vg30 in 521

patrowan

I thought (it was pointed out to me) I would show some pictures of what has been my dayly driver since 73. It used to be a 1300 but at about 200k (and 3 engines) in 88 I put in the v6 and auto trans. They came out of a 87 hardbody (tbi) and with the .67 od it worked out well (if you want a quick ride) with the 4.88 rear end. Later I put a 78' 4.4 rear axle and just lately (high gas prices) a 3.70 pumpkin out of an 84'. I don't know how much you can see, but basically I cut off the front crossmember, engine mounts, trans mount and made new replacements. Also the crossmember that goes under the engine between the suspension was remade about 2 in. lower, that might have been avoided with a different pan, but that was what I had. I orginally flipped the steering center link to gain clearence, but eventually that took out the steering gear box and Idler arm (who knew I'd keep the truck that long). So I made a dropped center link. Right now it has it's third engine and I've rebuilt the trans once (needs it again, od clutch pack is dying). All in all it's been a very reliable swap. OH, if you notice there's not much left of the orginal 68 body (it been hit 5 times and I've put into 2 walls to avoid hitting cars when the back brakes lockup in a panic stop). I put disc brakes front and back (in brake section) to fix lockup. The truck has about 650k miles on it now.

u_carriage.jpg

truck.jpg

engine.jpg

interior.jpg

f_chassis.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaha, agreed... do you have pics of the whole swap, or just of the current state? I was dreaming one day and trying to figure out how to shove a 3.0 inside the compartment, but just decided it wasn't for me. It would make a hell of a drive though...

• Like 1

DAMN!! That is some great stuff. I love the fact that you can't even tell from the outside. looks like just another old Ratsun. Pop the hood and she looks like she came off the factory line after coming out of the time warp. Very nice indeed.

Now, as to the pictures........MORE, MORE, MORE!!!!!!!!!! :D:D

Jester

oh man, I'm about to pick up a 521.. now i'll never be able to get the thought of putting a VG in it out of my head! :lol:

If there was a picture of next to the automotive definition of a "sleeper" it would be your truck! :D

How hard was the disc setup?

Very nice work, hope to see some more pictures.

• Like 1

Right On, somebody finally came through and actually has pics of this conversion. You have the only vg30 datsun 2wd truck that i know of. That means that i have a few questions. One for now, What fuel pump are you running?? In tank, or external? Throttle body motor requires what fuel pressure?

Jason

• Like 1

why did you have to change the engine mounts? The ka bolted right into my 620 and they run the same frame mounts for the vg as they do the KA on the HB's. Are the J motor mount locations very different than the L-motor mounts? peace.

• Like 1

The tank and pump came out of the 88 d21. I put it on the other side of the stock tank and ran a line between them, so I've got about 26 gallons capacity (over 500 miles). I'm pretty sure the pressure is 35 psi (I've measured it once or twice). I think that I read somewhere that there's a VW external pump (in it's own tank) that works.

As far as the mounts go, I use the one that were on the engine because that's what I had (there're liguid filled and $$). I don't know about much about what other mounts are like, sorry.

I did quite a few swaps when I was younger and learned the best way to get a reliable setup is to use as much off the orginal vehicle as you can.

As for the disc setup, I put the info in the post on nwde (last page) and some (no pics) in the brake section here.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Can anyone tell me the trick of relocating the alternator? Like what bracket, belt...

I've seen many many VG setup; the alternator are usually located on the lower half of the engine. But this one.

see picture 3 of the very first post

• Like 1

I made a right angle bracket out of aluminum (you could probably use a piece of 2 in channel) that bolts to two holes on the side of the block. I think they were for the ac but not sure. I made another right angle bracket for the tension arm that bolts to a hole right below the distributor.

• Like 1

Nissan moved the alternator around several times with VG's, 84-86 z cars had it in a different position as well as the 87-89 z's. Also, I believe some pathy's ran it slightly higher and on the drivers side to clear the steering box. You might wanna check out 86-91 maximas as well. peace.

• Like 1

I am trying to keep the AC, PS and alternator. They all need to be mounted above the oil pan lip. I've a Z VG alternator mounted on the passenger side of the engine, but the lower part of the alternator still below the oil pan lip.

patrowan, do you have any problem with the alternator; it's so close to the exhaust manifold?

• Like 1