Overcoming Denial

Cruzn620

well i thought that my little L20 was good to go once i got it running, but i started it up today after i got all the vacuum stuff ran correctly and i have proven myself wrong i do believe. i set the idle and it idles so smooth, but there is smoke constantly coming out of the valve cover vent, so i am guessing that i am getting a lot of blow by and i should just tear it down and build it back up. am i correct in this presumption? there is another L motor here really cheap, it has a bad head, and i have a good head, so i think i'll make 1 good motor out of the two, then with my two "bad" motors, build them to make a really nice unit, and sell which ever one i feel like selling. it was a bummer day, but at least the thing starts for me now!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

right now i have no brakes, otherwise, yeah, i could keep it going. i have no clue on the brakes either, i have replaced everything i know to replace and i still have no brake pressure, but this is not the appropriate forum to discuss brakes. once i get the brakes fixed, i do plan on getting ready for a transplant/build up. i think she knows that she is going to be a show truck and she already wants a nice new painted block...stingy stingy trucks!

Where exactly is the "smoke" coming from? There will be a little or alot of blow by with a new motor. On the brake issue. I know it might sound dumb, but did you bleed all the air out of the master cylinder? I had the same problem with my 521. Different Master cylinders I know but same problems. I had to bleed mine a couple times. My trick was to stick a Very small screwdriver into the outgoing brakeline hole. Then slowly push the brake pedal. Make sure you tilt it so the air runs up and out the hole. You should do this with the unit off the truck. The small air bubbles get stuck in there and cavitate which prevents bleeding. After all the air stopped coming out I bolted it up and had ok pedal right off the batt. I then oppened the bleeder valves on all the wheels untill they had fluid coming out. Then I bled them normally........and my brakes were great!

Good Luck:thumbsup:

smoke is coming out of the valve cover vent (instead of a hose going back into my air cleaner, i just have a small filter on it) and on the brakes, im going to buy one of those "bleeder" tools this week and hopefully i can get a good bleed on that master cylinder. and five...how do i take the master cylinder off the truck and still have it function with the pedal? and my calipers and pads are good up front, i have new hoses up front. in the rear i have new drums, shoes and cylinders. you can read all my brake stuff in the brakes forum, ive got a whole rundown on it there. it just sucks, all i do is show this truck love and it keeps rejecting me! but for 2 years i have been trying to get this motor right, and it all boils down to the fact that i am really going to have to tear into it now. at least i know how it all goes together i suppose!

Make sure after you bleed them with that bleeder. You do a manual bleed with the brake pumping and hold etc. That thing wont get it all out. Trust me. I have a Very good air bleeder and theres always a small amount of bubbles left. Usually takes two times per side to get it all out.

Just remember to start furthest away, which youve probebly heard a million times.:D