Need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

primo74620

I bought a 74' 620 about 2 months ago. When I saw the truck is ran fine. The day I picked it up it stalled on me at a stop when a press on the clutch to stop, it fired right up but I had to keep my foot on the accelerator to keep it from turning off. As I drove it, it started to spudder as if it was out of fuel and I went straight to the gas station and fueled it up. The problem did not go away. A few days past and it kept acting up and eventually wouldn't even fire up (engine turns). I was told that I had no spark at the coil,so I installed a new coil and it still has no spark at the coil. I need help fast, I am getting really frustrated because I have always wanted one of these trucks and now this.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You ck the points. Since a 74 had points ck to see if the gap is correct. If points are alwas closed the coil will not fire.

take this to a old VW shop. they might be able to help w/o ripping you off.

Yeah I installed new points and condenser. But I am not sure if a gapped it right.

I was told that I had no spark at the coil,so I installed a new coil and it still has no spark at the coil.

Without finding out for yourself, this, has cost you for a new coil you didn't need. The old Datsuns need owners that are willing to work on them, maintain them and learn about them, or if you have lots of money you will become a mechanics dream.

Very generally you need two things for them to run.

ONE/ spark. Take one of the spark plug leads off and stick an old plug or a screw driver in the end and lay on the valve cover. Crank motor over.... you should see a spark jump from the wire to the grounded valve cover. If no spark this will have to be investigated further. Possible causes: Ignition switch bad, coil bad, distributor cap or rotor bad, points worn or out of adjustment, bad wires.

TWO/ gas. Take air filter off and look at front of carb. There is glass cover with an etched line or a metal cover with small glass bull's eye with a dot to represent the proper fuel level. If there is fuel probably everything is fine. If no fuel this will have to be investigated further. Possible causes: empty tank, tank not vented or bad gas cap, clogged filter, bad fuel pump, clogged inlet screen or needle valve, float stuck in up position,

Nine times out of ten one of these two things is missing. It is very possible to have both but still not run, but knowing eliminates a lot of other possibilities.

• 3 weeks later...

On my 620, I've had the wire the goes threw the distributor to the point corrode to where it would get some spark but not enough to run. That was frustrating until I figured it out 2 weeks later, trial and error and learning as you go seems to work for me.