DIY Preformed Heater Hoses

MikeRL411

Blew my firewall heater hoses! Ever try to order preformed hoses for a 43 year old car? So I made my own.

DSCF0239.jpg

Here's what you have to deal with, a heater inside the passenger compartment and 2 preformed hoses behind the motor in the engine compartment [firewall omitted for clarity].

DSCF02372.jpg

So first go buy these parts:-

2 each Gates 18423 half inch preformed hoses, no they don't fit without modification

2 each "Watts" half inch hose barbs A-380-LF Home Depot in the garden hose area.

2 each "Orbit" five eighths Repair Pro Mender part number 27945-11rC, again Home Depot stocking number 258 584

DSCF0238.jpg

Cut the Gates hoses just beyond the short right angle bend, one inch did me fine. Splice the uncut ends with a half inch hose mender for the long hose. Splice the short cut end to the uncut end of the long piece for the upper short hose. Force a five eights Pro Mender into the longer end of the just formed hose, I know 5/8 into 1/2? It will go, lube with a drop of antifreeze if it makes you feel better .

DSCF0240.jpg

Now go skin your knuckles attaching them to the firewall half inch fittings!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the final connection a five eights to half inch adapter barb would have been perfect, but I could only find five eighths to three quarter. That's why I had to jam the five eighths into the half inch hose end. Also, I tried a cut off section of half inch copper pipe for the intermediate connection [sharp eyes will see one in the second photo] but hose tension kept squeezing them out of "battery", so I went with the barbed connectors.