My '76 710 Goon

datzenmike

I should have washed my truck for that oic! :lol:

Tires are mint hey! I was going to run them on the 620 this summer but I figured if I gave you the rims with no tires they may never get used? There plug and play you cant go wrong!

I think I may run your old motor in my truck as I want the u67 head and offy intake in the 510!

Maybe run those rims on the goon?

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll try them for sure. I would prefer the 200sx mags that are now on the sedan but Mrs d 'took' em. Yes those tires are so nice and yes they will be on the goon.

My son came over yesterday with his battery saws all and we made quick work of the lower spring mounts on the Maxima struts. Less than a min each. The gland nut has to come off before I can slide them off.

Trimmed just above the weld...

76goonstruts001Large.jpg

Separated...

76goonstruts002Large.jpg

I have to remove the caliper/rotor and hub then remove the gland nut and disassemble the strut 'guts'. Not sure if it has a replaceable cartridge or can be fully taken apart. If it comes apart I may try a different viscosity motorcycle fork oil to increase the damping effect.

The strut tube will then have the weld ground off and coil overs fitted. I got a whole set front and rears (thanks lou for the tip) locally for the sedan but they will now be going on the goon fronts.

710parts026Large.jpg

76goonstrutsLarge.jpg

Two are 400P and two are 500P... WTF does 400P mean?

Worked out the stock 710 front strut spring rates.... 104 lbs. The Maxima goon's were 145 lbs. Does this sound like a ballpark figure?

Since the two pair of coil overs are 435 and 512 lbs does this sound normal to increase the rate by 4 or 5 times?????????? Need help here. What would be an average spring rate increase when changing to coil overs???

Personaly I would try the 400p's. I mean you already have them right? They will still have give its not like they won't budge. Your not planning on bombing any gravel rd's are you? If they are nice and stiff then your body roll will be at a min. I cant remember if your going with shorter inserts or not? I have a set of mint zx inserts you can have if you want?

Rich

Personaly I would try the 400p's. I mean you already have them right? They will still have give its not like they won't budge. Your not planning on bombing any gravel rd's are you? If they are nice and stiff then your body roll will be at a min. I cant remember if your going with shorter inserts or not? I have a set of mint zx inserts you can have if you want?

Rich

They're Maxima struts. I think you saw them... maybe 1.5" shorter than the 710 ones. I cut the 710 coil down to the same length as the stock Maxima. By calculation they are at 150 lb right now.

Hey rich how long are the zx struts?

280zx or 300zx.??

They're Maxima struts. I think you saw them... maybe 1.5" shorter than the 710 ones. I cut the 710 coil down to the same length as the stock Maxima. By calculation they are at 150 lb right now.

Hey rich how long are the zx struts?

280zx or 300zx.??

There 79 280zx struts

I don't know what length they are off hand?

I will be removing them from the car sunday so I will take some measurments then.

Hey Mike I just remover the struts and inserts. The strut tubes are edzacary 16" and the inserts are 15". The inserts look like oem replacements. They are in mint shape! They look like they are fresh out the box! The part # is ck17mc1c I would have taken some oics but I cant find my sd card? I will be headed down to Courtney next Saturday to pick up my new bike so I could drop them off then?

Rich

• 1 month later...

Wow the weather is so nice I'm outside with only T shirt. Have cut the bottom spring mounts off my 710 struts. The plan is to use the Maxima strut with a shortened 710 spring. I cut it down to the same length as the Maxima one. I'll slip the 710 lower spring mount on the Maxima strut to hold the different diameter 710 spring. I still have to source those 2" split clamps. Clamp the strut then the bottom spring mount, spring and the rest of the top hat from the 710. It will be adjustable after a fashion but not near as easy as coil overs.

strutmods004Large.jpg

strutmods003Large.jpg

Remove gland nut so the lower spring mount will slip over and off...

strutmods007Large2.jpg

... when you tap it loose with a hammer.

strutmods005Large.jpg

strutmods006Large.jpg

Here is the Maxima strut, 710lower mount, shortened 710 spring and top hat.

strutmods008Large2.jpg

Surprisingly the '84 struts did not have insert cartridges but the oil bath dampers like the 510. My plan is to substitute 15 or 20 weight motor cycle fork oil to replace the watery 5 weight that is in it. This should improve the stiffness. Ive heard that hydraulic jack oil (15W) and ATF also works. Motorcycle fork oil comes in a wide variety of weights and is high in anti foam additives.

Surprisingly the '84 struts did not have insert cartridges but the oil bath dampers like the 510. My plan is to substitute 15 or 20 weight motor cycle fork oil to replace the watery 5 weight that is in it. This should improve the stiffness. Ive heard that hydraulic jack oil (15W) and ATF also works. Motorcycle fork oil comes in a wide variety of weights and is high in anti foam additives.

Or you could use the mint inserts from my 280zx? free! LOL! There brand new!

