Fisch's '71 510 LZ22 - "Chapman" Fogs and Bre Spook+art

fisch

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would leave the airbox alone. Chris put many many miles on that car with that airbox and it runs well. It is fast too.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :o

I think you are probably right quik. I know Chris has been to hell and back in this thing. I didn't think it would hurt it, just wondered if I was going to take the time to custom paint it, if I should think of other options.

But again if splitting hairs it is really not worth it. I like the look and it is a big fat canvas for a paintbrush!

Thanks Bacon!

So here is a silly SU noob question. Can I pull the domes off those carbs to ease the removal of the spraypaint, and not mess anything up underneath? (I need to do some learnin on SUs!)

Thanks Bacon!

So here is a silly SU noob question. Can I pull the domes off those carbs to ease the removal of the spraypaint, and not mess anything up underneath? (I need to do some learnin on SUs!)

Not a problem. Unscrew the dash pot and set it in a glass jar to keep it clean. Remove the screws that hold the dome onto the body of the carb. Pull straight up on the dome and make sure that the piston doesn't come out with it. If it does and the needle hits the floor and bends you are screwed for the price of a new set of needles. Ask me how I know this. :angry: Under the dome is a long spring that rides over the part of the piston that the dash pot rides in. Now is a good time to clean the outside of the piston with carb cleaner and a soft rag.

I use a buffing wheel chucked up in my drill press to polish the domes. Works great with Mother's Aluminum polish. I use a Dremel with a polishing tip to get into all the tight spots.

There is oil in the piston dash pot so dump that out when you go to work on cleaning the piston. Do not bend or adjust the needle coming out of the bottom of the piston. It is made out of soft brass so be gentle with it. Clean the inside of the dome with carb cleaner and a soft rag and then reassemble. Don't forget the spring. Refill the dash pot with ATF using a straw to fill it. Press the straw into the ATF container and then cover the end with you finger to pull some ATF out. You get the idea. Fill the dash pot until you feel pressure about 1" from the top of the dome when you push down the plunger. Do one carb at a time. When it is back together lift up the piston with you finger through the front of the carb to the top of its travel and then let it drop. Should come down smoothly and make a nice "clunk" when it hits the bottom. Make sure you get the same amount of oil in each carb so that they stay synched when you get on the gas. You can also use a syringe if you want to be more precise. I am not that fussy and never have a problem. Don't use Marvels Mystery Oil in the dash pots, I find it to be too thin. If you get stuck, go over to www.311s.org and look in the techwiki for the article by Keith O. He is the man when it comes to this tuning stuff. Also get a copy of Just SU's from Ztherapy. More information than you ever wanted to know.

• Like 2

Not a problem. Unscrew the dash pot and set it in a glass jar to keep it clean. Remove the screws that hold the dome onto the body of the carb. Pull straight up on the dome and make sure that the piston doesn't come out with it. If it does and the needle hits the floor and bends you are screwed for the price of a new set of needles. Ask me how I know this. :angry: Under the dome is a long spring that rides over the part of the piston that the dash pot rides in. Now is a good time to clean the outside of the piston with carb cleaner and a soft rag.

I use a buffing wheel chucked up in my drill press to polish the domes. Works great with Mother's Aluminum polish. I use a Dremel with a polishing tip to get into all the tight spots.

There is oil in the piston dash pot so dump that out when you go to work on cleaning the piston. Do not bend or adjust the needle coming out of the bottom of the piston. It is made out of soft brass so be gentle with it. Clean the inside of the dome with carb cleaner and a soft rag and then reassemble. Don't forget the spring. Refill the dash pot with ATF using a straw to fill it. Press the straw into the ATF container and then cover the end with you finger to pull some ATF out. You get the idea. Fill the dash pot until you feel pressure about 1" from the top of the dome when you push down the plunger. Do one carb at a time. When it is back together lift up the piston with you finger through the front of the carb to the top of its travel and then let it drop. Should come down smoothly and make a nice "clunk" when it hits the bottom. Make sure you get the same amount of oil in each carb so that they stay synched when you get on the gas. You can also use a syringe if you want to be more precise. I am not that fussy and never have a problem. Don't use Marvels Mystery Oil in the dash pots, I find it to be too thin. If you get stuck, go over to www.311s.org and look in the techwiki for the article by Keith O. He is the man when it comes to this tuning stuff. Also get a copy of Just SU's from Ztherapy. More information than you ever wanted to know.

Wow, Thank you sooooooo much!!!!!!

• 6 months later...

I'm ready to see an update Scott!

Sniff.... me too! Thanks for asking EZ. This is the longest Datsun drought I have had since joining Ratsun. They just sit in the garage mocking me. Ever feel like you are so busy that you will never have a chance to work on them again? I see no light at the end of the tunnel currently.

Getting obsessed with rat rodding bicycles hasn't helped. They are so quick and easy and cheap to play with. But really I haven't even had time for them.

Most spare time that I've had has gone to trying to write a novel, we are talking a couple months of work there. All in my down time between illustrating.

But in good news, I have a new children's book coming out this week! Called Lottie Paris lives here! I am pretty darn proud of it, and it is where all my time last winter went, rather than working on the Datsuns.

