my block is cracked

hooliganPL620

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i dunno but im gonna pull the engine and have my machinist look it over......brand new top end looks like it will be matched by new bottom end........fucking hippie gah!!! oh well time to go performance i guess.....any ideas on a good bullet proof bottom end ? that is cheap if the block is usable its already 0 decked

went to start my engine rebuild this afternoon dropped the oil 2 gallons of coolant.......pulled the water pump 5qts of oil.......just rebuilt the head..............grrrrrrrr lying hippie that sold me this truck .........thank god boss has a spare l16 lying around

I don't follow. You have 2 gallons of coolant in the oil pan and 5 quarts of oil in the cooling system???? Could be a bad timing cover with a hole in the water pump cavity. Doesn't mean a crack unless you find one.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Whats funnier the hippie or the laugh :unsure: :lol:

What Mike said,

I don't follow. You have 2 gallons of coolant in the oil pan and 5 quarts of oil in the cooling system???? Could be a bad timing cover with a hole in the water pump cavity. Doesn't mean a crack unless you find one.

If there is that much oil or coolant thats a very noticable crack :o

didnt even get the head on bought it with the head already off and a burnt exhaust valve i had the head rebuilt bout a new chain kit, oil pump, water pump dizzy, etc. I was gonna drop the pan and check the bearings and the rings quick hone it and start reassembling....but after seeing all this it has to come out ive heard the l series dont crack i dunno much about em to be honest. Just really disheartening to see it puke coolant then see oil in the water pump

didnt even get the head on bought it with the head already off and a burnt exhaust valve i had the head rebuilt bout a new chain kit, oil pump, water pump dizzy, etc. I was gonna drop the pan and check the bearings and the rings quick hone it and start reassembling....but after seeing all this it has to come out ive heard the l series dont crack i dunno much about em to be honest. Just really disheartening to see it puke coolant then see oil in the water pump

this makes absolutely no sense to me

Me either!!

Drain the pan, wash it out, throw away water pump, install a new one. Check block for cracks while its in the truck/car. Look ok? Good, build that shit and rock it :D If you see a crack, then yank it. L blocks are easy, and pretty much bullet proof, id be surprised if it had a crack.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

L16

I am with h2theizzo on this, if you cannot see a crack,An L16 is as bulletproof as they get!

Probably front cover or bad head gasket(due to not a very good surface prep(on the block/ head surface) ;)

If you hone it, use this kind of tool. You lube it WELL, put in cylinder, turn drill on and go up and down at a decent speed. doesnt take much, you are just trying to score the walls a little bit and make a chris-cross pattern.

honing-tool-149116.jpg

Check youtube for how to hone a cylinder, there are some good videos of how to on there from an ASE certified mechanic, cant get it wrong once you see it... super easy

thanks izzo i know how to use a speed hone was asking for a brand on chevys i always use a mk tools quick hone tool with cutting oil and my honda i used 1030 and an over sized hone i stole frommy neighbor was asking for part brands people use i hate to say this but i hate federal mogul and beck arnly cheap taiwan shit anybody got some vintage new factory shit