My 521 Thread of what not to do to one.....

bilzbobaggins

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i3bEXEP.jpg

2x7NLZT.jpg

R148GNy.jpg

First of all, the hugest shout out to Greaser2!!!!  He offered me these mirrors for the cost of shipping due to the fact they had been sprayed with silver paint at some point.  This was back in September and my sorry ass never opened the box.  Thanks again dude.  Owe you and the community one.  He even sent the fucking screws that were holding them on his door.  

Disclaimer.  I will be mentioning things I need to do to get these mirrors on the way I want them.  This in no way is me bitching about the awesome deal I got.  

I have always wanted a set of these as it had a set before I got it judging from the holes in the top of the door frame.  Somewhere in my shit I have a set that I bought roughly 10 years ago  for a 620 but they mount differently than these so I never ran them.  These aligned up with the holes very closely up top on the bracket, but mine were drilled a bit larger.  I flipped that bracket upside down as the other way put the bolt heads on the mirror arms into my drip rails.  Bottom holes come up fine but have been wallowed out by years of fuckery with different mirrors.  I will need to brave a hardware store to find what I need for final mounting.   Also want to hit the upper bracket with a grinder so it will follow the inner contour of the frame and not set out from it.

I also plan to run mine at a 90 degree angle to the doors with them fully extended so they dont interfere with my wing windows.  I havent even rolled down the road and already love all the extra vision.  All I had before was a b210 mirror in the drivers door using the existing holes that adjusted in the best position sucked.

They do have that silver paint on them.  I might scrape it off and see what is left of the stainless under it.  I can always spray them again.  Or better yet, we have been having our detail guy at the lot rhinoline a few cars and trucks.  It seems to be rather popular with the Appalachian Americans that go to the lot.  

And one question to anyone who reads this, was there any rubber gasket that went under the bottom mounts against the door?  These do not have any, just curious.

Edit:  Also found the 620 mudflaps I have been wanting to slap on.  Need to get a white paint marker to freshen up the logo.

Edited by bilzbobaggins
^
  • Like 2

uIrjMjM.jpg

front drivers side brakes.  I have not been on here in a while.  

Here is the issue.  You hit the brakes, you get braking action, then a popping noise( or what I think to be just this side brake happens) and you get all kinds of stopping in the left side.  It jerks/throws the truck left.  They are plenty bleed.  They are both adjusted correctly front and rear. 

Do I have the shoes in right?   Did I flip the adjuster around the wrong way? 

The fsm only has one diagram and they appear to be in correct.

Any help is appreciated 

• Like 1

Well, that was it.  I guess my dumbass wasnt paying attention.  Been living with that for a lot longer than I would like to admit.  Flipped the shoes the correct way, greased the contact points, the adjuster and adjusted it.  Also checked the passenger side in case I did something else dumb.  It was correct.  Adjusted it as well.  Took it for a test drive and its fucking great.  The whole way home I kept braking and getting prepared for the death jerk in the steering wheel.  LOL

Also, before I did that, I went thru the battery cables and cleaned all my connections at the battery, starter and alt.  Tightened up my alt belt as well.  Was a bit loose for my taste.   I have had a few days of her not wanting to start.  I do not think its a drain, but just the system not being messed with for 4 or 5 years.  

Did not work on my mud flaps last night.  My son wanted to play sorry.  I am hoping to get on them tonight, but also have to clean my fish tank.  75 gallon tank takes a while.

And I will try to take more pics.  Its hard for me to remember to take pics of my work.

edit: seem to have lost both of the rubber boots on the backing plate as well.  Something else to order.

Edited by bilzbobaggins
^
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Not much to report.  I have been driving a Odyssey van I bought doing a couple hundred mile shakedown.  Got lucky on this one.  I got angry and bought it at the auction without looking at it.  Condition report stated transmission issues.  I got lucky.  It wasnt trans issues, it was a bad misfire across all 6 cylinders.

