Fisch's '71 510 LZ22 - "Chapman" Fogs and Bre Spook+art

fisch

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris is still on the Bluebirds list and still pipes in with answers to 510 questions every now and again. I think he may be coming down to SPEC510 this spring if he can get the Caddy ready to go by then,

The 510 community misses him.

• Like 1

But Chris (po) gave my his z therapy vid on SU's. Need to dig out the VHS player!

Seriously!? I have it on one of those crazy little things called DVD's.  I could burn you a copy to disk and send it to you if you want. I'm sure Steve wouldn't mind. 

Glad to hear you were successful at the check and now you can DD it! You will love it. 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Too long since an update on ol Chapman! He is a healthy beast and is my warm weather daily driver. Went to get him inspected here for the first time in a year. Always nervous cause MA is TOUGH!!! They will fail me if the windshield squirter isn't working!

And the squirter wasn't working on Chapman, but I was able to bust the pump motor apart, work the propeller free and epoxy it back together and like a miracle it squirted for the inspector. IT has chopped springs up front and he almost failed me because of the up and down play in teh wheel when it was jacked up, but since it wasn't the balljoint, he let me through and I am legal for another year! Other than that I had to clean all the terminals in the starting system to get him to fire up, and the hood hinge broke! But I was able to fix it with a bolt and a nylock nut. Phew!

Pics as of today!

IMG_2120.jpg

IMG_2121.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg

Sticker I picked up at B-side label in Kyoto Japan! This thing does like to eat the premium.

IMG_2123.jpg

IMG_2124.jpg

IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2127.jpg

Love this view, datsun in the driveway and my wagon (Mr Clean) waiting in the garage. THe 1959 Datsun is back behind Mr clean somewhere.

IMG_2128.jpg

• Like 8

You know, with all your artistic tallent, it's a crime that you don't have a cool paint job on this car by now! :rofl:

Took 44 years to get it that way... why change? :rofl:

I think somethin interesting like what was done with his 521 would be kinda cool.

ANYWAY! Love the Dime man! that is one i would drive in a heartbeat!

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Funny that the more I drive my 510 the less I post about it. Been my warm weather driver for 3 years now. It got a pretty big reaction at the inspection garage. Pretty young crew who had never seen one in real life. Heck in the 20 years I've been in new england I've never seen a 510 other than the two I bought.

But there was a woman in the waiting room who knew all about them and her dad had an orange one. She said I made her day cause she hadn't seen one in decades.

• Like 5

Took 44 years to get it that way... why change? :rofl:

I think somethin interesting like what was done with his 521 would be kinda cool.

ANYWAY! Love the Dime man! that is one i would drive in a heartbeat!

Indeed! I finally picked up a welder after all these years of wanting one. Killer deal on it... but I need a gas tank, consumables, and more importantly, need to wire the garage for 220v!  I'd like to repair Chapman's QPs and fix the fender. Other than that he is really solid. I bought some panels that had been cut from a parts car for a great deal, but not the best condition. So I may go Futofab. But before that I'd like to get my wagon back together.

Hobart Handler 210 could make things interesting! (I wish it was the MPV, but hey, for $100  brand new I'll take it!)

photo.jpg

• Like 5

Sweet! That's a fantastic price! I paid $260 for 110v version of that welder. I looked into getting gas, but in Hawaii, prices are ridiculous. I just use flux core wire, which is messier and you have to clean with wire wheel if your overlapping slag/flux contamination. Supposed to be a little stronger too. I say get some flux wire and start zapping! My first project was a custom subframe, followed by c-notch and motor mounts... Crazy right?

• Like 1

Sweet! That's a fantastic price! I paid $260 for 110v version of that welder. I looked into getting gas, but in Hawaii, prices are ridiculous. I just use flux core wire, which is messier and you have to clean with wire wheel if your overlapping slag/flux contamination. Supposed to be a little stronger too. I say get some flux wire and start zapping! My first project was a custom subframe, followed by c-notch and motor mounts... Crazy right?

I've thought about just using Flux to start. Get some practice in. Use it for mocking things up, and finish welding when I have gas. BUt first to wire the garage for 220. i actually know how to do it. I already have the service and proper breaker box. Just need the wire, breakers and outlet. Should have the whole thing wired for less than $100. But just finding that time. THis is one of those things that I grabbed for a a great deal, and figured I'd get to it eventually when time presents. (Heh, just like my Datsuns!!) But I haven't had any welding emergencies to motivate me and have been crazy busy with work for the last 6-months. But I've always wanted to weld. Beyond cars- Custom bicycles. Custom Motorcycles. Robots made out of junk. Sculpture.

