ka tranny to ae86 speedo

I searched a bit and couldn't find any absolute answers to my question...

im putting a ka24de into a kouki ae86 and my cluster has a speedo cable that connects to the transmission but the KA uses an electrical signal....

i know about the x-gear thing and that costs a bit too much just for a speedo so i wanted to see if i can replace the sensor on the tranny with a mechanical one so i can use my ae86 cluster....if i cant find a way i'll use the ae86 cluster minus the speedo and buy an apexi revspeed to mount in front of the 86 speedo....

is there any other cars with a gear/sensor that i can use to replace the KA tranny electrical sensor that can possibly mate to my ae86 speedo cable?

ae86 gts gear ratio is 4.3

any info is appreciated, hate is hate so bring it on and props to those who actually help.....

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, we just did this in my buddy's ae86 with a ka24de swap in it.

Like 78kingcab said, early 720 2wd's (we used one from an '81)

thanks....

sorry guys i didnt see that thread in the drivetrain area...

SO:

early 80's 720's

will 240/60/80z's work?

80's 300z's?

any recommendations on which gear to pull if im running a 4.3?

while skimming trough sites i remember bumping into a color code chart for each speedo drive pinions ratio.... hope i worded that right...

just trying to figure out what car/truck to pull from in order to have correct speed reading from my ka86.. ka24de engine and tranny with ae86 4.3 rear end...

on the other thread they guy had trouble with his gear not fitting the ka tranny, thats just some weird setback thats not common, right?

thanks for the help guys!

91 hardbodies use a mechanical speedo sensor as well. There are quite a few that have them. You just have to find a gear that is closest to your setup. I am personally switching over to the sensor style for use with my aem ems.

SO:

early 80's 720's

will 240/60/80z's work?

80's 300z's?

any recommendations on which gear to pull if im running a 4.3?

while skimming trough sites i remember bumping into a color code chart for each speedo drive pinions ratio.... hope i worded that right...

just trying to figure out what car/truck to pull from in order to have correct speed reading from my ka86.. ka24de engine and tranny with ae86 4.3 rear end...

on the other thread they guy had trouble with his gear not fitting the ka tranny, thats just some weird setback thats not common, right?

thanks for the help guys!

Early Z cars won't work, in fact pinions before '80 won't unless you cut a slot for the retainer 180 degrees around on the opposite side. Like this one from a F4W71B 4 speed... yes the pinions are the same as the FS5W71B 5 speeds.

pre80pinionint0post80ransmods001.jpg

Actually the pinion from a 720 4X4 will also work, but it's located in the transfer case. I've swapped them into 5 speeds before to get the correct speedometer reading. The '80-'83 4X4 had a 4.375 diff in it so the pinion gear is set for that rear end. Either a 19 or 20 tooth cog on it. The thing is that this includes the tire size as well. If you are running larger or smaller diameter tires than the 720 4X4 then this won't be exact. The '83 and on 4X4 used a 4.11 diff and used a 17 or 18 tooth cog. Maybe try one and see idf the speedo is out and then select one up or down to fine tune it.

The number of teeth are color coded (but count them anyway)

Yellow 16 Tooth

Black, 17 Tooth

Blue 18 Tooth

White 19 Tooth

Red 20 Tooth

Purple 21 Tooth

Generally one tooth change is about 5-6% change in speedo reading. Lets sayyou have a BLUE 18 tooth pinion and that at 50mph (or KPH doesn't mater to %) the speedo reads 55. You need to slow the speedo down 5 MPH/KPH. The more teeth on the pinion the slower it will turn so to get a 10% drop in speed you need to jump up two teeth to a RED 20 tooth pinion. I think that's about 11% and 11% of 50 MPH/KPH is about 5.5 MPH/KPH so, close enough.

• Like 2

I have the hardbody trans in my 73 620. It has a red cog. The electric sensor outta a s13 also has a red cog. It any case at 60 my speedo says about 90. Its hard to get an exact reading because my speedo jumps up and down alot, anyone else have that issue?

there is alot of discussion on different forums regarding speedo cogs, here is one. There are also many discussions on here about it.

http://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27108

Datzenmike is the man!!!

Right now I have a blue in mine, and @ 60mph, my speedo reads 80mph, lol.

what size tires , and rear diff ?

I have the hardbody trans in my 73 620. It has a red cog. The electric sensor outta a s13 also has a red cog. It any case at 60 my speedo says about 90. Its hard to get an exact reading because my speedo jumps up and down alot, anyone else have that issue?

there is alot of discussion on different forums regarding speedo cogs, here is one. There are also many discussions on here about it.

http://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27108

dude thats a cool lead on this stuff, theres a link to a tire calculator......way cool

http://www.zdriver.c...ead.php?t=27108

The cable is likely damaged, dry or kinked. The inner cable jams briefly while the tranny end keeps turning. The cable is like a coiled spring and stores energy. Very quickly it jumps loose and the stored energy gives the speedometer needle a strong 'kick' and it jumps to 90. Make sure there are no sharp bends in the outer sheath and no damage where dirt and water can enter. Remove the tranny end and slip the inner cable out. Watch out it is very slippery so have a towel or something to catch it on. Lubricate with a graphite based dry lubricant or one with molybdenum disulphide. Do not use ordinary grease.

Datzenmike is the man!!!

Right now I have a blue in mine, and @ 60mph, my speedo reads 80mph, lol.

20mph out is 25% error. I don't think that can be adjusted out. The speedo in the dash may be at fault. Each gear change only adds or subtracts about 5-6% You would need about 5 tooth sizes different.

I'm still running 185/60/13s and I can't remember 3.70 or 3.90.

I'm not too worried about it right now though, because I'll be installing my LSD soon and see where I'm at then. Once I decide on wheel/tire size and such, I'll play with it then.

I just use my GPS for a speedo, lol.

well im running 195/45/15 with a subie 3.70 lsd....on a kade 5 spd.....i have the clear,blue,and red cog...what one do you think i should try....im getting ready this weekend to do this...dont remember but is oil gonna drain out.....ya i think so.....this is a great thread tho lot of info