Found a 72 KC

opalbeetle

Good day lads and lasses,

I found a 72 KC and am going to look at it this weekend. Is there anything that I should be looking for that might be a red flag? Also are there major differences between the early 620s and the later 620s other than brakes?

I have a 73 regular cab as well, and am wondering how many of the body parts etc interchange.

Thanks in advance,

Todd

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a 72 KC and am going to look at it this weekend. Is there anything that I should be looking for that might be a red flag? Also are there major differences between the early 620s and the later 620s other than brakes?

I have a 73 regular cab as well, and am wondering how many of the body parts etc interchange.

Thanks in advance,

Todd

they donr't have such a thing as a 72 king cab..it has to 76+...lol

Radio

Thanks in advance,

Todd

Although there were 620s built in April of '72 which would make it a '72 model year truck, the KC wasn't available until the mid '70s. So someone has maybe swapped a cab onto a reg length wheelbase frame or juggled the VIN numbers from an early truck onto a much later truck, which is, of course likely illegal. Don't let the owner try to tell you it was registered properly, frame number changed, blah, blah. Make sure the numbers match and everything is above board at the DMV. Don't get caught owning a vehicle that can't be registered or one that is registered but can be pulled off the road because it has a stolen frame or VINs don't match the paperwork. Just saying...

Early 620 were regular cab short wheelbase. The regular cab long wheelbase was added in '74?ish. The KC was added in '76?ish and fits on the same frame as the reg cab long wheelbase. In '77 a 5 speed was optional. In '78 disc brakes were added to the front, larger master cylinder, EI (electronic ignition) distributor, IR (internal regulated) alternator, ball joint steering instead of king pins. In '79 a cab chassis option (dual rear wheels) was offered also known as a camper special, with no box supplied.

Not sure about the door tag back then If there is one it should have the build date on it.

There should be a Vehicle ID plate under the hood on driver's side inner fender. The car number should match the number on the frame.

The vehicle serial number is stamped into the top of the frame forward of the pass side motor mount. It should match the paper work. A '73 should say PL 620 XXXXXX.