1970 Plymouth Duster 5MGTE swap

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like this project as it will be a challenge and plus the 5MGTE is a really good engine. i want to be able to cruise into the All Mopar shows "let the lynchings begin", plus attend the import meets as well, without getting booted. plus have the smooth power that the 5mgte provides and suffer less of harsh drive. well i got the actual weight of the Mopar 360 engine and trans. it weighed in at 770 lbs. so now i need to see what the supra's engine and trans weight is.

according to Wikipedia the 7MGTE's weight is "Weight: 210 kg (463 lb)" i know the trans and bell is 80 lbs.

here are some more #'s found on celicasupra forum:

7M-GTE long block fully dressed w/ flywheel no turbo no starter 207kg (456lb)

5MGE long block: 340lb

18R-GEU - 130kg (286lb)

1G-GTE (gen 3) - 175kg (385lb)

1JZ-GTE - fully dressed, no turbo 217kg (477lb)

22re - (w/ manifold, w/o accessories and starter) 318lb

3S-G - 293lb

6MGE

7MGE

2JZGE

(feel free to add)

Would also be cool to do the transmissions as well.

W58 - 90lb with bellhousing

R154

Getrag 6 speed 152 lbs"

so based on 7mgte fully dressed is 456 lbs + turbo 43 lbs, say + 10 lbs for starter + 100 for clutch and transmission. the complete 5mgte and trans, should be about 610 lbs. for a "guessed" weight loss 161 lbs. "so if i was to be serving crow, i'd take a bite!" there will be other things on the Duster that will get removed like the 2.5 inch dual exhaust system for single exhaust system.

So for the Record: ( Z-Train ), looks like you were about 100 lbs off and i was about 130 lbs off. so as a piece offering i would offer you the smaller piece of crow.... i will not have the 5mgte pulled for a couple weeks. then we will see for sure.

well out with the old and in with the new!i had picked some cores to start mocking everything up. i had to pull an oil pan from a 3rd gen. supra 7mge. i had major clearance problems with the Dusters K-member. now she is all nestled in. i now have clearance on everything! i couldn't have asked for a better fit. now i need to fab the engine mount brackets. the pass side will be somewhat easy, the drivers side will take some thought. the best part of this project is my son is involved with it too and he is getting an education.

1002001633.jpg

1003001055.jpg

1003001056.jpg

1003001111.jpg

1003101129a.jpg

1003101423.jpg

1003001533.jpg

1003001631.jpg

1003101129.jpg

Man... regardless who says what when you get this done youre going to have a fun car and if you take it to any mopar shows people will be talking about it just as much as some numbers match hemi sitting across the way. The fact that youre doing it all with stuff youve got on hand makes it even better... Ratsun as fuck and it aint even a datsun.

You going to do anything with the exterior to give away the toyota motor?

If you do the suspension up right you could auto X this thing as well... or at least go in a direction other than straight... something that V8 A bodies arent really known for... :cool:

So what is the story on the truck?

• Like 1

well the truck is going to be on hold for a couple years, unless i get rich over night. it will be a Restoration nowhere near its orig. condition.

as for the Duster it will be a family wagon for shows and such. i will be removing the 340 hood scoop emblems and placing the "Celica" Dragon side emblems off a 71 Celica. the 340 side stripe or hockey stick stripe as some call it the "340" will be replaced with 5MGTE.. so i will be doing some changes. the Pentastar badge on the pass side fender will remain a Pentastar. it would be wrong to alter that one. it would be like a Priest kicking in a stained glass window. its just wrong.

