IT's TIME....

novita1021

motor swap....what motor would be a good but so so expensive upgrade for my 71 dime....my pops want me to get a L20 but im thinkin new nissan motors too kill these hondas around here...something that i wont spend days serching for parts though....any idea's???

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but ive been lookin for a KA24DE in the junk on on craigslist and no luck...a friend of mine had an S13 sr20DET on his 240...sadly he crashed it so ima try and get that motor off his hands...:D:Dif not im goin to just try and mod my L16...but i realy dont know what can be done to the little motor??:confused:

The front wheel drive ones won't mate to the rear wheel trans. The block is way different. You could pick up SR20de pretty cheap and turbo it. SR is the way to go in the 510, most will click off low 13s high 12s in a 510. (If you can get them hooked up) They are very worth the money. When I first biught my 510 it had a Z series engine that I was going to try to work with and as I weighed the money to rebuild, do carbs, exhaust and all I just figured I might as well just get the newer engine with injection, turbo, 5 speed... You know the story. I was hooked after the first drive.

i prefer the KA motors (out of the 240sx and frontier pickups) just because parts are cheaper for them. the SR's are good motors too, but they are expensive to find and expensive to buy parts for (and usually you can't just run down to the parts store and get stuff for them, at least not around here) that is why i am building a KA over an SR

where might i find one then...cuz i hear very good things about those motors...plus i seen what my buddys 240 can do...know if it would be in a smaller car like the dime...WOW...and ive seen some sr powered dime vids on youtube...:D:D

i prefer the KA motors (out of the 240sx and frontier pickups) just because parts are cheaper for them. the SR's are good motors too, but they are expensive to find and expensive to buy parts for (and usually you can't just run down to the parts store and get stuff for them, at least not around here) that is why i am building a KA over an SR

thats very true...so im realy not sure which one would be best for me...i have a budget and i dont have all day to look for parts...you know...so yeah..

DQ (Dime Quarterly) did a great two-issue Engine Swap Guide last year (Vol 7 Issues 2 & 3):

Dime Quarterly

I'd review that. It also depends on what you want to do. SR20's are more spendy and rev like a sumbitch. If you want torque, go KA24 or VG30. Dare to be Different? Go CA w/ turbo...or Mazda rotary...or Chevy/Ford V8...

Regardless, you're talking rewiring, cross-member mods, suspension mods, etc, etc.

If you want simple, economical, and the blessing of the L Motor God, go L20b.

That said, I'm getting a wild hair to throw a VG30 into my 411 wagon. If I do, there will be a L20b on the market. :cool: