Is nissan bringing back the Datsun?

Craig

New Datsun  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Should Nissan bring in a Datsun Line of cars?

• Yes
    • no
    • who cares

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. I drive a car/truck that was built by an existing company who changed the name of it's line of cars to Nissan from Datsun in '82-'83 and no longer make them by that name. It is unique and from a much different era. I don't want it cheapened by wannabees trying to buy 'cool'. Just like Buick owners, or Mustang owners, '55 Chevy, GTO, Mopar, MG owners, you name it. There are owners proud of their cars. Ask them if they want them retro made or revived and they'll likely say "what for, I have one." If you 'get' Datsun or '55 Chevs or Chevelles, Pintos, Hemi 'Cudas you want an original. Not a retro and not a replica. Geeeez look at the 'new' Thunderbird. '57 T-Bird owners must be shaking their heads. Look at the 2004-2006 GTO. It performed ok but it wasn't a GTO. The '69 GTO was probably the most beautiful Pontiac ever built. If you had one you wouldn't trade it for 2 of the 'new' ones.

I'm saying that 'You Can Never Go Back." What was then, was then. You can look back and remember, or you can own a piece of history but you can't buy a new piece of history.

I may have said this before but I'm not sure.

I think the only way they could bring Datsun back is if it were Nissan's version of Scion. It would be awesome if they did and came out with the retro cars such as the Neo 510 and Neo 240. But chances are it would just end up having cheap cars whose target market would be youths just like Scion.

Having said that, I'm not sure how I feel about the Datsun name being resurrected.

No. I drive a car/truck that was built by an existing company who changed the name of it's line of cars to Nissan from Datsun in '82-'83 and no longer make them by that name. It is unique and from a much different era. I don't want it cheapened by wannabees trying to buy 'cool'. Just like Buick owners, or Mustang owners, '55 Chevy, GTO, Mopar, MG owners, you name it. There are owners proud of their cars. Ask them if they want them retro made or revived and they'll likely say "what for, I have one." If you 'get' Datsun or '55 Chevs or Chevelles, Pintos, Hemi 'Cudas you want an original. Not a retro and not a replica. Geeeez look at the 'new' Thunderbird. '57 T-Bird owners must be shaking their heads. Look at the 2004-2006 GTO. It performed ok but it wasn't a GTO. The '69 GTO was probably the most beautiful Pontiac ever built. If you had one you wouldn't trade it for 2 of the 'new' ones.

I'm saying that 'You Can Never Go Back." What was then, was then. You can look back and remember, or you can own a piece of history but you can't buy a new piece of history.

HERE HERE!

(I saw a beautiful black Judge on the auction channel go for ohhh.... A LOT!)

Also is it just me or does that look a lot like a CRZ?

FUCK NO. I don't want the Datsun name on a new car. When i hear Datsun, I think old ratty DATSUN with Watanabes and a screaming 4 cyl. Not some new econobox or gay shit like that. Every fanboy is going to be blabbering about it and it's just going to end up as another "Hellaflush" candidate. No thanks. I'll stick to the true Datsun.

A Datsun line should not be revived. But the soul of what Datsun was needs to return. Long gone are the spirited, soulful cars we love. If Ford, Chevy, Dodge, and even Toyota thrive off of their roots-why not Nissan? Bring the Dime back. I don't think anyone here would object to a new Silvia. Not everyone has the pockets to rock a Z, let alone a GT-R. Bring some level of that sportiness down to right above the poverty line. Am I right?

A Datsun line should not be revived. But the soul of what Datsun was needs to return. Long gone are the spirited, soulful cars we love.

I agree and so dose Mr.K

Yutaka Katayama, known to American Datsun/Nissan fans simply as Mr. K, will be remembered for two very important cars: the 240Z and the 510, both of which are now considered classics. Mr. K turned one hundred years old on September 15, but age hasn't tempered his mind. In fact it seems sharper than ever. Talking about the new 370Z, Mr. K calls it, "So-so." He continues, "Very different from the 240Z. First, it's very heavy, and it's also very expensive."

And not only does Mr. K feel the car new Z is too expensive, but that it's not actually living up to the Japanese sports car legacy laid down by the 240Z, "I'd like to have a sports car like the Miata. The Miata is taking the place of the 240Z." Harsh. But check this out, "Katayama has a 350Z in his garage but prefers to drive the family's Versa compact." And there you have it.

