Merlin's 521- attack of the killer TowMater

merlin

Hi folks,

First time poster on Ratsun... long time Dattosan guy... some of you will know me from other places and my writing...

Picked up this 521 today... nice fairly solid runner- everything is stock and there...My link

Needs brakes... i hear someone here sells a front disc conversion bracket?... if so, i'll need 3 kits... 310, 320 and this truck... and maybe my 65 Cedric...

Merlin B

www.datsunhistory.com

www.nissansportmag.com

1960 310

1965 320

1965 Nissan Cedric Sedan

1968 Roadster project

1968/69 Patrol

1968 510 racerod. project.

1969 510 " Bad Granny"

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you can't post pics from your 510realm photo album

you will need to upload them with a image hosting site....... I used Google Picasa for your 3 pics:

nice truck Merlin:............... and welcome to Ratsun.... (it gets very addicting,,, , and it makes the510realm look really slow and boring . ... :lol: )

my521-1.jpg

my521-2.jpg

my521-3.jpg

I'm going to be easy on you because I think you're great,,,

and ima let you finish...

But people are going to start demanding pics in ..... 3....... 2 .......... 1....

lmfao... Can i directly upload like the 510 realm, or do i need to host them online... the link on the post noew works...

nice rig! i scoped that out on craigslist last week thinking i should scoop it up. glad it went to an enthusiast! if the kingpins are ok you can just do brackets but if not you can get a control arm swap from beebani that updates to the newer hardbody spindles and discs. i think... lol

everything is nce and tight... i took the drums off yesterday... all the brake bits are in good shape... it just looks like ther was a slow leak somewhere and the MC drained out. The truck came with new shoes in a box, s i'm going to pt them in, adjust and bleed, then see what i've got... i orderd adapter brackets already and will do the 720 swap when they come in.

• 2 weeks later...

put new rear shoes in, new bleeders and bled it ... drums are too tight( click up or down on adjusters to loosen? methinks some of them are in backwards) but she rolls and goes under her own power so i put plates on it.

just need to seal the gastank and reinstall to be stock and street legal- got a honda outboard tanki on ther now lol! (may just go with a fuel cell(anything donor out there that fits well?)

Got a set of the bumperettes from ebay... 2 more precoats before chroming and these guys would have a decent product - i'll use them, but might have a local chromer redo them later..

• 3 weeks later...

got a set of really nice hardbody front brakes yesterday off a fresh wreck 89 2wd v6... the wrecking yard actually had 2 vg extended cabs- an 88 as well... i'll go back for the other set for my Cedric.

I'm new to these trucks as parts cars... what else should i be grabbing? how does the rear axle length compare to the 521?

I think the D-21 and WD-21 are 150cm so 59?" wide brake drum to brake drum. Also the V6 come with H-233 and the axles are 31spline till about '95 when they went even bigger.

Left is 31 spline WD-21 and the right is a 720 axle from an H-190. The 720 axle assy is about 57" wide I think.

720stuff020Large.jpg

Just about drove off the road today...... :o ......when I seen a 521 coming my way.....WTF?

Then I realized it was you..... :D

More oics.

You repair or replace the gas tank?

Should check out that other truck in East Blackpool.

LOL i get quite a few comments... lots of local "old guys" had these... lotta love for the 520- 521's.. nope didn't fix the gas tank, running a honda outboard tank from the box for now.:blink: ;)

yup that parts truck looks like it has real potential... is it beside the railway? i could just see something about that colour 200 yards from the road. Yup, lets take a drive soon and scope it out.

LOL i get quite a few comments... lots of local "old guys" had these... lotta love for the 520- 521's.. nope didn't fix the gas tank, running a honda outboard tank from the box for now.:blink: ;)

yup that parts truck looks like it has real potential... is it beside the railway? i could just see something about that colour 200 yards from the road. Yup, lets take a drive soon and scope it out.

Ya....I figured the boat tank was still operational in the 521.

Well...lets throw a honda outboard on it and hit the river.....since you already have the tank :)

It's just on the other side.....should make it.

All relative to the launch of course....... :blink: :)

I'll drop by tomorrow at 2 if you want....there was a change of plan...work wise.

Should I bring a PFD...? :D

Edited by Sealik

Road trip with Merlin this afternoon.

Amazed.....the truck was still there.

Excellent.......... lots of usable parts.

And the price was even better........... :thumbup:

If I remember correctly.....that tranie (and engine?) was rebuilt just before the kid rolled it.

m7.jpg

m3.jpg

m5.jpg

Here's a couple extra pics.......of Merlins 'shit'.... :D

m2.jpg

m1.jpg