Contemporary 620

Jersey

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're talking about the 'retro look' fad that auto makers have been experimenting with the last few years? I've only seen two models that have pulled it off, the 'Steve McQueen Mustang' and the new Challenger. Total FAIL (from worse to bad) was the Thunderbird, Beetle, Mini, Camaro. People either 'get it' or they don't. It's a big gamble. I don't think there is any market for a 620 out there, no-one knows what a Datsun is let alone a 620. I shudder to think what they would turn out. As for reviving the Datsun name I'm against it... I like driving something that no longer exists and is a rolling piece of history. I don't want to see it watered down. Yes I'm biased because I think the 620 the most beautiful truck ever made by Nissan and I don't want it compared to a 'new' one however well intentioned.

IF, IF Nissan made a retro 620 here's a shopping list of things i would want on it, assuming that they made a passably good replica that could live up to the bullet-side.

4 wheel ABS disc brakes

4 cylinder around 2.5 liter and a V6 option

round 4 lamp HID headlights

100amp alt

LED markers or signal lights

Yes Mike thats what I was referring to the "retro look", and I couldn't agree with you more on their FAILED attempts...(e.g.the T-Bird), I too think the only two they got right were the Challenger and the Steve McQueen Mustang. It would be interesting although, to see what they would come up with on the 620, nevertheless, the original will ALWAYS be better...I do like your shopping list though!

old school should really remain old school, rehashing old stuff is always done by clowns who know nothing of what they all used to be about and tend to stuff it up nicely

and old stuff doesnt always work in todays world of frontwheel drive, economy and diesels either

that said, would be cool to see what nissan would come up with if they wanted to break into the holden/ford ute market (just a car with two seats and a tub). would be pleasing to see they dont try and pull styling cues from the old days though

The new Mahindra trucks there are trying to release in the US are pretty niffty, and that utility desinged bed with the hooks reminds me of the older Datsuns (I love them, smoothing out everything on my 620 except those).

Maybe now with all the issues they are having, and Ford dropping the Ranger, Nissan can work with them and design a retro Datsun truck with all the modern goodies.

Mahindra and Renualt/Nissan already have agreements for manufactuiring in India. The diesel motor for the truck is EPA certified.

Anyone want to write up a petition to Nissan for an Indian build diesel-powered retro-Datsun pickup with me?

I don't think there is any market for a 620 out there, no-one knows what a Datsun is let alone a 620. I shudder to think what they would turn out. As for reviving the Datsun name I'm against it... I like driving something that no longer exists and is a rolling piece of history. I don't want to see it watered down. Yes I'm biased because "I think the 620 the most beautiful truck ever made by Nissan"

Right on :thumbup: