How to Powder Coating 2 colors

fivetenzen

I've been powder coating some of my Datsun Parts for my cars and trucks - some I sell on Ebay. But just powder coated some valve covers for a friend. I talked him into letting me try doing them in 2 colors. So here is how I did it. I did prep as always and then coated the first color, the raised color. which in this case was orange. After I did 2 coats of orange and let it cool, I shot the Ultra Chrome, after I took a paper towel and wipe the power of the orange you want to be exposed. I used the tip of my finger and had it just a little damp, changing it often. Make sure to go over it one more time before baking it. It all shows up if you miss even just a little bit. If you want more info let me know and I can post more. It is amazing how clean the parts come out.

DSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just really doing it for practice - but here is the deal - you buy the powder coat and pay shipping for the valve cover + 20 bucks for my time-electric-glass bead blasting time. I will do it for you. I will do the best I can, I like doing a good jobs so won't do anything half assed, like I said will do the best I can. Tell me what you want and will give it a try. I have found the smoother the metal, the better it turns out. So prep is the key. I will glass bead blast it, you send it to me clean, no gobs of oil. I will take it apart. The PCV valve will have to come out because of the glue. But have figured out how to do that over the years. So go to roseys and find the colors you want - order them and have them shipped to me, of you can ship them with the valve cover. 1lb is plenty and can do some other small parts for you if you want there is plenty of powder. But remember I have to glass bead it - bake it to get the oil out of the metal - bead blast it again and then powder coat it and bake it. I have been doing 2 color coats, one chrome, and one clear coat. Clear coat isn't a must but does bring out the gloss. I've done intakes - distributers - alternater brackets - SU carbs domes - So will to do it but you got to pay for the materials. I can send back the extra powder coat or keep it does not matter to me. I will try and get it back to you as fast as I can - Some parts I might have so would be willing to exchange so you don't have to much down time if it is your daily driver. I think I have a valve cover so just as long as yours is in good shape should be no problem. I can also tell you how to powder coat. It really isn't that hard.

http://www.roseyspowdercoating.com/

I really want to start powder coating. But I need a big enough oven. Basically I want to powder coat bike frames. So a diy oven looks to be in my future.

Are you just using an old house oven for this (not to be confused with the oven in your kitchen)? Or do you have a nice oven set up?

Im thinking of getting a nice metal cabinet and insulating it and some sheet metal on the inside. Rip the control panel and the broil element out of an oven and shoving it inside. Just got to figure out how to insulate the door, and run 220v to the oven...

• Like 1

I really want to start powder coating. But I need a big enough oven. Basically I want to powder coat bike frames. So a diy oven looks to be in my future.

Are you just using an old house oven for this (not to be confused with the oven in your kitchen)? Or do you have a nice oven set up?

Im thinking of getting a nice metal cabinet and insulating it and some sheet metal on the inside. Rip the control panel and the broil element out of an oven and shoving it inside. Just got to figure out how to insulate the door, and run 220v to the oven...

That's what we did with an old free stainless pizza warmer. Gutted all the inside, and then just put all the guts from an old free house oven inside and it works great. Another buddy of mine, got 2 free home ovens off craigs list, then took the front off one and cut the back out of the other one. Then put them together to make one long one. It's not pretty, lol, but it works great, and it was basically free,

Right now I do use just and old kitchen oven, but have plans on paper to make and oven that will do bike frames - bumpers - rearends - crossmembers. It will be 30 X 40 X 72 . It uses 2 old ovens has windows and lights. made with sheet metal and has a track system in the bottom to mount items and roll them in on a rack. Maybe I should take pictures when I get around to it. But for right now this little oven will do everything I need except my rear cross member. I can do that with a heat lamp. I am going to powdercoat my L20B block in the next month or so. I will post pictures of the engine build. It is going to be Pretty :)

Right now I do use just and old kitchen oven, but have plans on paper to make and oven that will do bike frames - bumpers - rearends - crossmembers. It will be 30 X 40 X 72 . It uses 2 old ovens has windows and lights. made with sheet metal and has a track system in the bottom to mount items and roll them in on a rack. Maybe I should take pictures when I get around to it. But for right now this little oven will do everything I need except my rear cross member. I can do that with a heat lamp. I am going to powdercoat my L20B block in the next month or so. I will post pictures of the engine build. It is going to be Pretty :)

Soooooo....Temp? Time in oven for aluminum?.....or is that relative to size and or thickness

Was thinking of these....