Been driving the 521 for errands.  I do need a battery.  This one is toast.  Did get nervous the other night when my headlights went out on the way to the bank.  But it was just a wire that jumped off the relay.  Odd but easy.

Did get boned on another one of my cars yesterday.  We were taking a few to the lot.  I was in a Yukon I got for my cuz pulling a tacoma.  I ran over a gator back and kicked it into a nice 07 corolla with a manual trans that my buddy was driving.  Destroyed the front bumper, got all the fender well and underskirt plastic.  And of course, knocked the ac condenser out.  Damn shame.  At least it did not get the radiator though.  And then the gator back went under the last truck and only ripped/destroyed all the lights down the side of the trailer.

Hoping I get time this weekend at the shop to mess with my sealing my 521 gas tank, but its looking less likely with more jobs jumping on my plate.  I bought a 07 323i wagon that needs some love.  Like figuring out the windows so I can park it outside without getting bums and birds in it.  

• Like 1
On 4/20/2020 at 12:04 PM, bilzbobaggins said:

uIrjMjM.jpg

front drivers side brakes.  I have not been on here in a while.  

This appears to be correct with the front shoe lining more to the bottom, trailing shoe lining more to the top. The right side should be the same with the front shoe lining more to the bottom, trailing shoe to the top. This takes advantage of the servo action provided by the forward turning of the drums. The linings are pulled into the drums adding to the braking with less foot effort. If the left and right side of truck are mismatched it will pull to the side that has the lining orientation in the picture. If both side are wrong the braking will be even, but it will stop better if both side are like above. 

If both sides linings are in reversed position, the truck will stop better backing up.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, thisismatt said:

Umm, what's a gator back?

semi trailer blown tire....in my case, the entire outter casing. 

8 hours ago, datzenmike said:

This appears to be correct with the front shoe lining more to the bottom, trailing shoe lining more to the top. The right side should be the same with the front shoe lining more to the bottom, trailing shoe to the top. This takes advantage of the servo action provided by the forward turning of the drums. The linings are pulled into the drums adding to the braking with less foot effort. If the left and right side of truck are mismatched it will pull to the side that has the lining orientation in the picture. If both side are wrong the braking will be even, but it will stop better if both side are like above. 

If both sides linings are in reversed position, the truck will stop better backing up.

They are upside down in the picture, I rotated them 180 degrees.  I now have no popping and stop very well now.

• Like 1

Rotated 180 would put them in the same orientation. I'm saying that in my opinion the ones in the picture (left front) are correct. The other side (right) need to be the same with the front shoe lining away from the wheel cylinder and closer to the adjuster at the bottom.

Of course if both side match but are wrong the brakes will work but they will work even better this way.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, bilzbobaggins said:

semi trailer blown tire....in my case, the entire outter casing. 

They are upside down in the picture, I rotated them 180 degrees.  I now have no popping and stop very well now.

Ah. Always called them retreads

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Been working on a 95 hardbody we got at the auction.  Was showing 317k on the odometer, but was also TMU on the report so who knows.  Anyways, damn thing was idling around 2k no matter what I dicked with.  Did notice that someone was kind to the old girl and had replaced the idle air control valve with a very nice oem one.  Finally took it off to find out they were special to the max.

Bought a 175 dollar?? oem part and skimped on the gasket.  Thats bad but this is what they "made" for one.

3rxWZuY.jpg

What it needed to look like 

DwzmlMe.png

What it looks like with no gasket.

UFRFKcG.jpg

Seems the gasket only come with a icv or from the dealer.  So I made one with a dull razor and the side of a box that had my sway bar bushings in it.  Not the best by any stretch but eons better that what some fuckwit tried to make before me.

Z7Ti491.jpg

The result after reassembly.  Much better.  Idles around 800 fairly steady.  Shes not a beauty queen but shes a truck, so almost time to go to the lot.  

