Adapter Plate Conversion From NAP-Z to VG30i or VG30E

ZXR

Someone locally here in Vancouver told me that someone on here sells an Adapter plate conversion for a VG30i or VG30E to bolt directly up to a NAP-Z or 4 cylinder transmission. I have the NAP-Z in my 1987 Hardbody 4X4 and I am looking to do a conversion to the preferably VG30E engine. I don't know where on here to find the guy who sells the adapter plate. Anyone know him or where to find it? I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never heard of an adapter plate for your tranny as they were used with the VG30 motor. Easier and cheaper to....

1/ Go to a wrecking yard and find a D-21 VG30E or i with 5 speed and buy it. (the 5 speed) OR

2/ Find any damaged/destroyed car or truck 5 speed from a VG30 and buy it for $10. Remove the front case half. Takes about 15 min. Take your 5 speed and swap the front VG case onto it. (takes longer)

Never heard of an adapter plate for your tranny as they were used with the VG30 motor. Easier and cheaper to....

1/ Go to a wrecking yard and find a D-21 VG30E or i with 5 speed and buy it. (the 5 speed) OR

2/ Find any damaged/destroyed car or truck 5 speed from a VG30 and buy it for $10. Remove the front case half. Takes about 15 min. Take your 5 speed and swap the front VG case onto it. (takes longer)

You're right! I don't know why I didn't think of that?!? Prob because I looked at my buddy's 88' Pathfinder (VG30i) tranny and noticed that it was completely different then mine. Thinking that it would be swappable, without changing the transfer case as well. If a VG30E 5-speed bell housing will bolt directly up to my tranny, then I'm golden. I'm almost 100% sure that I am going to go with the VG30E and buy the Carb Intake manifold from www.vg30.com that has been modified to run a Holley 500cfm carb. I will just have to find a VG30E donor now and rebuild it. Unless it has low mileage, I may just bolt it up as is. Thinking of just installing a cam and call it good. Now all I need to figure out is whether the VG30E will bolt up in my Hardbody without fabricating engine mounts (rather, seeing if I can use the VG30E engine mounts out of the 1990 to 1995 Hardbody's or Pathy's). I will prob buy the Edelbrock fuel pump with internal regulator or find another way to dumb down my pressure from the TBi setup. The only other thing to consider is the flywheel and cluch to use. One would assume using a clutch and flywheel from a VG30E and maybe clutch master and slave cylinders, right? Or what would you suggest?

Don't get me wrong, I love FI, but when thinking of doing a swap over to what I really want, that would cost rediculous amounts of money, too much time and way too much fabrication. I already have well over $20k in my 1979 Datsun 280ZXR (www.280zxr.com) and I really don't want another time consuming project like that again. At least it's my show car and I've owned it for the last 14 years. Just want to find a simple conversion with potentially more power then the NAPZ.

Also, doing this conversion, could also be informational to others that just want a simple, easy conversion to more potential power without spending a lot of money.

Mike, you're a mastermind. I've appreciated all of your experience and expertise. Just wish on this last thread, I would've put more thought into it, before I asked such a rediculous question that had such a simple answer. The point would've been to make you think, but no luck this time around. Thanks again!