Mr. K would like to see the Datsun nameplate come back, and with sportier cars. "The fun of driving cars is the same as riding a horse. We need a car that is like riding on horseback. We are making robots. Robots don't like human control." Even at the ripe old age of one hundred, Mr. K just might be around to see his wish come true, "I just entered the 100s. I have a long way to go."

the problem is the gov has mandated so much safety, emissions and environmental shit

that the only thing left for auto makers to put in cars to draw ppl in is all the bells and whistles of plastic garbage,

sat nav, tv's, stereos, back up cameras, and random do-dads ect.

they can no longer make a light fast cheap car like out dattos these days.

the Datsun name should stay right where it is, a part of an amazing history we all work hard to keep alive and kickin ass.

Absolutely not. Any attempt to make a modern Datsun will fail miserably unless a car company makes a vehicle similar to a Datsun 510 with lightness and economy in mind as the basic premise. However, they can't do it until the American public realizes cars are dangerous period, and all the safety bullshit must go.

OR if they make a conveniently "economy" version of something like a Ford Fiesta, but leave it for RWD and make other bigger motors fit in it, thus shooing away some safety as super econo vehicles get away with less safety crap.

That means no bluetooth sync, abs, traction control, airbags, or any other shit that sullies the basic automobile.

And actually, the closest thing to either a 240z of old and a 510 is the Miata. They still weigh 2300 pounds. Granted, no space and 2 seater, but they are basic machines as the 510 is a basic machine. This is good, and it should remain so.

I agree and so dose Mr.K

the problem is the gov has mandated so much safety, emissions and environmental shit

that the only thing left for auto makers to put in cars to draw ppl in is all the bells and whistles of plastic garbage,

sat nav, tv's, stereos, back up cameras, and random do-dads ect.

they can no longer make a light fast cheap car like out dattos these days.

the Datsun name should stay right where it is, a part of an amazing history we all work hard to keep alive and kickin ass.

Both honda and mazda have sold little sports cars.. I think its time Nissan bring back the roadster myself.

I think they should atleast make it look like a datsun

images-2.jpg

Personaly I don't care WHAT that looks like cause it's a damn sexy car but I am definatley not a fan of the price tag. There is no doubt in my mind if I could have a REAL datsun replicated it would be cool. The car wouldn't have near as Manu stories to tell though. I think the Nissan line today looks weird with the cube and the juke etc but so did these cars 30 years ago. Nothing could ever be a datsun though. Not now not never agains. And whatever may be realeased it will not satisfy the market of cars datsun owners want to see or own. Period.

I like it, but I wonder if it would be like the gtr, too damned expensive. As far as the name goes, I do agree that nissan needs a new "working mans" sports car. The Mustang, and Vette and Camaro, and Chalenger are all way outta range for what you get vs the coin you have to pay out. Honda has the S-2000, Mazda has the Miata, Nissan needs to pull their collective heads out of their exhaust pipes and bust out something that is bare bones, back to basic fast but fun and most of all, affordable. Only then will it be worthy of the Datsun badge.

That pic is ugly id rather see somthing like this

images.jpg

I don't think they will ever make the 510 again but it would be cool

images-1.jpg

if they make it exactly like that then go full force on production, but call it a nissan 510 or something. no datsun. the name died off along time ago and now it refers to a certain something. that certain something is a cool old japanese car that is cooler than anything they cood come up with now. if they brought back datsun it wood make all of our dattos just the "old piles" cause that is wat ppl wood compare our b210s,411, 5/6/7 series cars and trucks to. if u see an old camaro like 78ish and its a lil beat, run hard and put awa y wet, next to a new 2011 camaro i bet u will say look at that old pile. dont want that for my datto, my car is nostalgic and a classic. i dont want it to be some old peice of crap compared to a new 2011 model. so i say fuck that idea keep the datsun name discontinued.

if u see an old camaro like 78ish and its a lil beat, run hard and put awa y wet, next to a new 2011 camaro i bet u will say look at that old pile.

The older car will always exude charisma and awesomeness. Expecially after it has been played with. I'll take an old well loved car over almost any new car.