Amazon Link

51r777N2D4L.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Finally made some time to keep scrubbing the camoflauge paint off of ol Chapman here! I was hoping to expose some original patina paint under there as I love that mojo. And uh, I'd say I found some!

So I have that dreaded decision to make, do I replace the quarter panels or not. These are fiberglassed and lost a lot of the bodylines. Not too pretty. But Chapman was always going to be a rat hell it is missing most of the interior anyway, I wasn't planning on restoring it. I already have a great idea for some hand painted graphics down the flank that would cover a lot of the QPs. So I will probably just rock it as is for a while and enjoy driving it! I just think if I cut those quarter off I will open a can of worms, and it will be another year before I get to having it fixed.

Still have to remove the paint below the bumpers, but I left some on the roof and also a stripe on the hood and trunk lid. They will probably eventually come off but I am in no rush on those spots.Gotta clean the wheels more too.

I even wet sanded this to 400, and I look forward to hitting it with some polish. On to the show:

Datsun_510_Chapman2.jpg

Datsun_510_Chapman3.jpg

Datsun_510_Chapman4.jpg

Another current obsession is old bicycles, which is too big of a distraction from Datsuns, but we always chase the muse. This is a 1974 Yamaha Moto-bike. Close to the era of the Datsun! Full suspension BMX that came with a banana seat. (Mine not stock :( ) It was a basket case when I got it. Totally striped of paint. Some sweet-arse Lester mags to go with it!

They look happy together. I need to get a roof rack so the 510 can sport it around town.

Datsun_510_Chapman.jpg

Datsun_510_Chapman6Yamaha.jpg

Datsun_510_Chapman5Yamaha.jpg

btw . . . I have a problem with old bikes too, I think I have around 20 rare vintage bikes!

By bikes do you mean bicycles? If so, Bob, what ever you do do not go to www.ratrodbikes.comyou will get hooked on ratting out these old sidewalk pounders. Next thing you know you will be dropping 50cc engines in bicycle frames. It is way more addicting than Datsuns, because it is so much cheaper and quicker to go through a bicycle!

This one matches my Datsun well too. All stock, 69ish Royce Union, which is a product of Japan too. As much mojo as a Ratsun I'd say!

RoyceUnion13.jpg

RoyceUnion1.jpg

Here is a custom Cafe racer concept I am building with a old Vacuum as a gastank. It is a sickness! I have two other customs going as well!

WORKSMANMOCKUP3.jpg

• Like 1

I think it's pretty safe to say that most of us just like old stuff. I just bought a early '70's Volkcycle 10 speed for $5 at a garage sale. Just needs one cable and tires/tubes :rolleyes: My wife says I have something wrong with me. I said ya think?!?!?!

Glad to see Chapman is getting some quality time as well.

Yes - bicycles.

I have a few "bmx" sized bikes but mostly rare mtn bikes.

My 1939 Hawthorn, with the original tires!

shoppics12-27-08003.jpg

A selection of frames . . .

shoppics12-27-08001.jpg

Lots more in other parts of my shop and other garage!

Fitch-When you posted the ratrod bike a while ago in another thread, i logged onto the site {ratrod bikes.com/10minutes then straight to Clist} I had to stop, i could feel myself falling into something new. I got to much going on right now, future hobby! Cool stuff for sure.

On the 510-do you Daily drive it now? Or as daily as someone who works from home drives?

!

Fitch-When you posted the ratrod bike a while ago in another thread, i logged onto the site {ratrod bikes.com/10minutes then straight to Clist} I had to stop, i could feel myself falling into something new. I got to much going on right now, future hobby! Cool stuff for sure.

On the 510-do you Daily drive it now? Or as daily as someone who works from home drives?

!

I hear you guys! There is totally a mindedness between Ratsun and rat rodding bikes. My question is whether the obsessions ever stop manifesting? Before I was into Datsun' it was old Japanese guitars.

Then just the other day, I was out in the garage and I found all my old cassettes from the 80's and early 90,s... I thought, man I need a boombox for the garage so I can rock to some ol skool metal. I start looking on CL and ebay- holy cow, some of those ghettoblasters are worth a grand! But now I want one.

I blame the internet, before it, you found what you found in the paper classifieds, or yardsaling, of fleamarkets and that was it! No one would have known people collect boomboxes, with no cd player even!

Oh, and I am not dailying it yet, I wanted to get that paint off there first! Now I need to go register that bad boy. Of course by the time I do that I will have about a week of driving before the snow falls! :angry:

gotta like the electrolux cafe racer, way cool concept. so have you done a drawing of Chapman yet?

Not yet, but one of the reasons I did this photoshoot was to start playing with some ideas!

I'd love to get to the electrolux too! The other problem with bike custom bike stuff, is that it is way easier to start a new project rather than finishing a bike you already started!

Here is another custom in progress. I call it the Svelte Spyder. It started as a Sears Spyder 5-speed 24" musclebike.

As bought for $35

MySpyderScreamer.jpg

How it sits... and sits...

IMG_6077.jpg

IMG_6079.jpg

IMG_6080.jpg

So sweet! I love how your mind works :)

pm me if you need some parts machined for those toys :)

Amazing offer Mike! If we lived in the same place, I imagine we would be collaborating a lot my friend! My daughter would be calling you Uncle Mike by now.