Feng Shui (The 510 Experiment) (Pics fixed through page 7..)

Josh K.

Needed to mount the oil filter relocation base. Where I had it before interfered with the sway bar. Put the sway bar in and found two existing threaded holes with the perfect spacing. Made a spacer and mounted up.

IMG_20150707_183403_zpsuerr9fbk.jpg

IMG_20150707_183412_zpsongafkgc.jpg

Fram was for mockup...

Didn't like the angle of the hoses so I cut the bracket off and once the motor is back in I'll hook up the hoses, find the best angle and then tig weld it back together....

IMG_20150707_185320_zpsnpcoxxg8.jpg

IMG_20150707_185245_zpsuteng08i.jpg

The real filter. Sorry for dark pic.

IMG_20150707_190739_zpsvig9tpai.jpg

• Like 4
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All I have left in the engine compartment is running the front brakes which will be underneath anyways. I now need to fill a bunch of holes so might as well start clean....

Got the first stage of stripping the firewall done. Hopefully second stage tomorrow removing the bondo and left over paint.

One step at a time!

IMG_20150711_093411_zps6sx93fjf.jpg

IMG_20150711_093420_zpsnfjmnqe3.jpg

IMG_20150711_104610_zpswivtortp.jpg

IMG_20150711_104632_zpsfupjwrpa.jpg

IMG_20150711_104618_zps2c1y1mnf.jpg

IMG_20150711_104645_zps8apqbvqq.jpg

• Like 5

It's getting there! I'm at about the same place you are engine-bay wise. How are you going to prep the surface before yo u prime? Cheers!

Honestly I'm not sure. Haven't gotten that far.... Right now I have more time then money so I'm focusing on the labor side. I'll be getting help from a skilled autobody guy before proceeding and post what I use.

You've done more work to your car in the last month than I've done to mine in the last year. :lol: keep it up man!

That's probably not saying much? ;)

May have missed something, but why the big hole where the wiper hole used to be? Did it rust out, or did you cut it for something?

At first I was like "wtf is he talking about"?

Then I seen it :)

That's where the power shut off switch was from the GT3 days.

I am impressed with result on the right front clip.  Thats an area a lot of guys woulda just covered over again.  Seeing the paint completely stripped from the engine bay shows how much better it will be.  I'm glad, and consider myself lucky, that my 510 has never had body damage like that, or rust.  I love the V-dub flares you did, I found your build google searching steel BRE flares.  I wish someone stamped replicas of the BRE's in steel. Are you deleting the heater-core on the firewall and going for the super clean look? It seems really clean and your engine set-up seemed to fit pretty well without cutting it. 

• Like 1

Nope. Keeping the heater. Gotta have one in Washington or you'll have fogged up windows a lot of the time....

Only cutting I'm doing tis to replace sections where there's lot's of holes. Much cleaner then trying to patch and fill them all.

Metal flares FTMFW!

• Like 2

Didn't get much done today.

The bulkhead connector I'm going to use bolts from the front for some reason. This means you would either have to solder in place or the plugs on the other end would have to be small enough to pull through the hole that it mounts through. Not sure why it's designed that way....

So I drilled an tapped the mounting holes and will make a cover plate for the front, same as the vacuum bulkhead block I made.

IMG_20150719_104648_zpsljbwuga8.jpg

7-19-2015%2010-53-47%20AM_zpslohvgv5n.jp

• Like 3

I got a little more motivation. Not enough to get dirty though....

Just stripped some more stuff. Decided I'm going to cut out the seat mounts and redo them. I'm also going to cutout the shifter area and redo it. Both jobs look like shit as they were early on in the build. I need to fix the mistakes of the past ;)

IMG_20150719_121653_zpseuzogfmp.jpg

IMG_20150719_121711_zpsltyassog.jpg

IMG_20150719_121703_zpsh2ztzldu.jpg

• Like 4
  • Josh K. changed the title to Feng Shui (The 510 Experiment) (Pics fixed through page 7..)