'71 521 Fuse box help

Blknight692

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do I start with this mess? Seriously? Right now I do not have any major issues, but this looks horrible!

090910182107.jpg

Damn! Seriously? P.O. must have been an Electrical Engineer...

I would start with a wiring diagram. Any of the points where two wires feed a circuit (...the small jumper wires...I can't stare at this thing too long without panic...) should use a solid ribbon of copper or brass. Wire and connector can give cause for failure later. Use round end eye connectors instead of the ones there - better connection for sure. Give yourself plenty of wire and room to work with, and for the love of all things holy, wrap it with electrical tape or split wire loom material to neaten the whole thing up.

The external wiring and color coding looks original but that's not the factory fuse block. The PO apparently attempted to replace the original fuse block internal bus bars with those external jumpers so it look like a bad job. No provision that I can see for the cover either. My guess was that the original fuse box shorted from a water leak [see the copious amounts of spray foam surrounding the coil]. By the way, I am an electrical engineer and no EE would leave a rewiring job looking that bad! You dress the cabled wires into neat bundles. I grant you permission to use tie wrap!

post in the wanted section for a 521 fuse box. the jumper wires are there cause the box you have the fuses are seperated. on the original fuse box underneath 3 fuses on one left side and 2 on the right are connected.or vise versa. the new boxes on ebay are 3 on the left and 3 on the right connected underneath. i checked ebay and dont see any right now. his user name is ukstar or holee i forget.

i'll get you some pics of the proper wire placement.

download the manual here.

http://www.olddatsuns.com/620tech.htm

• 2 weeks later...