1971 PL521

nevada

I wanted to ask about the if anybody knew about the center console thing. i really would like to find something that would fit in a 521. i believe a have a 620 center console but it blocks the lower heater vent if i put it in. But i have seen a few 521s with similar center consoles as the brown one here and i was just wondering if they were out of some other vehicle like a courier or something or if its just like a generic thing, or if anyone knows at all haha. thanks.

That really looks like a walmart 15 dollar generic center console man. you can find those everywhere, probably a parts place too. you just screw them to the floor and done.. Im sure there are other solutions too

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The front axle looks to be a Dana 30 out of an Int'l Scout~ mini in the day, but you could hide a 521 inside it. Samurais sport the same lug pattern as jeeps~ 5x5.5". That "shim" under the steering box is a curious item~ and that tierod is downright scary! Dana 20's likely on the money as well, and- given the age of the donor parts the rear axle'd likely be a Dana 35, or *MAYBE* a 44. All these parts are plenty strong enough for all but the most abusive of drivers/conditions~ unless you put a smallblock in ot top of those front springs....

Scott

• 1 month later...

Also look for signs that this front axle was narrowed, once you get it all cleaned up.....

Also post some info on pirate4x4.com they would be able to identify all the parts under there, like we do Datsun stuff........They have Dana's on the brain....:P

I used to own a Scout II, used them for info when I did a disc conversion on my truck. This is more than likely a hybrid axle of different parts.(DANA stuff)

Hi all,

I seem to be having problems finding an L20b in my area. they all seem to be far enough away that its not cost effective to purchase. the only rebuilt ones i have seen are on ebay and they are going for around 1500 plus shipping. so i am open to help for sure!

Hi all,

I seem to be having problems finding an L20b in my area. they all seem to be far enough away that its not cost effective to purchase. the only rebuilt ones i have seen are on ebay and they are going for around 1500 plus shipping. so i am open to help for sure!

Hey there Nevada, I was talking more like the auto parts stores, I have purchased a rebuilt engine from them before, I still have it in the truck to this day, but it is a chevy 350 V8, probably one of the most comman blocks in this country, you could also check engine rebuilders. There are a lot of datsuns that came with the L20b, the 620 PU, the early 200SX till 1980ish, some of the wagons up to 1980ish, the first year of the 720 PU. I see on craigslist that you have that napZ engine for sale in that wrecking yard, that is probably the one you were looking at as a possible doner, it will fit, but you would need the transmission also, and probably the wiring harness will all the accessories as that engine has 8 spark plugs and two coils, basicly you really need the whole truck to make the swap, to make sure you have all the engine mounting hardware, tranny ect. It is an alright engine(napZ 2400), but if your going to make the effort, i would go with the KA, the guys seem to like them.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

would be cool if someone on here would snag it and build it up.

As it turns out, I'm the new Huckleberry! Yup, I got it from A guy in Vegas just a few months ago that sold it to me on eBay. Don't know if "Nevada" is the same guy, but going thru this entire post there is NO DOUBT this is the same truck! The funny thing to me is that he didn't seem to do a single thing to it! I'm starting a tear down of the engine this week, just repaired my pressure washer so the crud on the underside will be gone soon! Got the head in for rebuild, need a new radiator, dunked every bolt and part in cleaner, lots to do! I started another post as a new member, but i think I may just pick this post up where he left off, might be interesting! Hope you all stay interested, I can use all the encouragement this site has to offer!

He hasn't been on ratsun in about 3 months, and the last I heard, it was for sale.

Hey Wayno, thanks again for finding this thread for me, it would have been a shame for all the time folks put into this thread to go to waste, especially since so much was discovered for me before i ever took possession! I owe you!

I thought it might be yours, but was unsure after the year discrepancy.

You have your own thread for your truck, I put a link to this thread in your thread so you can access it anytime you want without looking for it.

The reason he did not do anything to the truck is because I don't beleave he knew how to do it, nor did he have the tools, he was trying to find an L20b for it, but finally just lost interest as he couldn't find anything local, and didn't know anyone local with a datsun to help him.

He thought about a conversion to a napZ engine out of a local wrecking yard, but I suspect I scared him with all the issues related to doing it, as it would not just bolt in.

I thought it might be yours, but was unsure after the year discrepancy.

You have your own thread for your truck, I put a link to this thread in your thread so you can access it anytime you want without looking for it.

The reason he did not do anything to the truck is because I don't beleave he knew how to do it, nor did he have the tools, he was trying to find an L20b for it, but finally just lost interest as he couldn't find anything local, and didn't know anyone local with a datsun to help him.

He thought about a conversion to a napZ engine out of a local wrecking yard, but I suspect I scared him with all the issues related to doing it, as it would not just bolt in.

When I got to Vegas and met him and the truck i wasn't sure if he knew anything about it's history, he really didn't have too much info to offer. But from what I saw, I knew I was ok on the purchase because I didn't see anything was really missing. What was apart was still accounted for, so it was a good enough deal for me. I admit I was a bit leery of buying a vehicle unseen except for pictures off of eBay, but I knew i wanted this project and was looking locally with no luck. My first priorities are to just get the engine running and get the truck registered and on the road, I'll think about aesthetics later on.

When I got to Vegas and met him and the truck i wasn't sure if he knew anything about it's history, he really didn't have too much info to offer. But from what I saw, I knew I was ok on the purchase because I didn't see anything was really missing. What was apart was still accounted for, so it was a good enough deal for me. I admit I was a bit leery of buying a vehicle unseen except for pictures off of eBay, but I knew i wanted this project and was looking locally with no luck. My first priorities are to just get the engine running and get the truck registered and on the road, I'll think about aesthetics later on.

What block is in it, L16, L20b? Personally I would not rebuild a L16 block, I would find a running L20b minimum, as it will bolt in, and then drive it for a while.

What block is in it, L16, L20b? Personally I would not rebuild a L16 block, I would find a running L20b minimum, as it will bolt in, and then drive it for a while.

I thought about going bigger, but part of the reason for the project in the first place is to replace a big block chevy daily driver. Having all the L16 engine parts makes it easier to keep the costs low for now, if I'm not happy with the power I can always barter a working L16 towards going to L20 later. I still have a complete engine from the previous L520 truck I used to own that I may sell down the road too.

This is my experience with the L16 block, I used to hangglide, therefore I would drive up logging roads every weekend, I found the L16 engine did not have the power to drive up the roads at a crawl, either I had to drive up fast, keeping the rpms up, or I was not going to make it up the hill, PERIOD.

The L16 just doesn't have the torque, it really was embarrassing to have to transfer hanggliders off my rig because my truck won't make it up the hill.

It only happened once, by the next weekend of flying it had an L20b/5 speed in it, and it would go up the hill in second gear at a crawl, the L16 wouldn't even go up that hill in first at a crawl.

Now that being said, you have a 4X4, and likely you have a low range, so that would fix your hill climbing issues to a point, but on the hiway you are not going to be passing anyone on any upgrades, fact is I was floored most the time going 70mph with my 4 spd.

If your into revving your engine at 4000rpms+ all the time, it might have enough horsepower to keep it going down the freeway at a decent pace most the time(hills and head winds???), but I am not into the high rpm thing.

You are moving more weight than a normal 521, and it sits higher than a normal 521, I would suggest focusing on a L20b minimum.