My old 4x4 620

kneesamo

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DPW Heavy Machinery!

The story behind the truck. Boy there is a big story on that one, lets keep it simple.

It originally was '79 620, I don't know when the conversion was done, or exactly what jeep front axle and transfer case was used, but it worked. I was told the rear axle was an LSD, what type again I don't know. I did the old test of putting one wheel in the dirt and the other on pavement, and it spun both. Switched which wheel was where and it spun both again, equally. It also had this conversion done on the front axle to use the original brakes, rotors, and (how I don't know how) six lug pattern. The axles were geared the same, but the jeep axle was skinnier, so the front wheels had a totally different offset then the rear. The truck needed a lot more fine tuning.

The first time it was chopped up was definitely my fault. Was out hot-rodding around one night and rolled it, fucked the body. I had a '74 parts truck laying around that need to go. So for two months I spent every day, after work, during the winter, for an hour or so, until it was too dark, and friggin cold to work, swapping over the cab and bed, registered it as the '74 and called it good.

The second time I chopped it up was mostly someone else's fault. Well let's just say that someone pulled out in front of me about two weeks after it was running again, and I blammo, t-bone to the face! The guy said the sun was in his eye's, "if you can see don't fuckin' turn" was my response, I was very upset. The accident tweaked the frame and in my opinion toasted the cab. At that point in my life I was with out a home, so I had nowhere to store the wrecked truck, and no other parts truck laying around to do yet another body swap. Meanwhile my other 620 was laying around (at someone's house where it could not stay any longer) without a running heart. It only seemed natural the swap the whole drivetrain, minus the transfer case, and front axle/suspension, over to butterscotch. I still have everything I need to do a future 4x4 get-up. After driving both I would not want just the 4x4. So someday another 620 4x4 might be born.

Ben