P8130018.jpg

But....just the inside part of the rim, where the 'rivets' are.

Soooooo....Temp? Time in oven for aluminum?.....or is that relative to size and or thickness

Was thinking of these....

P8130018.jpg

But....just the inside part of the rim, where the 'rivets' are.

Rosey's powder coat has the temp and time for the powderon the label, they have different times and temps. The metal isn't the factor, size and thickness does change things a bit. You do have to sort of look at it but not rocket science. They tell you to let it stay in the oven 15 mins or so after it glosses over. I can only stress the smoother the metal the better it will turn out. Clean and prep them good. I have gone over powder coat and over chrome. Hope this helps - oh and I only use the powder coat gun from Harbor freight

So how many coats of powder coat can you do? I have seen two, color then clear, but I have also seen some fade jobs, some weird multistage metallics... Is it just til the powder wont cling anymore?

I haven't had that problem yet, the most I powdercoated is 6 coats. But have read there is a point where the powdercoat just doesn't cling to the metal and doesn't coat even. Which I can see would screw up the end result. You really don't need lots of coats if one color, its not like paint. One or 2 good coats will do. But remember to just cover it and not to thick either. After you do some small parts you will get the feel for it.

• 2 weeks later...

quick question - you have to cook the powder coat right?...... can you use a toaster oven?..... i dont have room for a normal size oven

fivetenzen - awsome work - would love to get some stuff done to my truck - great thread

You sure can if it fits it will work, you can also do it with heat lamps. But just don't use the oven again for your poptarts :)

i did not think you could two tone with powder coat

You can, there is a point the powder is to thick the powder will not stick to the cured powder, the electrostac draw just isn't there and the powder doesn't coat to well. But sure you could do 3 or 4 colors with some patients. I will be trying some soon and will post pictures

• 2 months later...

for any of you guys interested in DIY powder-coating, go check out the forum over at caswell plating. far and away the best diy help source on the net for Powder Coating. They can answer any technical questions and also have a complete sub forum dedicated to oven building. I build my own oven that is 36x36x60 with help from the guys on there and it works awesome. Rosey's is a great source for powder. I buy most of mine there as I only live about 20 miles from there, but there are tons of sources on the internet that offer additional colors even beyond the excellent selection offered by roseys.

This is the link to the Caswell coating forum

• 2 weeks later...

Great work fivetenzen. Thanks for sharing!

I've got an old kitchen oven and a toaster oven...both work just fine. I bought most of my powder from powderbythepound.com or Eastwood.

I would recommend getting an infrared thermometer that will read 400deg+. I'm pretty sure that when they talk about the temp required to melt the powder, it's based on the surface temp of the part. I'm assuming that if you were to put a cold part with powder into a hot oven, it can melt the outer surface of the powder, but not get a good melt or adhesion at the part surface. I imagine that's only an issue on really thick parts.

One thing I came across....probably on the Caswell forum...... take a heavy, thick item, like a brake drum or old rotor.....put it in the oven for about 15min.....take a reading with the thermometer to see if the part temp matches the stove's temp setting. I played around with mine for about an hour and a half before I got the part at 350deg and then 400deg.....and marked the temp dial. With my stove set on 350, the part was over 400. Some powders will burn if you get them too hot, so if the stove is actually cooking at 450 when it's set to 375.....it would be nice to know before you start burning powder :)

There's another thread on the forum about powdercoating.....if someone finds it, put a link here and one of this one on the other......so we can tie the info together. Great stuff!!