620 SnowMobile?

DatDoug

Threw the studs on the truck the other day so I could get around in the snow. Drives pretty good for a 1 tire fire low rider :P Thot it looked cool with the icecicles hangin down. Looks like whiskers in the front :D

downsized_1123001511.jpg

downsized_1123001512.jpg

downsized_1123001512a.jpg

downsized_1123001512b.jpg

downsized_1123001512c.jpg

downsized_1123001511a.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a 521 in the late '70s and I agree. They will go unbelievable places with snow tires. I had 225s all round and cranked the front up and used to go down ski-doo trails. The snow was hard packed and the truck was light. Chevs and Fords couldn't follow me. Even went through fields with over a foot of snow.

Only down side was the shitty heater on them.

I had a 521 in the late '70s and I agree. They will go unbelievable places with snow tires. I had 225s all round and cranked the front up and used to go down ski-doo trails. The snow was hard packed and the truck was light. Chevs and Fords couldn't follow me. Even went through fields with over a foot of snow.

That sounds a little hard to believe, unless they were 2x2 fords and chevys

I agree Mike /\ . I need to switch over to my winter thermostat asap!

DatDoug your truck looks sweet! I'm running studded arctic claws and they kick ass! I drive the snowy highway everyday and everyday there has been someone in the ditch.But not the 620! (Knocking on wood now)

Rich

Do you guys run tube sand or anything in your beds? Last year I ran a 50# bag of tube sand directly on top of my rear axle, and honestly didn't see much of a difference than when running nothing back there. Just curious..

I am a big fan of a 195 degree thermostat now. The heater in my 720 works so good now I can drive around with just a t-shirt on in 10 degree weather! PLus I fixed the speeds on teh control thanks to Datzenmike :) ..Add in some cable "chains", and I would rather drive my truck in the snow and ice than any front wheel drive car I've ever tried driving in the winter :D It's actually kind of fun, but would be a whole lot funner without the Hummer = invincible crowd on the road..

Weight over the wheels helps them to dig in, in deep snow/mud but usually you need in the hundreds to notice anything. The drawback is changing direction or stopping on ice or poor traction. Each pound you add is another pound that increases forward inertia adding distance to a slide. Another is oversteer on corners or braking on poor traction. The heavier back end wants to 'come around' on you.

Snow tires have experienced a revolution in design and grip like nothing before. You can also run lower tire pressure when cold. This increases traction at the expense of mileage. Running lower pressure causes them to flex the sidewalls more and this makes heat which over time will destroy a tire, usually suddenly. I say in the winter because it's colder and heating is less. Perhaps lower pressure to get out of a snow situation and then air up next chance. Never run severely low or low for long periods at high speeds.

I usually drive one of my rustiest 620's in the winter time. They drive excellent, far better than my Chevy S-10 I had. I didn't add any weight, usually drive with Blizzak Snow Tires but last year, I drove my 73 with good condition normal tires and it did good. I was getting too daring one night, and I spun it out on some snow covered S corners at 50mph. I spun all the way around 1.5 times and went off the road backwards. I got out of my truck and looked at it. I thought I was going to have to get it towed out because the snow was as high as the top of the bed. All it took was a couple rocks and I was going down the road again. There was a foot of snow in the road and 2 to 3 feet of snow off the road.

This year I'm not driving a datsun for the winter. I figured I'd switch it up and drive my 63 Mercury.

• 2 weeks later...