The 520!

sycloned916

hahahahahhahahahaha.. lynch strikes again!

dude this is one of like 3 threads im subscribed to.. i really dont come on here very often... but i keep a close eye on this thread an always checkin to see who said what ect..

it would be a shame for you to sell this truck, you have alot of hard work into it that unforunately no one cares about as much as you an well maybe a hand full of us here..

Glad to see your keeping it an that i could help :)

Ya I don't think I would every sell my truck, I was just in the heat of the moment and Piss'd as Hell with it not running the way I want it. But now it runs like a Top.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dude this truck is like the truck god would build if he had a 520 haha

this really inspired me to try to get my grnapa's 520 and rebuild it but he tells me its to dangerous an unsafe for a 17 yr old

do u guys have any tips or words of advise for me so i can tell my gramps parts arnt to hard and it is safe?

• Like 1

dude this truck is like the truck god would build if he had a 520 haha

this really inspired me to try to get my grnapa's 520 and rebuild it but he tells me its to dangerous an unsafe for a 17 yr old

do u guys have any tips or words of advise for me so i can tell my gramps parts arnt to hard and it is safe?

I think the 520 is a safe truck, I took a hit from a full size GMC truck and walked away a year ago tommorow. Its not safe for other drivers when i drive my truck now everyone wants to talk to me and just look at my truck. I wouldn't drive anything else.

dude thnks i rlly wanna get into the datsun world and after seeing ur 520 i knew i wanted to rebuild my gramp's not like urs cuz im not that skilled but make it my own u kno, ty ill tell my gramps what u said

if i do get it would 3k b a good amount of money to start with to upgrade the 520

• Like 1

dude thnks i rlly wanna get into the datsun world and after seeing ur 520 i knew i wanted to rebuild my gramp's not like urs cuz im not that skilled but make it my own u kno, ty ill tell my gramps what u said

if i do get it would 3k b a good amount of money to start with to upgrade the 520

The first thing I would do is disc brakes up front,driving's fun but if you cant stop your in trouble. 3k is plenty to start just get it reliable and go from there. My first 520 when i got it had alot of problems i was always getting stuck on the side of the road. A weekend i got that j motor running like a top and it never stopped running,took it mudding and off-roading with no problems. Good luck man.

so w hen i get the truck what brakes shuld i swap for the orig brakes and disc's and springs

Ebay has some brackets for the wilwood's or here you can get them. And toss the drums in the river when you swap them.

Was looking under my truck the other day and saw my front shock (shaft) came undone from the top mount,I was riding on spring on the pass side. I took them off and the threads were fine just chased them and put some red lock-tite on them. They still ride like shit QA1's I dont recommend them, I'm gonna have a set built soon for my truck by a local shop to get a better ride and be able to drop it more. Stay away from QA1's is what I'm saying!

Looks like you have hardly any travel. Do you have bump stops? Are the shocks within their optimal travel range and valving for the spring rate you're using? It's easy to blame the shocks, but you could have the best shocks in the world and they'd be crap if not setup correctly for your vehicle or used in the wrong configuration.

Hey when you get a set made please post all the details and maybe a price if you don't mind. I am still planing on running the qa1's on my truck but if your having problems I will have to try something else.

Hey when you get a set made please post all the details and maybe a price if you don't mind. I am still planing on running the qa1's on my truck but if your having problems I will have to try something else.

Will do. I took my buddy for a ride and then drove in his car with strange coil overs night and day. The shop he goes to told him there a good shock but they are noisey and make your truck raddle. With the strange the firm is super firm. And for the custom shock I'm going to try to stop by and talk to them next week and see whats up.

Looks like you have hardly any travel. Do you have bump stops? Are the shocks within their optimal travel range and valving for the spring rate you're using? It's easy to blame the shocks, but you could have the best shocks in the world and they'd be crap if not setup correctly for your vehicle or used in the wrong configuration.

I set them up like qa1 said to put them. I do have bump stops and the rate is 450lbs for the front,its just the front shocks dont really have alot of travel to begin with. I would guess I have about 3-4in of travel I'll check later. But on the freeway at high speeds they feel Nice, its just these jacked-up roads here.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Love the build..gots some questions???..how thick is the door panels, i love them...what did you use for the door sill plates?? and where did you get your carpet from???thank you!!!

Love the build..gots some questions???..how thick is the door panels, i love them...what did you use for the door sill plates?? and where did you get your carpet from???thank you!!!

Thanks. The door panels are about 1/8in thick very britle,I cracked one(Can't tell) trying to drill a hole in it,my fault. I get the sills to my buddy here with a 520. I got the carpet from Homedepot its good stuff and I used a steamer to shape it.

thats awesome 1/8 will work perfectly and thanks for heads up on being brittle...i would want door sills too, send a link to your buddy if u dont mind...and i am off to homedepot this weekend!!!...but never steamed carpet before, will have to google how to???

thanks again, love the truck!!!

Thanks. The door panels are about 1/8in thick very britle,I cracked one(Can't tell) trying to drill a hole in it,my fault. I get the sills to my buddy here with a 520. I got the carpet from Homedepot its good stuff and I used a steamer to shape it.

can you explain this steaming process?

can you explain this steaming process?

This is the steamer I have, I've used it in my first 520,my 510 I had and my current 520. You first rough cut the carpet so it will fit inside,start at the center so the lines look straight and work your way out. Use the steamer on the curves/humps and anywhere else the carpet will not sit right,It takes afew passes of the steamer to make it do what you want it to do and for the sharper seams I just beat it like a hammer in place to get it tight. The steam makes the carpet really soft but when it cools it will get stiff. Hope that helps.

31g-j2q4wFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Been out for abit doing work on the 1968 520. Here's it now as it sits being peiced together with some nice goodies. So far it's a roller now, getting the brake lines ran to the disc at all four corners, I have a proportioning valve mounted under the dash with my pedals. And have alot of parts that are being made for it. Still have aways to go but my deadline is the same time as my last build somewhere in Oct. it will be running.

Datsun52051.jpg

Datsun52055.jpg

Datsun52048.jpg

Datsun520184.jpg

Datsun52060.jpgDatsun520192.jpg

Datsun520183.jpg

Datsun52070.jpg

Nice work.I like you suspension.