BACARDI_DWB

ok going to the junkyard and i am going to build me an engine:

Z24 block (with single chain)

Z24 Rods

Z24 Crank

KA24DE pistons

Ka24DE Timing cover

KA24DE head

yes i know this has not been done yet with the dual cam KA. its only been done (documented that i can find so far) on the single cam.

but the way it looks this sounds like its going to be an awesome set up. the KA head is 45.7cc combustion chamber. and the KA24de pistons from what i have seen have a -22 dish in them. that would equate for a 8.6 compression ratio. now i would still beable to run on the street N/A for a while until i get a turbo setup and EFI done. yes i am going to see about making my own carb setup on the KA24DE. i am not ready yet for EFI.

if the head does not fit without costing lots of $$$ then i will just stick with teh peanut head i have stuck on the z24 i am getting. that should still be fun. i was just wondering how much work its going to be to get the KA24DE to work on the Z24.

i know alot of you are thinking why not just go with the KA short block. well because there are already motormounts that work for the Z24, it bolts to the 5speed transmission i already have with no work. and cause from what i have seen the z24's internals are beefier than the ka's (subject to debate.)

anyone have any suggestions, comments?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you seen this page? http://zac510.ozdat.com/ It is single cam, but some of the info may apply. It seems like a really involved project, but maybe some of that is due to the Oz pieces he used. I'm not familiar enough with the different KA bits to know.

The other thing - I keep reading here and there about cracks in Z24 blocks, but I'd really like to know if this is a rare thing, like maybe an engine that has been seriously overheated, or is a common condition. I seem to recall the crack is at the top face of the block. Anyone know if this is something that can be seen after careful cleaning, or if the cracks can only be found by Magnafluxing?

It sounds like a cool project if you can make it work. I'm really curious about the Z24 blocks, since I see them at Pull n' Save now and then.

Len

What is the advantage over just using a stock KA24DE engine!? :blink:

If you're thinking of doing this engine build, then compared to that custom engine mounts are a piece of cake. (and very simular to the Z24 mounts)

The KA and Z blocks bolt up the same and use the same clutch.

What does it matter if the Z24 is beefier... the KA24DE can take 15+psi ...

A stock KA24DE is my suggestion but if you have that much time on your hands, go for the buildup

What is the advantage over just using a stock KA24DE engine!? :blink:

If you're thinking of doing this engine build, then compared to that custom engine mounts are a piece of cake. (and very simular to the Z24 mounts)

The KA and Z blocks bolt up the same and use the same clutch.

What does it matter if the Z24 is beefier... the KA24DE can take 15+psi ...

A stock KA24DE is my suggestion but if you have that much time on your hands, go for the buildup

I agree with Bleach it would be alot cheaper to do a KA24de rather than do the build that way and you can get a complete stroker kit from Brian Crower and make the KA a 2.65L. and I can get you a side draft intake manifold for the KA... very pricey ($600) and you can run carbs (my choice too) I know Rebello has done what you want to do and its for a turbo app. also Just a thought if you are worried about $$$ :D

thanks guys. that actually makes alot of sense. get the z24 and the peanut head that i have right now. make that reliable and then find a motorset KA and swap that in with the fuel injection. sounds like a good plan. plus that would save me lots of time searching for this stuff.

now i have the 280z 5 speed transmission already. i am trying to keep that setup since its nice and already there. will the ka bolt up to it? i most likely have to swap bellhousings right?

now bleach. how different were your motormounts?

i am still going to go to the junkyard and see how much the block can go together, i am interested in how hard it will be. also if you put ka24E pistons in you can have 11:1 compression ratio !!! WOW, i would never do that, too much compression for the street running

The bellhousing and mounts you're thinking of won't work with a KA head since the KA leans the other way. ALSO now I can't remember exactly but i THINK that you need a frontier timing cover, I haven't thought too much on the DE head, E block thing in the last year or so, so I'm a bit foggy.

Stick with L/Z like everyone was saying.

Also, if you're not ready for EFI, you're not ready for boost, and you don't need to bother chasing low compression.