My New 68 2 door :D

Icehouse

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW it's been a while since I've posted anything in here. I've done a few things but nothing major enough to post about (or I've been to lazy :D )

Well about a week ago my L series decided to die :( Not to worry it will be getting a new one soon :D I've been slowly building the EFI, which will now be put up closer to my #1 priority, not that I hate driving my truck the car is just way more comfy :D

Here are some pics of my "custom" mani. Talk about a pain in the ass!!!! I want it to look bad ass when I'm done :D When I decide I was going to make it out of 4" mandrel bent tubbing I thought to myself. "I'm going to design this mani like a girl would pick out clothing. Fuck function I want it to look cool!!!" You will see as the pics unfold what I mean :D Next week I should have some newer pics with hopefully a finished product :D The one major thing I changed was I milled off the flange so it wouldn't look so home made. So far I have about 11hrs in the production..... Just the thought of listening the my old solex carbs pop and sputter down the freeway is really good motivation though :D

First I had to find out approximately the spacing on the runners. It's funny being so exact since the mani is cast anyway :D

daves%20car%20004.JPG"

Then I had to program the wholes in the Acurite. One of my favorite tools :D

daves%20car%20005.JPG

Making sure the pipe is perfect straight after it's welded, gotta thing about the end product. Polished and blinging.

daves%20car%20010.JPG

Looks gangster but to big....

daves%20car%20008.JPG

better but still a little big....

daves%20car%20011.JPG

Test fitting in Dave's car. It's going to need to be shrunk down a tad :D

daves%20car%20012.JPG

Milling the flange off. Which I haven't done much since :(

daves%20car%20013.JPG

DUDE! some guy on Hybrid Z made a 6-cyl L-series manifold similar to that! :D haha

Looks really good. It goes off the basic idea of the RB series intake manifold that Greddy makes. "SR" I think has one too.

Let me know when you're ready to start the L28 turbo intake manifold. I'll save my money to pay you.

DUDE! I drew that manifold about 6 years ago! Just like that, using a DCOE style manifold, and a plenum with a shape just like that... my plan at the time was to use a mechanical fuel injection like on a early watercooled VW.

Yeah I've started a few other EFI projects for L series engines but this one is actually going on :D

2eDeYe;188000']Nice' date=' putting those work tools to good use :D

Call me ;)[/quote']

HAHA yep, thank you EI :D

DUDE! some guy on Hybrid Z made a 6-cyl L-series manifold similar to that! :D haha

Looks really good. It goes off the basic idea of the RB series intake manifold that Greddy makes. "SR" I think has one too.

Let me know when you're ready to start the L28 turbo intake manifold. I'll save my money to pay you.

I can't make it as good as mine though, I don't want you to beat me in a race :D

dam! thats sexy.... really it is. :cool:

so what are you gonna use for a computer? ka?

I got a new MegaSquirt unit :D YEAH!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have quite a few updates on the car. I've spent about 8 more hours on the intake mani, no pics though... :( Wait I just found one!!!

wagon%20even%20lower%20020.JPG

While I was at the beach the weekend before last my good buddies Frank and Dave installed a running L16 in my dime!!! Yeah damn I love those guys :D If you don't know who they are here is a good pic of them.

IMG_2078.jpg

So the newest project on my car is getting it ready for paint. Geoff needs the car by the end of the month so he can get some paint on it! Man I've always had beaters so I'm really excited about it. Me and frank are going to fix all the rust issues plus the squished front end. Since we like tough jobs we did the front end first here are some pics of how it went.

68%20front%20002.JPG

That is the new chunk we cut off a 69 foor door that wasn't work saving.

68%20front%20003.JPG

68%20front%20007.JPG

A few spot weld drill bits later

68%20front%20011.JPG

68%20front%20012.JPG

68%20front%20013.JPG

epoxy primer and we called it a night.

Duuuude that mani is pure sex bro! You da man!

Thanks!!! If only I could do real art :D

where u been? :D

That looks like a Greddy manifold. ;) nice job.

Greddy went out of bossiness from what I have heard so I had to build my own :D

I've been up north.

I saw you driving to Hainz's house the other day :D

Dang...I guess I'll have to get onboard with this thread if you're going to be putting up machining pics! :)

That mani is so sweet! Did you radius the holes in the plate before welding it together?

You guys make that core support replacement look easy! I feel like such a slug now! :(

Great work Ice!!!!! I'm definitely jelous of the machines you have access too!!!

Nice work, Jeff!

I'm kinda nervous about the final weld around the plate, I'm a decent tig welder but that's a long way to stack nickels :D

Dang...I guess I'll have to get onboard with this thread if you're going to be putting up machining pics! :)

That mani is so sweet! Did you radius the holes in the plate before welding it together?

You guys make that core support replacement look easy! I feel like such a slug now! :(

Great work Ice!!!!! I'm definitely jelous of the machines you have access too!!!

Those are just the machines I know how to run, if only I knew how to run the full on CNC machines :(

Yes I radiused the intake ports, I did it by hand just because going from the cast runners to the round wholes wasn't perfect it seemed like a better idea. I still haven't fully welded the plenum on it's just tacked so I can remove it and weld the inside.

The core support is easier with 2 people and 2 welders that's for sure! It's just time consuming, and it's defiantly not perfect just way better than it was. I figure its my daily so we shouldn't get to carried away.

Your not a slug Mike, it's just machining takes FOREVER! I can't believe how long it takes to mill anything. Sometimes at work I will spend hours making stupid spacers or more complex proto types. I will post them in the machining thread soon.

2eDeYe;194034']I'll say it too...that intake looks great :cool:

I think Frank needs to do a photo shoot of the black car ;)

Frank doesn't know how to run a computer though :D Your going to have to talk to Dillon :D

Thought I would post a pic of my dime since its on the road. We spent a couple days and got it together for Canby. Well I've been driving it ever since even though it needs a few things :D I was originally trying to get a FJ20et from Bob harald but after calling him every Friday for a month or so I figured he wasn't in to big of a hurry to sell it. Now I keep thinking I should try and keep it stock since there is no sense having a SR 510 and an FJ 510. At the moment I don't mind the L series but carbs do get old haha. I guess if I wasn't missing some linkage they wouldn't be so bad haha. So at least for now the plan is to keep it as stock as possible. Lowering it doesn't count though :D

Me%20looking%20sexy%20next%20to%20my%20dime.jpg"

i didnt know jesus drove a datsun :D

Got most the paint stripped off and almost all the interior out. A few more rust repairs and she will be ready for paint!!

A%20series%20manifold%20004.JPG

Found this kinda weird, never noticed the bolt wholes in the back that line up perfect for a handle...

A%20series%20manifold%20006.JPG

Got most the paint stripped off and almost all the interior out. A few more rust repairs and she will be ready for paint!!

A%20series%20manifold%20004.JPG

Found this kinda weird, never noticed the bolt wholes in the back that line up perfect for a handle...

A%20series%20manifold%20006.JPG

if i still had a 2 door i would rock some handles