00265or.jpg

Running a 3-2-1 MSA header into a dual straight pipe system, at the very end there's a pair of 15 inch 1 and 3/4 inch pair of glasspacks with chrop tips welded to the ends of them. It's got a hell of an exhaust note.(had to ad a little length for the 2+2)

Again, stuff I had in the garage.

dsc00268c.jpg

dsc00269lw.jpg

dsc00270uv.jpg

Because the brakes were completely toast too, I dug around in the garage again, and found all my old upgrade parts. Toyota pickup 4 piston calipers for the front, rear disc conversion in the back(yeah, I had that laying around too) and a ZX master cylinder to accommodate the larger fronts and rear discs.

dsc00303lf.jpg

got it running and drivable a few months ago, christened it the "ZOMBIE" for multiple reasons.

img0016pqm.jpgimg0054h.jpgimg0056om.jpg

Stock grill and turn signals are going to come off, and I'm going to put in a small block off plate in their place eventually.

I also have a special plan for paint on the doors that I haven't followed through with yet.

I spent a month driving it on a temp tag, but currently it's down while I sort out the problem of getting a bonded title.

• Like 2
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool! Nice job. There are a few folks out there who don't appreciate the 2+2. But I dig it. (I always liked the Volvo 1800ES too.) And this is a fun Ratsun on the cheap so extra +'s!

Thanks guys, The 2+2 wasnt my first choice, but it was the first good shell I could find that was in my price range.... as in, as close to free as I could get. I wasnt a huge fan at first, but it's grown on me quite a bit.

It's definitely a cobbled together POS, but it runs (rich as hell) and just as importantly stops. By far, one of the worst Z builds I've done in the last 5 years from a mechanical standpoint, but one of the most interesting.

As for what else is in my garage, at this point, not too much of interest. Turbo manifold, smoothed Non-egr n42 intake manifold, a slightly chewed on holset hx45 and an evo 9 intercooler. Theres also 3 L28's in varrying degrees of broken(I have a habt of collecting free motors when I can), a 4 speed(out of the 2+2) and a second set of those vintage wheels. The rest is all either spare or broken parts. I've actually been going through trying to clean the garage out today. I have to move in Feb, so I want to get everything ready for that.

And... I'm also considering putting together a turbo motor that I can sit on untill I have the money and time to invest in the EFI parts I'm missing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...