Best year for the Fairlady?

mellotrongirl

Simple question that may provoke some detailed replies...what is the preferred year for the Fairlady? What year was the peak year for performance, style, reliability, etc.?

I equate this to the Triumph TR-6 sports car. In the six or so years they were available, it appeared that the most collectable and preferred year was 1973. That was the year the engine was modified, and the frame and suspension upgraded.

Also, is there one year or subclassification/model that is super rare? And what is the most common?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well the 67.5 is the rarest but as for the most common that is a hard call. I'd say they all was super reliable it just depends on what you want with the car for the low windshield you'd go with a pre 68 model if you wanted a taller windshield then 68-70, the pre 68's had a flat dash as the post 68's had a padded vinyl dash.

http://datsun.org/ has pretty extensive info on changes per year to year. I'd say with the roadster crowd it just depends on the person on which year that they want as some are happy with stock drum brakes all around or some want disc.

Hey Mello,

Look at 311s.org and you will get everything you ever wanted to know and more about the Lady's! A 67.5 2000 is the holy grail. There is a real nice 69 2000 for sale in The Dalles right now for 4K. If I wasn't already working on my 2000, this one would already be in my driveway. 68-70's have the taller wind shields and also have a better steering box set up. The low windshield cars have the flat dashes with cooler gauges. I like the side markers on the 69's and will set up my SR car with those. It is all just personal preference for the most part.

The one in The Dalles is a beaut! And the Seattle find I'm sure someone will give it a second life in no time. Both will probably go by the end of the weekend! And I'll be going through The Dalles next week, but am at the mercy of carpooling...

Thanks for the input & links...curious for now--got to get a '71 521 running, a converted '79 620 EV back home and a '78 longbed upgraded before I think of another ride I'm afraid...

No right answer to this one, but the love for the '67 2000 seems to be the most common I have heard. For my money, (which is more than I care to think about having poured into the two Roadsters on hand) there are two winners:

The 1968 1600, because the high windshield and padded dash got the car out of it's dated "Britishness".

Also because the 1600's exhibit what I feel is a very good balance of handling/ride/braking in relation to the amount of (stock) power on hand. 96 HP just feels right with the stock suspension, tires and brakes.

Then too, the 1969 2000 is the "it" car for me because of the much greater power and the super-cool side-marker lamps. (I like those so much, I put a set on my "68 1600, which had no side lamps). I know: the rectangular side-markers on the '70 cars were the same as many other Datsuns of that day. They just look "clunky" to me...

One final note: I have many times remarked that I believe one reason so many Roadsters met an early demise was because they were so sweet-running and reliable. People just drove the hell out of them and they slowly reached a state where the cost of repairs outweighed the idea of reviving them. Then too, I'm betting quite a few 2000's were crashed because they had more power than the suspension and brakes (see above opinion) could handle without a really good driver at the wheel.

Again, just my ideas. I am lucky enough to have a stock 1600 and am restoring a 2000, so we'll see if my theories hold up in the long run...

• 1 month later...

No right answer to this one, but the love for the '67 2000 seems to be the most common I have heard. For my money, (which is more than I care to think about having poured into the two Roadsters on hand) there are two winners:

The 1968 1600, because the high windshield and padded dash got the car out of it's dated "Britishness".

Also because the 1600's exhibit what I feel is a very good balance of handling/ride/braking in relation to the amount of (stock) power on hand. 96 HP just feels right with the stock suspension, tires and brakes.

Then too, the 1969 2000 is the "it" car for me because of the much greater power and the super-cool side-marker lamps. (I like those so much, I put a set on my "68 1600, which had no side lamps). I know: the rectangular side-markers on the '70 cars were the same as many other Datsuns of that day. They just look "clunky" to me...

One final note: I have many times remarked that I believe one reason so many Roadsters met an early demise was because they were so sweet-running and reliable. People just drove the hell out of them and they slowly reached a state where the cost of repairs outweighed the idea of reviving them. Then too, I'm betting quite a few 2000's were crashed because they had more power than the suspension and brakes (see above opinion) could handle without a really good driver at the wheel.

Again, just my ideas. I am lucky enough to have a stock 1600 and am restoring a 2000, so we'll see if my theories hold up in the long run...

• 2 weeks later...

My uncle owned Roadsters all over the map, and he always had a pretty soft spot for the '70 2000s.

They were made side by side with the Z-cars, he would say, they had slightly more modern tech in their headlight and high amperage wiring (I think there was a relay difference or something) They used the side markers and door handles like the Z so they are more readily available nowadays...

But there is no ONE "year to get" a Fair Lady. Each model,in each year, was it's own little girl, and you have to decide which one you want. Low windshields and flat panel dashboards get my engine revving, but so does that under-engineered OHC 2 liter, so 67.5 2000 is my kinda beast, but those are as rare as dragon droppings these days so it isn't like I'm going to turn my head from the 67 1600 or the 69 2000 in the garage....

• 4 weeks later...

I would have to say the rarest would have to be the 1958 S211 with only 20 made

http://www.earlydatsun.com/datsuns211.html

The most powerful would be the SR311 with the 150hp U20 engine

My favourite would have to be the 63-64 SP310, I have owned 4 of these and still own my first one.

http://www.ozdat.com/forum/download/file.php?id=16502&mode=view