Datsun Boat

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Memorial Day dual L-20-B boating action ! ! !

P1010568.jpg

P1010557.jpg

P1010563.jpg

P1010550.jpg

P1010553.jpg

The sound of both boats going up river is INCREDIBLE ! ! ! Other than the mild water being added to the exhaust for very minor sound deadning, these both sound like open headers on 2 trucks going by ! ! ! ! UNREAL ! ! ! :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Did they ever build a boat with an A series motor?

What would be required to build a boat driveline off of an A14 like what is in my 81 210?

Not sure if an A series motor was ever used but other than changing the motor mounts on the boat i dont see why you couldnt.

Ill get a pic of the back of the motor where it goes into the jet so you can see how it's done. The Datsun boats used a Castoldi jet & Ive seen one use a Hamilton jet as well.

• 2 months later...

These photos were taken off of Craigslist. This boat is currently for sale in Fresno, CA.

3n03k43o95O15W15P4b8vef6d18a606ae1188.jpg

3kd3m33of5T15Z55P5b8vb47f6a1299e11eda.jpg

3mf3pe3l75Y45Z15S1b8vef36c907bb941ada.jpg

3n73k63o45V15T45R3b8v2b1c477fe0e413ed.jpg

It has a lot of similarities to Mine such as trim plates, gas tank and other smaller things that I have noticed. I wonder if Conqueror made them in blue??

• 1 month later...

Looks like that boat is gone. If you come accross another pm me.

I just bought one up here in Marysville CA - but it has a closed bow - more like a speed boat. But has an L20B - and it runs - needs some work but for 500 bucks - It will be fun to get going - But didn't get your in Fresno

boat4.jpg

boat3.jpg

boat2.jpg

boat1.jpg

There You go!!! I have a theory on this boat. Hulls and top sections are laid with 2 different molds. The bottom is seperate and looks exactly like Mine and Mark's hulls. The top section with the closed bow and dash might have been another option that Conqueror sold. Just pick which top the buyer wanted and graft it to the bottom hull. They are connected on most boats together where the aluminum strip with the black plastic covering runs all along the side. One other thing..... Check by sanding on the engine block where the engine ID number is. Does it match Your hull number? Mark's and Mine do. There should be a Conqueror Marine VIN plate/builder's plate installed on the inside side railing. Also, You should see Conqueror cast in the manifold. Did You get a title and if so what year does it show that it was built? ENJOY!!!!

boat4.jpg

boat3.jpg

boat2.jpg

boat1.jpg

There You go!!! I have a theory on this boat. Hulls and top sections are laid with 2 different molds. The bottom is seperate and looks exactly like Mine and Mark's hulls. The top section with the closed bow and dash might have been another option that Conqueror sold. Just pick which top the buyer wanted and graft it to the bottom hull. They are connected on most boats together where the aluminum strip with the black plastic covering runs all along the side. One other thing..... Check by sanding on the engine block where the engine ID number is. Does it match Your hull number? Mark's and Mine do. There should be a Conqueror Marine VIN plate/builder's plate installed on the inside side railing. Also, You should see Conqueror cast in the manifold. Did You get a title and if so what year does it show that it was built? ENJOY!!!!

I think you are right on the model - just sell what the people ask for - just change the top. I did check the vin - yes it matches like you said - the eng # -with the hull. i do have the paper work title for boat and trailer - 1975 boat model. So now how the H#!! do you change the oil without making a huge mess? Not that it would be to hard to pull the engine but really ? But have some work to do but hoping I will take some time and get it on the water this spring. I will get it on the water and then take the time to trick it out - paint and polish & powder coat everything. Steve

Boats are commonly made with a separate deck and hull. Quite often, boat companies put an open bow deck or a closed bow deck on top of the same hull. It is just a "shoebox" type fit, and after fitting the two parts together, and screwing them, a rub rail hides the joint.

http://www.harborfre...pump-66418.html

image_16308.jpg

This or something like it, the hose gets fed down the dipstick tube.

Really glad you bought it I was about to call and feed my addiction to projects I can never finish.

Oh Yes - I have some of those - like 5 or 6 dozen :) Did you look at the Boat ?

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the link, Mike.........I never realized they used the L motor in those :) Doesn't surprize though seeing how reliable it would be with just the barest of maint :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, I guess now I am collecting boats ! ! ! Mark found another Sundance a few months ago here in Bullhead City. The crazy thing is it was only 3 blocks away from My barn and sitting behind two Z cars (that I have DEFINATELY seen many times). He inquired about it and checked it out. I went over a few days later and it "might be" for sale the owner said. He must have needed CHRISTmas money because this week I saw Him out in His yard and asked again. Yes was the answer. So within an hour it was headed to My place. He did say twice that it would start right up (Yeah, right). Mark came over today and sure enough, the man was right, IT FIRED ! ! We squirted oil down each cylinder, cleaned the sparkplugs, made a few other small repairs and first try, it started ! ! So now the thought of 3 boats running up the river next summer sounds almost too incredible 40 years after they were built ! ! I have to get registration done and purchase new trailer tires then dunk it in at the Laughlin, NV. launch and see if the jet works. Stay tuned ! !

P1013648_zps0f056048.jpg

P1013645_zps7e5309b8.jpg

P1013646_zpsc448c7e8.jpg

P1013647_zps9075bc50.jpg

Yes, Mark, Thank You ! ! Not only is it fun saving another part of history but as well comparing it to what We have already found and know about. We feel this boat has been "re-motored" but one significant find is the original wiring loom and gauge locations. Both Mark and My boats have been rewired and We had no idea where "mystery" wires had ran at one time. This boat has a very simple loom that We will be carefully tracing and logging. With this in mind both of Our other boats can now be easily rewired and wires not needed removed. This boat also has never had cleats installed, as is Mine. I cann't imagine a boat without cleats to tie it up on a dock, etc., but it appears they were not sold with cleats or night running lights. Very interesting. I am still hoping that one day a dealers brochure will surface that can answer questions but this boat has answered a few. Also, all 3 of the "Bullhead boats" have different trailers. I cann't figure that mystery out. The trailer on the yellow "Bakersfield" boat (above for sale) has a trailer that looks exactly like Mine, but the way the boats are secured are different. Maybe His is more correct due to the blue/yellow California license plate dating back possibly to when it was sold new. As more photos surface maybe in time these questions will be answered. The only other way is to either find a person that was employed at Conqueror or a non changed one owner boat that is exactly the way it was as sold. It is very cool though to find all these years later pieces of Datsun history.

• 1 month later...

ATTN:

ANOTHER BOAT FOUND ! ! !   The crazy thing is it is only about 1/4 mile from the last (above) find ! !   It has been behind a fence for 15 years until being pulled out last week. It is in as good a shape as My yellow boat if not in some cases better. The hatch is missing but last month's find could provide one.

P1013639_zpsa7b1e49b.jpg

P1013635_zps30b18f9a.jpg

P1013634_zpsfae418a0.jpg

P1013642_zps5ea632f9.jpg