Layin out 620 for the first time

67stang

Hey everyone, I've decided it's finally time to put my '78 620 as low as it goes. My plans are to fab a full 3/4 frame from the firewall back and bag the crap out of it. I have no issues with the fabrication and building of it, I'm just lookin for some ideas and pics so I can try to decide what I want to do with the front and rear suspension, bed and all the other fun stuff that goes with it. I'm on somewhat of a budget so I'll build anything I can and try to spend the bulk of the money on the stuff I cant ( compressor, valves and the other goods).

With that, I would greatly appreciate any ideas and pics from those of you who have experience with bagged Datsuns and any other bagged projects.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

looks nice :D those decals look goooood

ive seen a burgundy 5hook tub bagged out and the idea they had for the bed was to raise the entire floor exactly how it was until it clears the frame notch/ suspension bits, which also leaves a fair bit of room to conceal the tank. and if you want to use the bed for anything (like carrying stuff) you still can, just sorta treat it like a flatbed and tie stuff down to the rails

if you were lookin for a clean idea that is :D look forward to progress!

When i 3 linked my 620 a few years back it was a budget job like you mentioned. I kept my gas tank in the stock location but raised it 2 inches so it's above the frame...

1249761499.jpg

I even used the stock shackle plates as my lower shock mounts :D ...

1248926315.jpg

My step notch is 6 inches & im running 17 inch rims..i can easily stuff 18's with room to spare.

I want to stay all Datsun with this build, I'm trying to stay away from a body drop, I want to go with 2x4 tubing on it's side under the cab. Being a regular cab the tubes won't be that long and after consulting with some engineers at work, it should have no problem holding the weight. I will have to raise the tranny tunnel for that though.

2*4 on its side is no better structurally than 2*2, as your strength is in the vertical section of the steel. Most guys that build frame rails out of 2*2 run 4 rails total, and still complain about flex. Since the frame on these trucks are about 4.25" tall, going with a two inch tall frame rail and not body dropping it would be a waste of time, seeing how you'd have to fab up the body mounts to be in the stock location in relation to the top of the new frame rails, that are now going to be 2.25" lower than top of the body mounts at this point, so might as well make them 2" lower. Laying these things out on an 18" wheel without drop spindles in a pain in the ass, I wish I would have gone with a Toyota front clip with drop spindles on mine, or you could run a smaller wheel. I'm going to z the frame on mine.

Here are a few build threads that may help:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/5775-75-and-85-long-beds-from-oz/

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/16940-lownslows-project-sik20/

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/6208-project-kaoss-bagged-and-bodied-620/page__pid__379494__st__80#entry379494

There are a couple more 620 build threads on this site, okcminis.com and dfwminis.com

• 2 weeks later...

welcome! I have this same idea for my next truck, and I have some of this designed up already. I'd like to help you with some of this build if you need it/want it as I've done a few of these already and could help keep you from going down the wrong path or getting discouraged.

if its a budget and you dont wanna body drop it just Z the frame a build a notch then bag it. if you decide to body drop it just channel the cab floor and drop the front frame horns.

i went with a 79 toyota front clip narrowed 4" 3/4 2x3 frame 3 high and had to channel the floor anyways to lay rocker not pinch.

The build is goin nice and slow due to the fact that I spend my the week in Portland and only get to work on it during the weekends, I'll get some good quality time to spend on her this weekend hopefully I can get some good pics to post with the new progress. I've decided to use the stock frame with a c-notch rear and z the front to lay it down, once the frames done I'll do the body drop to put it to the ground.

The 720 is my little brothers also, he recently blew up the l20 I built so I sold him the l20 out of my 620 that's bored .30 that's gonna get an l18 peanut head. Since I sold that to him I've just decided to throw a KA in the 620, I've got a line on one that's a runner that I'm gonna pick up from a guy at work.

• 3 months later...

So after weeks of pondering and stripping the frame donw I have decided to change directions for this build. Living out here in Oregon and doing the things I like to do maked a 4x4 way more desireable for me at the time, so I've decided on a straight axle swap. Over the past few weeks I've accumulated some parts for the build including Chevy 63" leafs for the rear, Toyota lift springs for the front, hopefully a set of toyota axles from an 80 4x4 with the capability of a fj40 brake conversion that are both locked (if the deal goes through) and best of all a KA24e and 5 speed from a 1989 240. Im in the process of looking for a divorced transfer case out of a 720 to make this thing climb whatever i point it at, once i find that its all about putting some time in and building it.

So once again, if anyone has gone through this type of a build throw out some ideas and pics. My budget is still fairly small but its gotten a little bigger since I work 50-60 hours a week, it has paid off being patient with buying parts, I've gotten some pretty good deals so far.