high idle and no power up top

77Datsun620

I took some more pics of the carb this morn. The first is the throttle open and the next with it closed. The other two are out of the manual. According to the manual, the linkage keeps the secondary from opening until the primary reaches 50%, then the linkage moves away from the roller pin on the secondary enough to allow the vacuum dashpot to open up the secondary plate. Hope this helps. Dan

101_0111.jpg

101_0110.jpg

101_0109.jpg

101_0108.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I probably need some help on arranging the pics on a post. I noticed someone had to re-arrange the post that I did yesterday with the carb pics. I see that the last one I did is very large and out of context. I may need to downsize the pics before I transfer them from photobucket. The pic with my hand in it is the one with the throttle open and the other it is closed. If someone could post a brief helpful hint on doing a better post with pics, I would appreciate it. Thanks, Dan

77datsun620

Im confused by this statement:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok just to clarify, its not the choke it works fine, i was just wondering where the wire goes if i wanted to hook it up.

well if its working the the 12volt wire is already hooked up.

PS Hitachis are harder to rebuild for the novice. I dont feel comfortable doing it. Next chance get a Weber DGV and throw that Hitachi in the nearest River,

well remove the throttle linkage first ,it fits on a DGV.

the weber DGV will set you FREE

That statement had me wondering also? If the blue wire (12V) from the wiring harbness is not connected to the short wire coming from the choke, then the auto choke can't be working right. This is an electric assist auto choke. It sounds like that 77Datsun's problem is with the secondary plate not opening. You are right about going to the Weber, Hainz. If I didn't have a re-built Hitachi for $50, I would have splurged and got the Weber and adapter. I'll try to add a couple more smaller pics of the linkage. Dan

101_0110.jpg1.jpg[/img]

It didn't show up because one link got pasted in the middle of the other link. You can see part of the text of the one that doesn't show up before and after the pic that does show up.

Also if you want to type the title of the pic, hit enter after the text, before the link for the pic. basically in your post you want it to look like this:

TITLE OF PIC

your pic link here

Then hit enter again. Basically you want a blank space between the text and the pic to seperate them, or between the pic links to seperate them ;)

2eDeYe;38854']It didn't show up because one link got pasted in the middle of the other link. You can see part of the text of the one that doesn't show up before and after the pic that does show up.

Also if you want to type the title of the pic' date=' hit enter after the text, before the link for the pic. basically in your post you want it to look like this:

TITLE OF PIC

[img']your pic link here[/img]

Then hit enter again. Basically you want a blank space between the text and the pic to seperate them, or between the pic links to seperate them ;)

Thanks Redeye! I think I'm finally getting the hang of it. It takes a little longer to teach us "old dogs" new tricks. Ha!

Sorry for the confusing statement. The choke isnt hooked up, so its not working, but the choke plate is 1/4" open when cold, and opens more when it is hot, so the choke plate isnt closing and choking the carb out. I have never seen the second barrel open at all under its own power. But when the motor is running and you manually open the second barrel, it runs like a raped ape, so i know that the problem is the carb. Im guessing the diaphram has a hole or a rip in it, if you think its something else feel free to say what it is. As for the weber, i will get one down the road, but moneys to tight atm, so a rebuild kit for the hitachi is what i have to do. I will not be doing the rebuild, i have a good family friend that will do it, and it will be done right.

Do you wanna hook up the choke?

if its a 1/4 when cold ,it will still be a 1/4 closed with the key off anyways just heats up faster(the choke open up faster)

relying on the residual heat from the motor to open the choke is kinda half ass. otherwise wire the choke plate open and just pump the gas to get it started in the morning.

a half closed choke will give higher idle and if the wire was not hooked up that could be soem of the proplem(untill its warmed up,some cars do this some dont)

YOu have to make sure that plate is 100percent open otherwise you still could loose TOPEND power as your orginal statement.

also If the rebuilt kit has a new diaphrame for the 2nd barrel just change that and dont rebuild the WHOLE carb. This will eliminate more proplems or other self induced proplems incase it rebuilt wrong.

Im wondering if you could rev it up , then put your hand over the main side of the carb and see if the secondary opens UP with the vacuum generated. then youll know if it works or not.

If you ever seen a Hitachi rebuild kit youll say "FUCK ME"! on how many little gaskets it has.

the weber DGV has like 3 gaskets, a needle valve and a acell pump diaphrame

i got the rebuilt kit today and no diaphram, and yes its like 12,000,000 pieces in the box :blink: While at the parts store, we had to look in the books for a diphram, and all the ones that datsun called for was wrong, but we found one from a hitachi DCH340 from a mazda, so i have to call tomorrow to get availablity and price, unless someone knows where i can get one from?

And Ill hook up the choke to see if it works, but all i have to do to start it in the morning today it was 35 degrees out and 1 pump of the gas and it fired right up and idled good. I have a manual choke from an older ford truck, maybe ill do a manual choke cable and junk the electric choke.:lol:

Hainz if i wanted to just wire it open, what do you think would be the best way? just wire the linkage to the choke?

thake the screw out back the the round plastic cover

when you remove the cover youll see a coil in back . Looks like a ringworm.

then just look at the carb where you took the cover off and there is just a lever. move this and the choke plate will open close.

they sell cheezy eletric choke to manual conversions(taiwan)

it just kit with 2 plastic covers and a cable for you to rig to the lever to open and close it.

somethiing similart to the but a manual version(they are cheap) or just wire it back somehow

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=choke+conversion&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=700+-128233+115

Another option to convert to manual choke is to do what I did on my '80, 720 KC. It has the L20B, 5 speed and when the auto choke crapped out on the Hitachi, I did like Hainz said and unpluged the 12V wire from the choke and removed the 3 screws from the bi-metal choke mechanism which allows you to remove the back half of the round mechanism. This will expose the coil and the bracket that operates the choke plate. The top of the little bracket already has a hole drilled in it so all you need to do is go to the auto parts place and just buy a generic "pull cable and housing kit" ($6.95). Run the cable through your firewall somewhere near the carb or brake booster, mount the pull knob under your dash somewhere handy, then clamp the cable housing down near the carb somewhere so the housing don't move and then bend a couple fo 90 degree bends in the cable and hook it into the little drilled hole in the choke bracket so that when you push and pull the knob, it will open and close the choke plate. Some simple adjustments may be necessary. Of course the best thing to do is hook up your 12v wire and see if the auto choke works first. If you can't find the blue wire with the round, female connector that goes to the auto choke, then I believe (correct me if I'm wrong, somebody) you can find a wire under the hood that is 12v supply when the engine is running and wire your choke up to it.

yeah once i have the carb rebuild and working right ill attack the choke, as i said i have a choke cable assembly from an older ford truck, but ill try to hook up the electric choke, the wire is attached to the choke already, its just wrapped up and disconnected so i should find the wire it goes too. my diaphragm will be in Tuesday, so then i can get my carb rebuilt :) and my new Tach showed up today :cool: