cressida struts/shocks

Hello, I'm trying to get a cheap upgrade on my 92 MX83 cressida's suspension since my other car is being a little delayed.

I can get direct OEM replacement KYB GR-2 ones or Monroe for about $30 each front, $40 each rear(Which ones are stiffer?). Though I'm wondering if there are any different adjustable ones for MR2, supra, ect that will fit?

I have searched google, and found nothing so far. Does anyone have experience with the X83 model cressida?

Budget is limited at the moment. I want the best I can get for this, since I'm going to be cutting a little off my springs also and I will need better dampers for the higher spring rate.

This thing handles horrible at the moment!

And what to do with the old shocks? Throw them in the trash...?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

tokico brand!

KYB GR2 are close to stock,if that. Get Monroes if cheaper.

KYB Gas a just or the higher end AGX are better.

rockauto.com?

Yeah, rockauto has the GR2 and Monroe sensa-trac(Both come out to $135 per set). I'll check if tokico even makes struts for the X83... MX83 was 89-92 model btw.

If it helps any with options, I can pick up front MK2 supra strut/coil spring assembly, and rear MK3 supra ones.... they bolt-in. Would that be a worth-while upgrade?

edit, 935 motorsports sells some tokico HP series(or illumina for $100 more).

I think its $245 for a set, but its unclear.

offtopic, I was thinking of picking up some Z32 wheels for it at the junk yard. They are 16x8.5, unkown offset, 5x114.3... Should work?

this is me.

To keep it cheap just get the Monroe.

Tokicos Blue HP are very good.

Lumminas are better,

When I first got my Beater 510 I cut the springs and just put cheap gas Gabreiel/monroes in there and I thought it was a race car. But if its a strut type cartide I say then get the better one so they will last longer.and dont have to pull the strut out again.

Just what comes first.Your 510 or the Toyota.?

this is me.

To keep it cheap just get the Monroe.

Tokicos Blue HP are very good.

Lumminas are better,

When I first got my Beater 510 I cut the springs and just put cheap gas Gabreiel/monroes in there and I thought it was a race car. But if its a strut type cartide I say then get the better one so they will last longer.and dont have to pull the strut out again.

Just what comes first.Your 510 or the Toyota.?

510 comes first, I just want this thing to be able to corner when I want to drive! The current handling is such a mass of oversteer and understeer(found this out on autoX, also that I don't have ABS laugh.gif) that its impossible to have too much fun with it.

Monroe AND KYB GR2's are same price $135/set, I've read up on them and heard that Monroe are better comfort, and GR2's are usually a little stiffer? Definitely want this.

The 510 is coming along, I have enough work to do on it with the parts I already have.(rear drums, rear shocks, all front suspension/wheel wells) Its just taking a damn long time with my limited funds.

Thanks for the help. :D Now If i can get some Z32 wheels for cheap at the junkyard...(Online says they are $5 each for wheels...)

GR2's are a bit stiffer then the sens-i-trac.

AGX is the way to go, but i think you have to get mr2 pt# then put spacers down in the bottom of the strut housing or cut down the tubes.

with swapping the whole strut assemblie there is only one catch, that no one ever seems to mention...

celica's, AE86's, cressies, and supra's all have the same basic design, and all happen to have the same taper and thickness on the ball joint. so in short YES you can just bolt it up.

but...

each model and usually generation has slightly different angles built into the spindle. for example, on my 79 celica (2nd gen) i bolted on 3rd gen celica struts for bigger/vented brakes. bolted up fine but i ended up with about 2deg of positive camber with 2 coils cut, worse at stock height. the moral here is the camber built into the spindle is based off the pillow mount location and the ball joint location (think track width). so while they will all interchange, you might end up with unintended camber changes, for better or worse.

the reason i think its been overlooked, is i think im the only one out there to try and swap stuff around without using camber plates. so if you have camber plates you can use whatever you want, but might be limited because of built in camber.

and if my memory is correct, your rotors are already 12in, the supra's arnt any bigger/different or are the same.

Cool, thanks. For now since I'm on a budget I'll just go for the KYB GR2's. I'll upgrade to coilovers/koni MR2 struts later.

Thanks for the info, I've decided against the strut assembly swap anyways, seems to be too expensive for the amount of gain in performance that I'de get, if any. I've heard the cressida brakes are an UPGRADE for the MK2 supras!

So, I'm going to see if I can get cheap Z32 wheels, struts, and cut the springs a little. Should be good! :)