Exhaust Thread

Braden

hey guys, im not sure if this is the right place for this or not,

but i do have an exhaust related question.

i just ka swapped my 72 510, and the exhaust flange on the stock manifold contacts the steering gears rear bolt, and the o2 sensor cant be installed since its in the way. i read a thread about relocating the o2 sensor bung, but have anyone seen this problem before and how have you overcame it without spending a ton of money?

im running stock mounts on a reversed crossmember. is there different mounts i should be running? they're definitely a little tweaked and i'm just not sure what the solution might be.

thanks in advance

i have a 73 510 with the same setup but with a non turbo sr20. i had the same problem i relocated the o2 bung and had to cut the down pipe and angle it in towards the engine to clear the steering gear box. it worked out good. you also have to lean the engine down on the driver side. thats the way it suppose to sit. if you look under the vehicle, the oil pan will be level.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

this is what i went with for my L20b, 2" to a cherry bomb.  the muffler sits around the rear door somewhere.  it's nice and mellow cruising around town and loud when i get on it.  i'm still trying to decide weather or not i like it.

14525424551_60073d1cba_z.jpg20140628_130835 by russaroll88, on Flickr

14527357044_703131a18f_z.jpg20140628_130926 by russaroll88, on Flickr

14342200009_55cbda18f4_z.jpg20140628_131033 by russaroll88, on Flickr

14548929563_7ccfd326c2_z.jpg20140628_131229 by russaroll88, on Flickr

• Like 3

If you're still 'deciding' if you like it then it's really... 'still rationalizing '.

Bet this thing lets out an irritating blat sound just when you really start enjoying the gear you're in and have to let off or shift. Keep it and add a cheap 'turbo' muffler or anything that isn't straight through.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

I want to paint the factory exhaust manifold using POR 15.

Anybody have experience on these?

And which one will be preferred.

Or avoid it all together.

315%2BR7soXuL._SL500_SL135_.jpg transparent-pixel._V192234675_.gif POR-15 Black Velvet Heat Resistant

314jYA8o9XL._SL500_SL135_.jpg transparent-pixel._V192234675_.gif POR 15 FACTORY MANIFOLD GRAY

The Factory Manifold Gray is a darker gray and holds up well.  You will have plenty left over that can be used to paint your exhaust pipe also.

• 4 months later...

wanting to replace all the piping from the connection of the exhaust manifold with 2" and install a new muffler. I have a stock l20b with only a weber 32/36. Don' want nothing fancy so should I just put something simple in? Any suggestions as I am takingi t to shop earlier this morning.

Stock Exhaust Manifold -> 2" Pipe -> Resonator -> Stock Turbo Muffler (thrush I think).  Pretty quiet no way to share video/sound clips of it.             

JUST  WHAT i DID. THANKS FOR THAT INFO. JUST WANTED IT SIMPLE WITHOUT GETTING ALL CRAZY. MONEY DOES NOT GROW ON TREES.

I have 2.25 inch all the way back from the header to a dynomax ultra flo muffler, and about 6 inches of pipe after that to clear the rear.

Its on my 200sx, with the "nasty ass lz23".

It has a good rumble when your crusin, but its pretty loud when your in full brap mode, and is a bit crackley when you let off at high rpm.

It occasionally throws the odd fireball.. Heee hee.

Tried it with a super 44 and a regular 40 series flowmaster and they were way more tinny, not soo much rumble.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

My A15 goes into a 2" pipe back to a turbo muffler with a resonance chamber before the muffler.  Nice low base w/o being obnoxiously loud like fart cans.  Seems to flow fine, definitely better than the stock exhaust did.  I still have good velocity at the tail pipe.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you're referring to aftermarket tubular headers, yes. The guy who makes the headers for Nissan Motorsports makes a tall header specifically for fitting a tall deck block in a 510.

If you're talking about stock, cast iron manifolds, then yes again, but that's a whole different story.

• Like 1

Do the L18 and L20B have different exhaust headers? Wondering since the L20B is slightly taller ...

Do the L18 and L20B have different exhaust headers? Wondering since the L20B is slightly taller ...

Manifolds are car specific.  You can use a plain Jane manifold on an L20B in a 510, you have yo modify (with a hammer) the down pipe a bit,

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of good responses on this sticky.

Thought I'd ask a few questions. I am putting together a VG30 transplant. Engine and trans are already in and I am working on the plumbing and wiring. Exhaust work will follow shortly. I have a few options and need some educated, experienced opinions as I only want to do this once. I have stock 200sx manifolds with 1 7/8" ID, EE headers with 1 3/8" primary and 2 1/4" collector. I also have a Thrush 24"glasspack with 2" ID in and out, and a Borla muffler with 2" in and out, as well as a selection of 1 7/8" ID 2" OD tubing and mandrel bends to use. The later 2" stuff was destined for a L20b motor which is on the back burner.

Looking for (2) responses....(1) ignoring the 2" stuff that I already have what would be a proper setup for the VG car...keeping in mind that it is a daily driver and want my wife and kids to still enjoy riding with me, but still have a nice note. (2) would it be possible to use the 2" parts and still get good performance and sound.

Thanks

Thanks Mike,

I guess let me ask this question another way.

1) what is the optimal size for a VG30 exhaust? header tube size, collector size, y-pipe size, and single pipe after the y?

2) how loud wil the EE headers be vs the 200sx cast manifolds....regardless of the rest of the system?

3) if I build the system using the 1 7/8" tubing and 2" glasspack, Borla will it be restrictive to the VG output?

Thanks for the input

Chip