gear ratio for 720

nissan720

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You find them in classifieds like Ratsun parts for sale, craigslist, guys parting out -- or at wrecking yards. They are common, not hard to find. Only $75 at pick-n-pull. New gears alone cost hundreds + $150 to install.

For the front, you can change gears or swap in entire R180 unit (less work). Either way you gotta remove axles and driveshaft.

Dunno if you can get 5.1 for the 4x4 front.

• Like 1

okay I have a few questions. whats an R180 unit(something to do with the front end Im guessing)? how do you find out whats the stock axle for front and back? I think my rear is the h190? and so go with 4.11 gears and how would I find the proper gears in the pumkins? the same way I found mine out on my truck to begin with?

• Like 1

Have a look on the plate, because each year 720 had a variety of gears.

I'd go with the 4.375 -- give the truck more grunt, but can still do 80+ mph. This is a STOCK ratio for 720 4x4s with smaller tires than yours. Some 720 4x4 had 4.625.

4.11 H190 came in cars and trucks from 1960s to 1990s.

4.375 came in trucks from 1960s to 1980s

If I was doing it, I'd look only at 4x4s for the gear I wanted and get a matched front & rear set.

• Like 1

Alright I posted it in my emissions post and Ill post it here too. I just calculated my gears spun the tires 10 times and the driveshaft spun 20 and almost made it 21 full rotations but it was like1/4 off from making it. calculated it as 20.75 and got 4.15 for my gearing

• Like 1

Okay well atleast I know now I dont have to go through and find new gears. Im considering maybe swaping my back axle and the front axle with jeep axles. my buddy has a 89 cherokee and his rear axle is 4ft 5in give or take a couple inches and thatd fit perfect under the back. the front axle is a little narrower. Im still deciding on it though.

• Like 1

Early (up to mid '82) 720 4x4s were 4.374 but so was the '80 2wd 720 standard and automatic.

Later (mid '82 and on) Z24 4x4s were 4.11 but the rear diff was a C200. '81-'82 2wd automatics were 4.11

Hey, it's easier to just look on the engine tag located under the pass side hood hinge on the inner fender.

720Large2.jpg

Bottom row far right. HF43. 43 is for 4.375. 41 would be 4.11, 38 would be 3.889 and so on.

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have 4.11s in all my trucks.......in 4L/bull low.... pretty much climb any hill.......good torque

Can crawl slower than Grandma with a cane, if need be..... ;)

With 30 inch tires...it's 2500 RPM in 5th at 60MPH

This is what I was looking for- affirmation!  My 85 KC 4x4 is a CA 41. So it has the 4:11 ratios in the dif. Middle of the road, but still able to do all the 4x4 stuff I am ever going to need (up and down slimy boat launch ramps, huckleberry picking on Stampede Pass).

So far, I only drove this truck up to 3rd gear before I heard nasty noises and snuck back home to check the trans out. But in that short time, it became apparent to me that the giant dumb tires slapped on it make it drive like a tank. Having the torsion bars cranked up is also no help to the overall roadability. I know, I know, I sound like a cranky old man, but the first thing I am going to do when the transmission is okay is to get stock spec 4x4 all terrain tires- safety siped- and crank it back down to factory specs. I bet I like it a lot better that way. Just sayin’...

• 7 years later...
On 11/4/2012 at 3:22 PM, ggzilla said:

HE38 = 3.889

CA - CA200

HD - H190

HE - H190

HF - H190A

HG - H233

http://datsun1200.co...itle=Diff_Codes

To get off the line better, the steepest ratio possible is recommended. 320 pickups had the H190 gear ratio of 5.125 and you can swap the center pumpkin into a 720 H190 housing

Where do you find the 4.375 and the 5.125 in what year and model? 

Have never heard of a 5.125. He said it was in the 320 which is a mid '60s truck.I don't know.

On the inner fender on the right side under the hood hinge is the engine tag. The axle ratio is far bottom right and may say HF 35 for a 3.545 or HF 38 for a 3.889 ratio

I wouldn't go above 4.375 unless running 31s or 33s.