my new 521

dat521gatherer

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it took longer but I got it back together the other day. It doesn't leak out of the valve like I was worried about. Unfortunately I ran into a few snags along the way mainly being I tried to pull off the wires on one motor and they both broke. Also I tried to change the blower for a cleaner one and ended hammering it off which fucked up the motor. So now it only works on high. I have another to swap in but thats for another day, maybe when I replace the heater hoses. I still need to put the knob on.

SANY6721.jpg

SANY6724.jpg

SANY6717.jpg

I think I'll still try to save this motor though there is no meat for soldering at the moment.

SANY6711.jpg

These particular motors are kinda cool, they are a flat disc and the brushes sit on them like a needle on a record player.

Whats really cool is that the motor doesn't stick out the back of the heater box very far, so if you want to relocate the heater box sideways, you don't have to make another big hole for the heater motor housing to stick threw the firewall.

Once these motors start to go away, they make a lot of noise doing just that, and they go away slowly, reminding you every minute over a long period of time.

Yeah while hammering on the blower to get it off the rear of the disc fell off. It is real interesting. I could have went with a regular motor but it leaves a big air gap between the motor that I didn't want to deal with and box and besides I think the flat style had a little more pep when I tested them on the battery.

SANY6708.jpg

Yeah while hammering on the blower to get it off the rear of the disc fell off. It is real interesting. I could have went with a regular motor but it leaves a big air gap between the motor that I didn't want to deal with and box and besides I think the flat style had a little more pep when I tested them on the battery.

SANY6708.jpg

Yes they seem to turn a little better/faster, but they also seem to wear out quicker, as I have went threw 2 of them so far.

I am saving the last one I have for special circumstances.

• 1 year later...

It's been a while. Today I put some door jamb dome light switches in. The dome light isn't very bright but when it's pitch black out it does get the job done. These were a dealer installed option but I've never actually seen a 521 have them except mine. Here are the parts I used. One newer style dome light with the extra ground wire which I will use to attach my wires that go to the switches. I f you don't want to buy the newer style you'll have to solder something together to attach your switch ground wires.

SANY5324_zps721081a0.jpg

I first removed the package tray, kick panels, scuff plates.

SANY5330_zpsdb9f3d60.jpg

Then I ran some temporary wires to fish the main wires coming down from the pillar.

SANY5338_zpsf536a590.jpg

I used a red wire on the left side cause I ran out of black. The hardest part is getting the wire to go down the inside of the pillar around where the sun visors mount. You have to be patient and good at fishing wires.

SANY5339_zps1305ca80.jpg

SANY5340_zps0d887ec2.jpg

SANY5341_zps13c9b1fa.jpg

SANY5336_zpsf72783d9.jpg

One red wire to the left driver switch and one black wire to the left passenger switch put together.SANY5345_zpsfda7d535.jpg

Done. Total time took me about a hour.SANY5347_zps7ed8eb4b.jpg

Edited by dat521gatherer
  • Like 3
  • 1 year later...

It's been a while since I added to this thread so today I tightened up the shifter.

My left to right shift swing went from 5.5 inches to 3.25 in neutral and 2.5 inches to 1.25 in gear.

My rubber bushings were fine. The problem lies with the bottom of the shift fork being too spread out making a gap. This happens to all 521's. What I did Is take the shift fork I call it and put it in a vice and bend the 4 little fork prongs closer together to the point where you have to tap it back down on the shaft for reassembly.  Everything else was super tight including a extra washer next to the spring someone added. I did not reinstall the extra washer as it was putting way too much pressure on the mechanism.

I've done this on 4 521's over the last 20 years and it's a sure fix not wearing loose anytime soon. I did add a washer to the right side of the bottom pin to take up the slack and keep the fork from spreading back out anytime soon.

I also put the trans cover on top of the floor mat for better aesthetics.

SANY8124_zps65xanoz7.jpg

SANY8128_zpsnbsgriuh.jpg

SANY8140_zpsodtkbtel.jpg

SANY8142_zps1oyokngj.jpg

SANY8143_zps8zczkpk5.jpg

• Like 3

I had all the new parts to replace thinking the spring might be broke but it was all in good shape so I'll hang on to parts. They were cheap from the dealer still available 3 years ago. I advise everyone to buy this stuff even if you don't need it at the moment.

SANY8139_zpspeaa9ld5.jpg

SANY8145_zps2judhfjn.jpg

SANY8148_zpssabjanzi.jpg

SANY8154_zpsvz3pyyqq.jpg

• Like 1

I cannot say I have ever seen such a clean floor covering, is this something you bought?

It's original. You can see on the first page how dirty it was when I bought it. It has a bad case of rust stained on the underside thats impossible to get off.

Lookin good.  Did you install that scuff plate?

Scuff plate? If you mean the trans tunnel cover they all are hidden under the mats. When I hear scuff plate I think of the aluminum plate that holds the bottom of the door seal to the body.

• Like 1

I cannot say I have ever seen such a clean floor covering, is this something you bought?

There were a couple different nos floor mats on ebay last year that went for crazy money. Tanker probably bought them. Hehe.

Clean!!

Thanks!

Good info. Ditto on your truck looking really clean!

Thank you.

Very nice my friend.

Thanks Tanker

• Like 2

There were a couple different nos floor mats on ebay last year that went for crazy money. Tanker probably bought them. Hehe.

That was Jay selling them, not sure if they sold or not, but they were to expensive for me.

That is a clean looking interior, it looks like it is all there, what does the dash top look like under the cover?

EDIT, I seen that I already asked about the dash 4 years ago, now I understand why it is covered, to keep it that way.  :thumbup:

• Like 1

I also put some leds in the dash lights. While I was in there I repaired a bad ground rivet  that would make my left blinker light stay lit in the first pic. I would reach under there and tap the circuit board and the blinker light would go out for a while then come back on and stay lit when I tried to use the left blinker. I had this same rivet problem with my fuel gauge falling to empty again I would reach under the dash and tap the gauge volt reg and my fuel needle would jump up.

SANY8033_zpslfsx1swb.jpg

This ground rivet should look like

SANY8037_zps81eyh3t1.jpg

This

SANY8038_zpsyaf6vqf6.jpg

So I drilled it out and put a screw in it. Fixed it.

SANY8042_zpsy2letoko.jpg

SANY8045_zpscqv2dcvn.jpg

SANY8050_zpsdobvlpkt.jpg

• Like 4