Truck powers out

ZackTheImpaler

So my truck started running pretty badly recently. It's always had a problem idling, and backfires from time to time.

But it started running pretty rough getting on the highway, and then even after I got up to to speed. It's backfiring a little bit, then it seems to power down for a second, then catch right back. But the power down went for like 6 seconds last night in traffic so now I'm really trying to get this taken care of. Seemed like when I hit the clutch and put it in neutral it caught right back up.

I don't know enough to be able to check this on my own, but if someone wants to help me out a little bit I'm a smart kid and can figure things out.

My first instinct is the carb, I know that it's the original and they don't age very well. There is alot of black soot on one side of my air filter, even though I just changed it a couple weeks ago. I've been meaning to get a new one anyway, but have been debating between the 32/36 and the 34. So maybe it's time to make a decision?

Any insight is really appreciated.

-Zack

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would replace the fuel filters first. als check the grounds from the battery and clean the terminals on it too., I dropped a webber 32/36 on mine about 2 months ago, loving it! Also watch out for the ignition module in the distributor! If you have starting issues, take a test light to the coils and make sure the negitive side flashes while you turn it over. Feel free to PM me with any other issues, I prob already dealt with them! Welcome to ratsun and I would warn you to post pics, it is a bit of a requirement here. :D

Sounds like an interruption of ignition. Like turning the key off and on. When off the unburned gas goes down the pipe and when it comes back on it lights it off with a bang.

Check all ignition connections like at the coil and igniter (black box on dizzy) Be sure the dizzy is well grounded.

How are the ignition wires, cap and rotor??? It's getting cold and damp so new ones will be a lot cheaper than problems later. Are they clean of dirt and oil? Is the under side of the cap dry?

Yes it does sound sort of like a plugged fuel filter but this usually doesn't involve backfires. Filters are cheap and easy to replace so just change it anyway because winter is coming.

Yeah I'm assuming it was a clog somewhere. After I did a pretty basic tuneup and changed the oil the problem disappeared.

It was getting pretty scary though for awhile. I'm sure it was alot of problems together. I also had to change my alternator. Got pulled over because she thought my lights were off. I begged her to not make me turn my truck off and turn my lights on, because it would drain my battery. Sure enough I get out and block her headlights and you could see my taillights. I get in my truck and it's dead. Me and my girlfriend pushed started it in front of her hahaha.

I should post what I deal with sometime in the datsun stories. I put about a 600-1000 miles on a week so I've got alot of them.

And my carb started working a hell of alot better too. I suggest to anyone who gets a datsun with the stock carb to just get some fuel system cleaner before calling it shot. Though I'm sure it's in pretty bad condition just cleaning out the lines and giving my engine a chance to breath helped alot.

I know I need to start posting more pictures, but I'm usually posting from my phone so I can't. Alot of times I'm usually standing right next to my truck too hahaha.

Seems like people on here aren't to interested in things unless it's some extremely technical conversion about compression rations and fabricating things, so I stopped going through the trouble of taking pictures, emailing them, then driving to work so I can use the comp and post them.

Though I'm always up for advice, and I drive ALOT, so tacoma isn't that far away if you every want to help me with my dottie.

Seems like people on here aren't to interested in things unless it's some extremely technical conversion about compression rations and fabricating things, so I stopped going through the trouble of taking pictures, emailing them, then driving to work so I can use the comp and post them.

NOT TRUE at all. Check out RadioRedline's build thread.....Get Garage

Start your own and keep all your 'spare parts' in it. :lol:

When my truck started to backfire on the freeway, more when I stepped on the gas, less with a lighter foot, and kept missing after I exited the freeway, I pulled the sparkplugs and found #3 was a differant color, pulled the valve cover and found #3 valve wouldn't close anymore. They sell shit gas nowdays, it is not made for carbs anymore. Maybe an intake valve is out of adjustment, black soot on the filter.

• 3 months later...

yeah wayno I think I have a sticking exhaust valve too, crap gas bah. I need to get in there and do a valve adjust anywho assuming none of them are crispy. I'm just procrastinating, I'm scared what I might find and how much that might end up costing.