Well, last week I had a day off and decided to get the rear end up so I could get at the springs and get a handle on lowering it. The car tipped sideways off the front stands and came to rest against the neighbor's chain link fence. I see where I went wrong with this. I had to borrow a come along and winch it sideways to the middle of the driveway. Because there were no struts on the front, it was flat on the ground and was a bitch getting it back up. But live and learn, I blocked it up with large wooden cribs this time. Don't worry, I hadn't been under it and wouldn't have been under it like that, it was only up like that so I could get the struts off. Years ago I had a bumper jack fail and had a car fall on and pin me under it. Took six guys to lift it up so I could crawl out. The only thing that saved me was at the last minute I kicked a couple of chev rims under the bumper. The rear axle was out and without those rims I would have been pancaked.

The good news is there isn't a scratch from the fence. It's in sad shape to begin with and I still had my car cover on. The back is now up and supported with blocks and stands. I have one set of U bolts off and the spring separated so I can build a block to fit in there. The plan is to make the blocks out of 2" square 1/4" thick aluminum tubing. Have to get new U bolts that are 2" longer.

I hear ya, and noted. I will pay extra attention and inspect them often. If they look iffy I just slip steel ones in later, but I expect them to be fine.

Got one of the few things I can't make for my struts and that's this:

strutmods010Large.jpg

It will clamp on the Maxima strut and support the bottom 710 spring mount. It can be loosened and slid up or down to get the correct ride height. Not glamorous I admit but only $20 so far. BTW.. they will support 6,600 lbs when tightened on.

I calculated the stock 710 spring rate @104 lbs. I removed 1 1/2 coils to equal the reduced height of the stock Maxima springs, and the 710 springs are now rated at 150 lbs. So basically a shorter stiffer 710 spring on the shorter Maxima struts.

strutmods010Large.jpg

As long as you keep those clamps above the height of the tire, otherwise rub-a-dub rub...

I got a set with the intent of doing the same thing, except with coilovers. mine rub the tire like crazy. I ended up getting some 2 inch ID pipe, and will cut some 1 inch "spacers" out of it to adjust the height.

Oh yeah..... the tires. Well, I intend to get the motorcycle fork oil this weekend. I'm trying 20W to stiffen the damping. I'll try to get them together and on the car and on the ground. Then I can see what needs to be 'adjusted'.

Well I have taken the struts apart and emptied out the old thin damper oil, 5W I believe. Replaced with 20W Belray motorcycle fork oil to firm up the action. I finished cutting the 710 spring down to the same (unloaded) height as the Maxima spring that was on there. I'm using the 710 top and bottom coil mounts so it will fit the car. The Maxima ones are way too wide.

Here's the strut on the car. Caliper is off atm....

strutmods004Large.jpg

Have to remove the hub and clean the rotor and grease and check the bearings. Figured it would be easier on the car.

strutmods005Large.jpg

With one rim and tire on. Hummmm.... don't think it going to tuck in there....

strutmods001Large.jpg

OK KIDS!!!

While I have the car up I want to put my 280z 5 speed in that I had behind my L20B in the truck. I took it out a few years ago when I swapped in the Z24 and the 200sx 5 speed. I gave this a lot of thought and research and now I've taken the first steps. The 710 4 speed is a shorty similar to the 510 4 speed. The 710 automatic is a long tranny. I have taken the 4 speed and the auto drive shafts from the goons I have, layed them on my sidewalk and measured them. If the automatic is the same length as the FS5W71B 5 speed, as I suspect they are, I should be able to install the 5 speed and use the shorter auto drive shaft.

The shorty F4W63 is 26.3" long. The FS5W71B 280z 5 speed is 31.5" for a difference of 5.2". And the difference in drive shafts is.....

710driveshaft001Large.jpg

710driveshaft003Large.jpg

...13cm or 5.122". We have a winner!!!

Another thing I noticed was the sloppy spraying of undercoat material on both cars. The drive shafts were covered with it...

710driveshaft004Large.jpg

I drained the 4 speed so it won't be so messy when I take it out. The oil was absolutely clean and clear. If the weather is reasonable tomorrow I will pull the 4 speed and prepare the 5 speed and maybe get it up and bolted in so I can get to work on the rear mount and shift hole.

Eventually I want a ZX with the big OD in it. This is to offset the 4.11s I also plan to put in the back.

Tranny out. The clutch was replaced in '08 so found a broken stud on the rear rubber mount and a couple of less than tight bolts. The starter was in with nuts and bolts instead of just bolts? Well maybe the original oneas were lost or this is normal. Speedo is on the driver's side so this is identical to the 510 4 speed. Drained the oil yesterday and was like new motor oil in the can. The last time I had one of these out was in the late 70s from my 521.

7104spdremoval006Large.jpg

As expected the PP is spotless and new looking, release bearing smooth turning and new. 5 speed can go right on.

7104spdremoval012Large.jpg

Must pull my 280z 5 speed out of the pile and inspect it.