I really like this project as it will be a challenge and plus the 5MGTE is a really good engine. i want to be able to cruise into the All Mopar shows "let the lynchings begin", plus attend the import meets as well, without getting booted. plus have the smooth power that the 5mgte provides and suffer less of harsh drive. well i got the actual weight of the Mopar 360 engine and trans. it weighed in at 770 lbs. so now i need to see what the supra's engine and trans weight is.

according to Wikipedia the 7MGTE's weight is "Weight: 210 kg (463 lb)" i know the trans and bell is 80 lbs.

here are some more #'s found on celicasupra forum:

7M-GTE long block fully dressed w/ flywheel no turbo no starter 207kg (456lb)

5MGE long block: 340lb

18R-GEU - 130kg (286lb)

1G-GTE (gen 3) - 175kg (385lb)

1JZ-GTE - fully dressed, no turbo 217kg (477lb)

22re - (w/ manifold, w/o accessories and starter) 318lb

3S-G - 293lb

6MGE

7MGE

2JZGE

(feel free to add)

Would also be cool to do the transmissions as well.

W58 - 90lb with bellhousing

R154

Getrag 6 speed 152 lbs"

so based on 7mgte fully dressed is 456 lbs + turbo 43 lbs, say + 10 lbs for starter + 100 for clutch and transmission. the complete 5mgte and trans, should be about 610 lbs. for a "guessed" weight loss 161 lbs. "so if i was to be serving crow, i'd take a bite!" there will be other things on the Duster that will get removed like the 2.5 inch dual exhaust system for single exhaust system.

So for the Record: ( Z-Train ), looks like you were about 100 lbs off and i was about 130 lbs off. so as a piece offering i would offer you the smaller piece of crow.... i will not have the 5mgte pulled for a couple weeks. then we will see for sure.

No problem.For the record,i wasn't commenting on what you were/are doing.Just the amount of weight.

And getting back to the "theme",my wifes 620 is going to be Plum Crazy and the shifter is a pistol-grip out of an A-body.And i'm going to put "Bumble-bee" stripes on the bed with 620 instead of "500".

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now,KTM-you were saying?

Damn. Why is that gene guy yellin at ya.

It's your car do what you want. I have always wanted to do an RB swap in a 63 ranchero. for some reason I think that would be badass.

well i have to make a fresh air intake on the pass side and also need to feed air to a top mounted intercooler mounted above the drivers inner fenderwell under the hood. the scoops will be made out of aluminum measuring 3.5" x 12" one on the pass side and one on the drivers. there will be a rectangle duct 4' x 6" going up through the fenderwells from the scoops for feed air for both intercooler and intake.

1003001718.jpg

1005001928.jpg

1005101933.jpg

i got one of the scoops cut and near ready for welding, the second one .... i will get tomorrow

1007001911.jpg

Hey! Want to pass that 4 speed over to me? Sure will enjoy it in my dart =P

got a deal going. will take a couple weeks to see if he comes through. its not going for a "Ratsun" price its a $1000 for everything i have. 4 speeds are a blast to drive, no doubt!

1) Purists are lame. Besides, it's not like Dusters are rare. Rock on.

2) Showing your kid the ropes is worth more than anything. Well-done, sir.

3) Not only will the engine be lighter, the car will be as well. I foresee awesomeness.

• Like 2

Fuck yEAH I love the 5m. SCrew the rb, This is a beautiful looking engine. Very cool build.

i agree, this engine is clean looking. a 7m,1-2jz's or the RB they all look the same. harder to pick out of a crowd. 5M stands out. may not be the power house the others are. not looking for a race car. or else i would have stayed with the V-8 and 4 spd. thanks for the support. i am waiting for the engine brackets to get laser cut. it might take a while cuz i am working the favor deal to keep costs down. so it may take some time.

This weighs 2810 with me in it. A completely gutted 68 GTS 340 dart. There's no interior, and aluminum ds and rear end pumpkin aluminum SS seat brackets with van buckets and an all iron 11:1 340 with aluminum sp M1.

The only reason I haven't gone your route is because it's an original GTS. So it's going to get a 410 efi'd twin turbo (out of 2 7mgte supras) instead! Good on you for doing what you want with YOUR car. :thumbup:

I'd love to have your 4 spd btw but have no money and shipping on a 90 lb tranny would kill me haha.

Paul

1129071303a.jpg

The one turbo came out of this before I sold it along with the intercooler. Yep a 7mgte in a mkII supra!

DSCF0069.jpg

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...............

• Like 1