Feng Shui (The 510 Experiment) (Pics fixed through page 7..)

Josh K.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pretty amazing stuff mate,

On a side note, would it be possible to machine alloy headlight buckets ( both the buckets and the base) you can't find these anywhere these days , would the price make them not worth the excercise?

Too costly. I'm sure they'll repop soon.

Went to the shop and got my welder setup and the car cleaned out. Gotta do finish work in the engine bay, bottom side of the tranny tunnel and floor boards. Just plugging holes and cleaning up before I throw some por15 down.

IMG_20150610_174556_zpsf6yu7afc.jpg

IMG_20150610_174602_zpsjd3nmi3p.jpg

• Like 2

I decided I need a good plan since I've put off finishing a lot of stuff along the way.

I'm going to start at the front and work my way back and finish all Welding and fabrication as I go.

Starting with the core support. Need to finish the radiator opening, weld in threaded plugs for the lower radiator isolators and finish Welding and gusseting the lower core support where it attaches to the frame rails. Then remove battery tray bump and finish passenger upper outside rail where I had to straighten it. Just need to weld some caps on...

That gets me to the strut towers. Lots of work to do. Just gotta buckle down and power through.

• Like 1

You got this mate!

I'll be following your progress on here!

I'll be over in the states from the 26th of June till the 23rd of July mostly around LA ,

Is there any good Datsun places worth checking out?

I'll be over in the states from the 26th of June till the 23rd of July mostly around LA ,

Is there any good Datsun places worth checking out?

I would post in the general forum. Lots of Californian's in there. Me I'm way up north. A stones throw from Canada.

Nice work as usual. Just an FYI. When I built my KA 510 I put the rad nice and low like you did, but had real issues bleeding the cooling system. I then moved the rad as high as possible and it worked much better.

Nice work as usual. Just an FYI. When I built my KA 510 I put the rad nice and low like you did, but had real issues bleeding the cooling system. I then moved the rad as high as possible and it worked much better.

Easiest way to overcome this kind of problem is to park the car so the radiator becomes the highest point while bleeding the system. Park it on ramps, put it on jack stands or whatever.

• Like 3

Ok, I spent the last few days with all my extra time reading through your build.  Badass!  Your build and what you have done is inspiring to say the least, can't wait to see whats next.  Hopefully you will still have time with the baby around.  I know I pretty much neglected my project once my kids were born.  BUT, I am getting back on it.  I am really impressed at how much sheet metal you have bravely cut out of your car and replaced with accuracy.  Of course all the custom milled parts are amazing as well.  I look forward to seeing this car in person someday.  Good luck with balancing your situation and great job on the 510.

• Like 1

Thanks ;)

My girl is kinda supportive. I think she knows I'll loose my mind if I don't get time to work on the project. It's much appreciated but of course I help as much as possible with the kiddo also. It's a give and take for sure.

I started fitting the valance. I wish I could've gotten a thinner core but this one was the best all around compromise. 

I rework the front lip closest where it would touch the face of the intercooler and cut some slits so I could pull it out. Had to shave off quite a bit. The lower grill mounts will need spacers also.

IMG_20150618_185047_zpslyix8rls.jpg

Easiest way to overcome this kind of problem is to park the car so the radiator becomes the highest point while bleeding the system. Park it on ramps, put it on jack stands or whatever.

Boy don't I know it. I worked at a Nissan dealer in the 90's and 2000's the Quest was a royal pain to bleed. We basically stood it on it's back bumper to get it high enough.

Not fun... This is why I try to minimize these kind of issues.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a plan for this problem...... ;)

Got to go to the shop first thing in the am. Have to tackle all the stuff I've been putting off. If your gonna grind and weld you have to commit. No sense it getting all dirty for 30min of work. Radiator core support is done minus some broken bolts and small holes. Driver side inner fender and strut tower is done. Had to do some crash repair.. On to the passenger side. It needs a little more loving then the driver side. It was hit pretty hard sometime in its life ;)

IMG_20150704_101512_zpstqyobijn.jpg

IMG_20150704_101519_zpsdk98fncb.jpg

IMG_20150704_101544_zps3onoetgi.jpg

• Like 2

The sheet metal has been bent, torched, hammered, brazed soooo many times in the passenger corner.. It was a bitch but I got it best I could. Finished the upper rails, filled the hole in the inner fender well and removed the battery tray pocket.

IMG_20150705_142606_zpslywopaz8.jpg

IMG_20150705_142230_zpsophm068o.jpg

Hood gap still looks good..... Was a mess before...

IMG_20150705_142250_zps4fwoos7g.jpg

IMG_20150705_142258_zpspcdca52w.jpg

Hole filled. Looks scary in the pic because the dark primer and shadows. Its definitely ugly though. You can see some braze from the last repair in this area.

IMG_20150705_142749_zpsc1gwrqrk.jpg

Tray removed.

What a mess. Gonna need some filler in this corner. Oh well. Battle scars ;)

IMG_20150705_152036_zpsufsqavzi.jpg

IMG_20150705_152044_zpse7w44jnf.jpg

IMG_20150705_152054_zps0ocomzst.jpg

• Like 3

It's coming along!

Slowly but surely  ;)

You are such a beast!!!  Thanks again for making me feel like a lazy clod!!!  LOL! :)

Trust me I gotta force myself sometimes :)

How much longer till I can go for a ride? :)

You mean drive it? Spring 2016?

• Josh K. changed the title to Feng Shui (The 510 Experiment) (Pics fixed through page 7..)