Changed Alt, still no charging

Conan

1969 Datsun 521 J13engine

When i bought the car the IGN light was never on (except after i unplugged it) and now when i installed the new one same thing.

He had a cabel directly from the battery + to the alt is this correct or has he done this just so that it the light in the dash wouldent light up and i wouldent see it didn't charge? He had a big battery low amp battery in it, thinking this was to avoid me figuring out any fault too soon, as i had to wait for brake parts for 2 weeks before i could really test it.

There was an old Mitsubishi Alt 35amp in it so i bought a new 50amp mitsubishi which had the same type 4point plug, but on the new one it has only 2 wirer(black and green) coming out of the alt to the 4 point plug, and then it has a 2 point T-plug coming out of that again with a yellow and a white w/black wires.

Now im so unsure of how to get this running so i figured i could ask you guys, as i am affraid off doing more harm.

(My fuel gauge and temp gauge are not working) i also can't find any hazards switch.

Got a multimeter yesterday and the only charge i can find anywhere is from the battery starting at 12.6 and sinking as in drains)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well....

#1. what car is this in? 521?

#2. pics help.

#3. is this internally regulated or externally regulated?

if its stock, then its externally regulated. at least my 73 620 was. it seems from what your saying, is the regulator is bypassed and just cooked the battery. the new alt may be internally regulated but until we can see what/how the wiring was done it makes it difficult to help with diagnosis.

well....

#1. what car is this in? 521?

#2. pics help.

#3. is this internally regulated or externally regulated?

if its stock, then its externally regulated. at least my 73 620 was. it seems from what your saying, is the regulator is bypassed and just cooked the battery. the new alt may be internally regulated but until we can see what/how the wiring was done it makes it difficult to help with diagnosis.

Sorry im at work so i may have hasted a bit:

#1 Its a 1969 Datsun 521 j13engine

#2 I will see if i find my GF's camera when i get home

#3 Its externally regulated (at least thats what they said when i bought it) It looks like the old one just a bigger and only green and black go to the plug and the plugg has a yellom and a white w/black strip wire coming out of the plug with a T-plug connecting them on the other end, which i dont really know what should be connected to them.

(Yes he bypassed the reg.)

Your stock alternator is externally regulated. (there will be a small shiny box likely on the pass side fender about the size of your fist) The 50 amp one you replaced it with, shrug... who knows? Post the part number off of it. Most alts after '78 were internally regulated and will not work on a vehicle that has the external regulator without a small wiring change.

Your stock alternator is externally regulated. (there will be a small shiny box likely on the pass side fender about the size of your fist) The 50 amp one you replaced it with, shrug... who knows? Post the part number off of it. Most alts after '78 were internally regulated and will not work on a vehicle that has the external regulator without a small wiring change.

Just got to work but I will check as soon as i get home. When i bought it the guy at the store looked the alt up in a book, it was the only one he had that was externally regulated and with a 4 pin plug, but never know when someone is full of s*it. Im hoping there won`t be too much wiring, im not a big fan of the electics, always afraid that i will solve one thing, but create new problems along the way. I did bypass the volt reg. when i hooked it up, since that was how the last one was, would it still not charge if it was an internal?

This is what i have according to my recept:

bo 0986032471 (Delco 10464230) for a mazda 10

Fits:

1976 1977 Mazda 808 with 1.3L

1980 Mazda GLC with 1.4L

1981 Mazda GLC with 1.5L

1974 - 1977 Mazda Pickup with 1.3L

1971 - 1973 RX1 with 1.1

1971 - 1973 RX2 with 1.1

1971 - 1973 RX3 with 1.1

12 Volt 50 Amp

Stupid me had just not connected the T-plug xD but now i did, but didn´t really make any diffrence at all when i checked with the multimeter. The IGN light does not light up when i twist the key to on, or when the engine is running.

Edit:

Im thinking either the Alt is internally regulated and i need to re-wire, or my volt regulator is cooked. Since it takes a week for me to get part i ordered a regulator yesterday (52$ god i hate shipping costs)

I put an internally regulated alt on my 69 J13 and I only had to hook up a couple wires. I think the new alt just had a black and a green wire off the back, as well as a post to attach a larger sized wire to the battery. The green and the black wires on mine just turn on the light on the dash, but if they were not hooked up the bat would still charge, i think. I hooked them up to the plug that used to plug into the voltage regulator, can't remember which wires though, have to check tomorrow in the daylight. Works fine.

The gas and temp didn't work on my truck either, it was a small regulator on the back of the instrument cluster, up kind of high behind the cluster. Nissan still had the part available a couple years ago. Can probably post a pic and maybe a part number tomorrow if you want.

Alan

I put a wire from the positive B terminal on the alt to the fusible link:

Volt readings:

Batteri before starting: 12.55v

Batteri when started with nothing on: 13.50v

Batteri when started and engine is reved: 14.72

Batteri started with everything on (at idle): 12.90v

Batteri after i turned off battery and everything 12.98v

My battery charger is apparently bad, cause my 521 charged it up in no time now xD

The IGN light does not light at all when turning the key

(took it for a drive, and now i need to get new bulbs for my headlights :P)

Temp gauge now works, still no fuel gauge

I will be changing the volt reg. as soon as it arrives from the states.

Installed new volt reg and removed the wire that i put from the alt to the fusible link. Now its connected just the way it should be. When i turned the key the IGN light went on like it should !! :) but... when the engine started the light flickered, and the new volt reg smoked slightly so i shut the engine off in fear of f@@@ing up the new volt reg that i have waited for for a week and i cant afford another (kinda broke after buying the 521 and all the other parts)

So i guess what im wondering is what have i done wrong? is it not grounded enough? or is it normal at first time use?

Engine off: 12.54v

Engine on: 11.92v

Edit:

Posted this in my build thread yesterday; putting it here as well for those that may come across this thread as i am in dire need of a working car:

I gave the old volt reg a shot, thinking that older is always better, they don´t make new things like they did in the old days ;) so i soldered some new wires to it and now both the IGN light and the oil light now work as they should, judging by the flickering of the IGN light when it cranks i know the alt is supplying power to the reg, but it seems to stop there, i got a 13v reading from the white middle wire at the volt reg (battery is only 11.89v in this cold) so i now also know the voltreg is giving an output, now i just need to figure out where that wire goes and where my bad connection/short is and i should be good to go!

If someone happens to know where in the enginebay i need to look please shot it out so that even i can hear ;)

Im guessing fussible link are, but knowing is better than guessing especially when its really cold outside xD

Or am i barking up the wrong tree again?

(Im getting a warm datsun feeling i might actually be onto something for once, and will award myself with a ratsun T-shirt WHEN i find that bad connector)

Junkyards here are shit, new my alt cost $115, used it would have cost $93 and thats not knowing how good it is. Also when i spook to them i just told them what car i had and he couldn´t have ended the conversation any faster than he did.. "can´t help you bye"....

Edited by Conan