Fisch's '71 510 LZ22 - "Chapman" Fogs and Bre Spook+art

fisch

On a big commercial sandblaster, heat is certainly an issue, but in my experience, my siphon feed and pressure pot units have never created that much heat. A $20 siphon feed unit from Home Depot(if they still have them) and a bag of abrasive(look around your area for a slag by product abrasive....way better than actual sand). But....you might want to heed the heat warning and move around a lot. HF has abrasives if you have a way to capture them. I'm pretty sure they've got the walnut shells mentioned.....but I'm not sure they're aggressive enough for rust.

The slag byproduct stuff around here is about $8-12 per 80-100lb bag.....so you can afford to just blast it and not worry about reclaiming it.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Soda will work for removing paint, but will not remove rust. I know a lot of restoration and hot rod guys use soda with no problems. On small areas I use a paint and rust stripping wheel that you can get from most hardware stores, it can be used with either a drill, or I use a die grinder, it's a black coarse fiber looking wheel about 4" in diameter. works pretty fast for small areas, but wouldn't want to strip a whole car with it.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Ive got to start a thread in the next few days....Im in Maine, and just picked up a '71 4dr. A little surface rust and 46k origional miles. I read through your entire build today, good to see you were bringing it back to life

soda blastins is a waste for most car parts...... takes for ever doesn't touch rust at all and leaves this terrible annoying film...terribly annoying film.... a soda only blaster opened up here in town so far he has doen4 cars 3 i have had to redo...customer wanted the rust out and he never told them....we use garnett sand and mixed with walnut shells works good in the speed dept but low heat for warping care.... although u can warp a panle with just about anything if u dont take your time....nice job beating panels....i never thought to clamp my slapping spoon in a vice...i got a ton of mounts for my vice for panle beating ... some nice, some are piece together crap tatsic shit that i built in a pinch

• 11 months later...

Wow, I didn't know fisch was still paying attention. Good to see you man! I was just thinking earlier about my 710 aesthetics and thought "how would fisch draw this car?"

Any update oics?

Thanks Rhap! Yeah I've been to totally slack in the Datsun dept. After I picked up this 510, work got crazy and the garage felt overwhelming. Needed to simplify.

To that end, I just sold Oil Drop, my 521. He gets picked up today actually so it is ironic this thread got bumped yesterday out of the blue. I couldn't be happier with oil drop's new home, so I am at peace with the sale.

The funds are going into this 510.

Sad, I've owned this dime of over 2.5 years. I've driven it in my back yard twice in that time.

So if my plan today works, once my 521 heads out the driveway, I pull the 510 out of the dusty corner of my garage, go through it, and head to the inspection station. Then daily this beast till the first snowflake falls!

• Like 3

Thanks Rhap! Yeah I've been to totally slack in the Datsun dept. After I picked up this 510, work got crazy and the garage felt overwhelming. Needed to simplify.

To that end, I just sold Oil Drop, my 521. He gets picked up today actually so it is ironic this thread got bumped yesterday out of the blue. I couldn't be happier with oil drop's new home, so I am at peace with the sale.

The funds are going into this 510.

Sad, I've owned this dime of over 2.5 years. I've driven it in my back yard twice in that time.

So if my plan today works, once my 521 heads out the driveway, I pull the 510 out of the dusty corner of my garage, go through it, and head to the inspection station. Then daily this beast till the first snowflake falls!

:thumbup:

Battery was so dead, I couldn't get it to charge enough yesterday, but it has been charging all night, and there is a place that inspects today. Fingers crossed!

AWWWW yeah! I am inspected and finally driving this thing! The new battery did the trick, and somehow I found a cool inspection station guy and Chapman managed to pass!

Feels swell, rumbles like a beast, though the brakes leave a little to be desired at the moment. They stop, but you plan ahead and use a heavy foot. And when I hit the brake, I hear this rattling sound in the front drivers side.

Idle seems confused. Sometimes high, sometimes low. But it has been sitting for 2 years and I imagine old gas isn't the best thing for it. Lucky the tank was practically empty all this time so there shouldn't be much of it.

But it feels swell to be behind the wheel of a Datsun again.

• Like 6

Awesome!  Congrats buddy!

I think everyone was still at Canby when you posted. lol

I figured Mike! So yesterday was my first full day of driving it. Other than the brakes, the biggest issue seems to be that it runs sort of random. Like I started it up late last night to come home. Put the choke on. It fired up. Gave it a second and released the choke. It wanted to die. Kept it alive with the pedal. Temp heated up to normal. Started driving, but it was rough and if I let off the gas for a second it seemed to want to die and did die at every stop sign. Limped it to a parkinglot. Popped the hood, gave the idle screw half a turn, got back in. It fired up but was still rough, wanting to die- then out of the blue started working fine. Idled steady. Leveled out, and rode home like a peach.

So I am confused. Old gas working its way out?

Congrats.. Nice to hear that Chapman lives again. 

Sounds like it could be old gas. Is that gas 2.5 years old?

Disconnect the outlet side of the fuel pump and pump out the old gas. Then new filter and fresh gas and give it a go.

Enjoy driving a Datsun again.

Congrats.. Nice to hear that Chapman lives again. 

Sounds like it could be old gas. Is that gas 2.5 years old?

Disconnect the outlet side of the fuel pump and pump out the old gas. Then new filter and fresh gas and give it a go.

Enjoy driving a Datsun again.

Thanks David! Excited to finally be behind the wheel! The gas is 2.5 years old, but according to the gauge, was on fumes. So I put about 4 gallons in it yesterday from a gas can (using hi octane) which I have pretty much run through already as I am on E again.

Cool so I will get the st of the old gas out and replace that filter. Now that I am behind the wheel of a Datsun again, y'all will have to deal with my moronic, knows little about how cars work, questions.Sorry in advance!

There may have been some crap in the tank that you stirred up when you filled it.  Some may be floating around and getting stuck on the intake....they don't have filters on them.  After you shut it off, there's no suction on the tube, it settles.....when you fire it back up, it runs great.  May not be the prob, but it's a possibility.

Mine did that when I first started it up. I had to clean the carburetor out twice to get the trash out. Now it's ok. I'm right there with you in the mechanical skills department, but yours sounds like it's doing what mine did, so I'd say its old gas/trash in the tank.

Thanks guys. Napa had to order my filter, and being a rainy day, I decided to drive the swift gti today to be safe. The Suzuki seems to have its own problems, but got the job done. I had this thought of selling the Swift too, so I'd just have the Datsun and my wife's miivan (and the 59) but maybe I should keep both cars on the road for a while. (Plus, though I don't want to drive ether in the winter, I really don't want to drive the Datsun.)

Also I am dealing with fat SU's on Chapman. And I barely figured out a Weber 32/36 before. It is a whole new learning curve. But Chris (po) gave my his z therapy vid on SU's. Need to dig out the VHS player!

• Like 1

Well, the new filter and fresh gas seem to be helping, but I think the real culprit is a sticky choke cable that was staying on a bit. If I pull back on the gas pedal the idle drops too, which makes me think I need a stronger pull on my return spring.

So I am thinking I need to lube the linkage and beef up that spring or bend the bracket the holds it back enough to create more pull.

The other thing it did once I got it smoothed out, was run on a bit on shut off.

On the brakes, the big cup of the dual M/C was way below the  max line, but not all the way down. Added more DOT 3. But I need to check the system out.

Too long since I posted a pic of vid so here you go!

http://s45.photobucket.com/user/Fischart/media/My%20Datsun%20510/MVI_4734-iPhone.mp4.html

Will do Goes2fast! 

A few things I am discovering. The choke linkage is sticking, causing it to run rough. I've been watching Z Therapy's Just SU video and man that is a helper. Totally demystifying SUs for me! I am going to clean out the domes, lube the linkage and the jet. There is a bracket I can bend to help sometimes too, and well as simply twisting the linkage a little according to the vid. Also there is a little filter inside the banjo bolt that I should probably clean from bad gas.

Was really worried because the AF meter installed was pegging the lean side, but I got some advise to pull the choke while warm, flooding the car, and see if that moves the reading to 'rich'. It didn't move it at all and it stalled out. In fact when dying it actually went one more notch to the lean side. So I am guessing the sensor if dead or a bad ground or even an exhaust leak prior to the sensor. (But even with a little exhaust leak I'd think it would move a little with the choke pulled enough to make the car stumble.

I have no reverse lights. I cleaned all the fused, but to no avail. Will have to climb under there and see what's going on at the trans I guess.

But I am really enjoying learning about this dime, and Chris, the PO is super helpful.

• 7 months later...

NICE car,

I'm also from gray maine and getting a 510 (datsun fan forever, have a 240 & 260z but have always LOVED 510s) do you know is chris still drives a datun? I haven't seen him around if so, but the thought of another enthusiast so close to me is exciting.

good score for you, if i knew about it back then i probably would have bid on it.