• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 8 months later...

a lighter wallet!!!!!!

it spins up faster.

But depends who you talk to. Some light heavy so you can have ezer take offs

some like light to rev up faster once moving.

trucks usaually have the heavy flywheels

the cars are lighter. in General.with some exceptions

lightening a cast flywheel if too light may explode. So billet aluminum are made at about 380$ for a 10-11 pounder

Anyone know some stock weights for L series flywheels... I know that the Z cars had a couple different size (for the clutch contact area) like 200mm, and 240mm? Is that right?

Anyway, I do know that a Y70 Maxima L6 flywheel is a lot lighter than a flywheel that would have come on a Z car, or any L20b... I can't remember exactly what it is, but I want to say it's around 20lbs, give or take a couple pounds... I'll do some tests later...

I U pulled a '82 Maxima flywheel a couple of months ago. Weighs about 19 1/2 lbs on my kitchen scale. My 610 L20B wheel is 26-27 lbs (maxed out the kitchen scale, so weighed it on a bathroom scale; probably not super accurate). The Maxima wheel is cast with a dished-out area on the crank side, where the heavier L20B is flat. I've seen a couple of posts with mention of 17 lb. wheels, although I'm not sure what they are from (I think early Maxima, but not sure). I'm curious how my Maxima wheel will work in my 510 with stock L20B when I get it back together. The car was L16 w. auto, so it will feel like a different car anyway . My only other point of reference is my '79 200SX with L20B and dogleg, but it is heavier than the 510, so the cars may feel different, even if they had the same weight flywheel. I'm not sure which tranny is going into the 510. I have a dogleg, but I also got a PU 5-speed from a 1980 720. I didn't want the expense of having the drive line cut and balanced, but found the 720 with the engine out and drive line unhooked. How could I resist?

my oe 75 280z flywheel was 28+lbs. got the local machine shop to whittle it down to 18lbs. cost $65.

I have also used an HKS 9.4lb flywheel on my turbo car. WOW! But Definately not for a truck or any 4cly with out a power adder. turbo/nos/etc.

just had the flywheel out of my buddies 200sx z22. super heavy.

I say have the local machine shop grind out as much as they feel is ok. Those guys got a pretty good grasp on what stress levels are ok.

Lightened makes alot of diff but IMO. no downside.

Unless maybe a 10lb on a work truck.. dah..

This is a 225mm from a truck, (engine side) and it weighs 29 lbs (bathroom scale so +-)

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/IMG_0345.jpg[/img]"]IMG_0345.jpg

This is a 225mm from a late '70s 280 Zcar, (engine side) weighs about 21 lbs.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/225mm21lb280Zflywheel.jpg[/img]"]225mm21lb280Zflywheel.jpg

This is a 200mm from a 200sx, (clutch side) weight... about 29 lbs.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/IMG_0348.jpg[/img]"]IMG_0348.jpg

This is a 240mm from an L20B, (clutch side) and weighs 23?? lbs on my super-critically accurate scales.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/IMG_0349.jpg[/img]"]IMG_0349.jpg

I've got a 200sx 200mm flywheel lightened to 20lbs on the L20b in my 4 door 510. The blue wagon has an L20b with a 29lb 200sx 200mm flywheel in it. The red wagon is getting a 20lb 225mm on the L20b going in there. The 20lb 200mm spins up way faster than the 29lb 200mm one.... Useless to you there Slo, but, I had mine done at Specialty Engineering up here.

Well I went up to the J/Y today and right next door is a scrap metal yard. They throw all the motors they get in a small pile so easy to shop for parts. Got a recently re-surfaced 21 lb. 240mm flywheel, you can see the machine marks on it and it isn't all mirror polished by the disc. . Speaking of which, it and the PP are in good shape too... $7.

Somebody on another forum mentioned that not all RWD Maximas had lighter flywheels. I had to pull the trans to get mine off. When I got the trans out of the way and looked at the flywheel, it looked just like my L20B one. I was sure I'd wasted a half hour pulling the trans. But when I got the last flywheel bolt out and lifted it off the crank, I could feel it had to be lighter. Also, the Maxima uses the 225mm clutch. This might be an issue if you have a new 200mm clutch already on your L20B.