Most HP ever from a n/a L4 Nissan L20b

Mrfixit

well since its on Facebook it must be true 

sounds like the guy might be able to do it but will it be street able or just good for racing 

rebello 2150 puts out about 155 hp and 155 ft lbs torque at the crank 

• Like 1
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well since its on Facebook it must be true 

sounds like the guy might be able to do it but will it be street able or just good for racing 

rebello 2150 puts out about 155 hp and 155 ft lbs torque at the crank 

What you call the 2150, I had in my street car when I was young. Mine had a huge cam, but in a hydraulic grind so it ramped up slowly before smashing the valves open, so it wasn't as hard on the valvetrain as a race cam, but had nearly as much lift. The head was pretty much "full race" ported and the compression was just over 10:1. I ran dual phh 44's on a long runner Nissan Comp intake and a Nissan Comp header with a merge collector and 2.5" exhaust.

With a good amount of tweaking, it ran very smoothly at low RPM's and was very streetable, though the upper end (valvetrain) had to be gone through about every year, so not maintenance free.

Mine made 210 hp at the flywheel. Back in 1996.

Your cam is probably a close derivative of the cam I had (Dave toned it down a bit to reduce the stress on the valvetrain), so the only things separating your engine from mine could be the porting (possibly) and the carburetion. I know you've had yours tuned recently, but know that there's more there, if you want it!

• Like 1

Highest HP L20b I know of is Tony Knight's work on a rally L20b that made 240hp, was limited to the 2.0l bottom end.

After he crushed the SR20s on the field, they told him to jump up a class and now it's got a 2.3L bottom end under it.

Would have been a fully streetable engine too...made 75% of max torque by 2800rpm.

What you call the 2150, I had in my street car when I was young. Mine had a huge cam, but in a hydraulic grind so it ramped up slowly before smashing the valves open, so it wasn't as hard on the valvetrain as a race cam, but had nearly as much lift. The head was pretty much "full race" ported and the compression was just over 10:1. I ran dual phh 44's on a long runner Nissan Comp intake and a Nissan Comp header with a merge collector and 2.5" exhaust.

With a good amount of tweaking, it ran very smoothly at low RPM's and was very streetable, though the upper end (valvetrain) had to be gone through about every year, so not maintenance free.

Mine made 210 hp at the flywheel. Back in 1996.

Your cam is probably a close derivative of the cam I had (Dave toned it down a bit to reduce the stress on the valvetrain), so the only things separating your engine from mine could be the porting (possibly) and the carburetion. I know you've had yours tuned recently, but know that there's more there, if you want it!

the 155 was just the number that came out of daves mouth but I think he plays his stuff down a bit 

supposedly that was tuned with the mikuni 44,s  but I would like to put it on a dyno sometime just for kicks

I have Weber 40,s on it for now

• Like 1

the 155 was just the number that came out of daves mouth but I think he plays his stuff down a bit 

supposedly that was tuned with the mikuni 44,s  but I would like to put it on a dyno sometime just for kicks

I have Weber 40,s on it for now

Next time you ask him a question like that, take notice of his face when he answers. I think he gets a little pleasure from playing it down. It shows in his face.

• Like 1

Troy Ermish has a street (oriented) Bulebird Coupe in his garage right now with a Rebello built 2.2 that dynoed at 237hp on the bench. Engorgeousity 11.5:1 compression and 110 race gas. Just talked to Troy and had to revise the numbers.

Coupeside.jpg

coupegrill.jpg

coupemotor.jpg

• Like 1

Next time you ask him a question like that, take notice of his face when he answers. I think he gets a little pleasure from playing it down. It shows in his face.

I was happy as hell when i met him and i wouldn't have been able to read his face even if i knew how 

you know him alot better than i do 

but i really like how he treated me at his shop 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

With enough ingenuity, 250 should be possible.  Folks in Australia confirmed 230+ on a relatively tame cam.  I played with cam design software until I cam up with a cam that suggested 313 hp capability on my particular L20b, which we all know is a stretch.  Then the numbers I gave Schneider Cams got chewed up and spit back out at a higher duration (lower cylinder pressures) and more lift.  I'm hoping it still pans out, and likely it will make more hp than I had planned on.  I will be sorely disappointed if my engine doesn't achieve 230 at the flywheel, and it may not.  Running dual DCOE 50s, 15.2:1 compression.  No, it'll never, ever see the street, with the exception of a few car shows.    

This is the Tony Knight "fuck the SR20" project. Highest L20B power I know of in a more-than-one-dyno pull kinda way.

http://www.performanceforums.com/forums/showthread.php?67302027-Doing-some-stupid-shit-to-an-old-datsun-head

He does like I do-shows you all the details-but even though I know exactly how he did it, I would never claim to be able to copy what he's done and achieve the same result!

I have a few spare E88 castings that are going to get this treatment for the L6, however-and I might just do my old 210 casting that I use for mock-ups!