I actually went to the store to buy the 220MVP, which is the same as this but newer AND dual voltage so I could use my 110v till I wire for 220. But that was $900 and the store had this one as the display model BUT it was actually out of their system so the computers didn't know they still had it. The manager was suppose to throw it out if this happened, but I talked them into selling it to me for $100, and they did! Add to that it was tax free weekend in MA! I couldn't get out the front door fast enough!

• Like 7

Goofing around with some wheels on Chapman. These 15" Weld Draglites that came with my wagon are growing on me. (Probably because I already own them, LOL.)

So if I measured correctly, and checking the Summit catalog, I have 15X8 with a 5.5 backspacing. I think a +25 offset. They fit good in the rear.

IMG_2143.jpg

IMG_2139.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg

205/55ZR15 tires

IMG_2142.jpg

For giggles I threw them on the front too. I am running Maxima struts. I was actually surprised with a 5.5 backspacing, that I could get them on there and still spin the tire. And with so little poke it makes me think a 15X8 0 offset could fit ok, which seems hard to believe. But naturally there was major rub on the strut with a 5.5 backspace.

IMG_2145.jpg

IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg

Course the problem with Draglites is the wheels studs on the Datsun are way too short. So longer wheelstuds have to be put in. From what I have read, studs from a Nissan Quest, or even, if I want to spend the big bucks, Nismo 350Z studs would keep my thread pitch.

All in all just goofing around on a pretty day.

• Like 5

They look good on there. Are you running coilover springs on the Maxima struts? 

No but I want to. It is hard to find info on Maxima Strut swaps on a 510. But I have an issue because my cut springs are so loose when jacked up, the inspection guys think about failing me. (But let me pass because they like the car. LOL.) Do you know what coilovers would fit the maxima Struts? I imagine it would make for a better ride too over cut springs.

THe other question I have about maxima swaps, is if I can get a 13" wheel on the maxima brakes? I have one 13" wheel here and it looks like it will fit, but the lug spacing isn't 114.3 so I cant get it all the way on to see if it will clear.

I also haven't found info on what the Maxima struts do as far as offset. Like the 280ZX pull the wheel in an inch.

• Like 1

I have no clue about the 510 stuff :lol:

I was just thinking that the coil over springs are smaller diameter and might allow you to run these wheels. Sorry I'm not more help. :)

LOL, no problem. The tire actually clears the spring seat. But it rubs on the actual strut tube itself. So only a spacer would get it to work. However, the 15X8 are only my rears. For my fronts, I think they are 15X4 or 4.5!!! So I think those will fit just fine!! LOL!

• Like 2

LOL, no problem. The tire actually clears the spring seat. But it rubs on the actual strut tube itself. So only a spacer would get it to work. However, the 15X8 are only my rears. For my fronts, I think they are 15X4 or 4.5!!! So I think those will fit just fine!! LOL!

15X7 for the front should work fine, I have 15X7 all around on my 1200.

• Like 1

Idle question folks. So Chapman is running like a champ. (LZ22, Cam, 46mm SU carbs) When I have my foot in it. But when I am at a stop, the idle is inconsistent. Sometimes he idles fine. Other times he almost stalls out. It seems the warmer he is, the more low idling there is at stops. Where I have to take my foot off the brake and hit the throttle to keep him alive. Not ideal on a hill.

Earlier this year I lubed the throttle linkage and increased the tension on the throttle return spring, because it was sticking in a high idle. That took car of that, but now we are a bit low.

What I did today was turn up the idle screws on the SUs. This much improved the situation. Smoothed him out. Idle at about 800- MOST of the time. But it seems to me when I stop fast, he drops into a low stalling idle again. Then runs fine when I am driving him down the road. And after a slow gradual stop the idle seems to be better. Oh and this is with half a tank of gas. I am running hi-test.

Could this be as simple as a dirty fuel filter? The auto parts store is closed or I would have grabbed one. Chapman has a cam in him, so I expect a loppy idle. But I'd rather not stall out in an intersection.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Wish I could be more help here Fisch. I really didn't get into the tuning much when I had my SU's. I took the truck to Z Therapy for Steve to set and I never had to mess with them. 

Glad to see you hanging out more these days! 

• Like 3