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Well, me truck laid down on me for the first time and I didnt have enough stuff with me to get her going.  Was coming up a hill around 65 and she just cut out on me.  Avoided getting ran over and got to the side of the road.  Quickly figured I had fuel but spark was bye bye.  I messed around with all the connections and tried another ground and a wire right to the positive on the coil.  Nothing.  

Called and got a ride the last 3 miles in and grabbed a spare distributor that had worked in the past.  The vacuum advance is busted on it.  But its a spare.  Also grabbed a coil in the pile.  Drove back and started messing with it.  The used coil from home made no change, so I put the coil that was on it back in. Then I installed the other distributor.  I got a baby baby weak spark.  Then, nothing.  Pulled the cap back off and realized I had the wrong rotor on the spare.  Put the rotor that was on it back in the "new" distributor.  Fired right up.  Ran off on the way home though.  Started missing around 60 mph but ran fine under that except for when I turned and tried to use third gear.  Stumbled and I did not punch it.  

So, guessing the module is bad.   If its bad and not repairable I will get a remote module for it.  I will mess with it later.  I was already covered in power steering fluid from a Astro van.  And sweat.  Long day.  

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Nope.  Been having issues with loss of spark still.  Found it.  It was my two wires from coil to distributor.  I pulled them from the car originally when I got the parts.   The little L shaped plug was randomly losing connection.  Will depin it later on and rewire.  

As annoying as all this was, it still means I have two good distributors.  Well, one with a bad vacuum advance.  I can clean up the good one that’s going on the motor I am building in the garage and install.  

off to fishing I go.   It’s 74 degrees here.  Fuck work. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, was digging through all my crap looking for parts.  I know I have a giant bag of brake adjuster clips somewhere, I bought them years ago from ebay.  Still cant find them bastards, but I did find a ei distributor in all my stuff.  It looks really clean and the vac advance works.  I looked through all my mail on the site and cant find a thread where I bought it.  And there has only been two L20b cars at the local pull a part with them in all the years.  No clue where I got it from.

Truck is still running fine.  Its a blast ripping around making lots of noise and equally proportional  slow speed.  I am looking forward to the L20b swap this winter.  Hell, even the longtail 4 speed will be nice.  The og trans was tired ten years ago when I got her.

• Like 2

Yesterday was up and down.  Sold some parts.  Was on the way to the post office and one street over in my neighborhood I found this put out on the side of the road.

wzUIxcX.jpg

I am hoping it will work.  I do have a decent set of gauges and a nice vacuum pump, but no recovery equipment.  Its a heavy fucker, I had to push it around the block back to my house.  I am hoping someone ditched it because it was so heavy.  I live near the base so folks toss shit out left and right as they get moved to other bases.

Did miss out on getting this by about 10 minutes.  I am hoping it pops up around here.

aI4zmqe.jpg

Thing looked fairly nice.  Had what looked to be like a mint jockey box between the seats.  I personally find the looks of the 521 to be far superior, but this would of been nice to drive with the kid in the truck.  

Never have enough anyways.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Have not been driving the truck much even though "winter" time here is a fine time to drive her.  I have been test driving vehicles that needed work before we send them to the lot to sell them.  I personally try to put at least 500 miles on anything we buy.  I dont want to rip anyone off.  I know it could lay down at any moment like any car but a 500 mile shakedown seems to weed out the utter losers or gives me the opportunity to find issues and resolve them.

Did start dicking around with the 81 supra yesterday.  It runs on ether.  Got the fuel pump to pump with some love taps but would not run.  Going to drain the tank and change the filter.  The thing is a mess.

Anyone have a fsm for a 81 supra laying around or a turd load of parts?

• Like 1

Took the truck to get fill up the gas cans.  Glad I have new wipers, was raining.  Need to rivet the defrost tubes up but otherwise a good ride.

My injectors are not firing on the supra.  Not supposed to rain tomorrow, so I can diagnose, only supposed to be me cold and damp. 

Edited by bilzbobaggins
  • Like 1