710/610 Power Steering

datzenmike

Because of the similarities I'm grouping the 610 and 710 together in this investigation and possible future project. If it will work on the 710 it will work on the 610 and probably the PL510/A-10 as well without resorting to custom R&P.

I know most Datsuns are very light and steering isn't too much bother even for the ladies. (no offense) However, if you are used to most newer cars that have p/s you will notice an increased effort driving one that does not. Datsun never had a power assisted steering system for these cars. Today we can look beyond p/s as a mere luxury and see it as an integral part of the safety equipment like seat belts. After all, avoiding an accident is better than an accident, and anything that gets the front end moving over into the other lane both faster and easier seems like a step in the right direction.

I have an S110 parts car that came with the Z20E motor and the p/s option. As far as cars go it is perhaps slightly larger and heavier than the 610/710 but not much. I have used a similar p/s box from a 280zx on my 620 and the steering response was dramatic on a truck that weighs 3,400 lb and with 33X15X12.5 tires. As with the 620 the only thing that changed was the steering box so all steering components and geometry stayed the same. All that was added was ape strength to turn the front wheels.

So today I went up and removed the front cross member with LCAs, front sway bar, all steering rod ends, cross rod, idler arm, and the power steering box, lines and pump. It helped that the motor was previously removed, a Z20E. Now other than the head the Z20 is basically an L20B so the pump should bolt on to where the L20B fuel pump is and I'll just swap my electric pump in.

Here's the front end stuff. S-110 or second gen 200sx Some parts may even fit the 710?

S-110frontendPsteering001Large.jpg

Check out the idler arm has a plug for a grease fitting so it can be greased. I don't remember greasing this on my 710 so will check.

S-110frontendPsteering006Large.jpg

200sx p/s box with stock 710 manual steering box below. Had hoped they would be closer but.... The input spline/pinch bolt on the steering column is larger on the 200sx so will remove it from the car for parts. The 710 column will need to be shortened for sure. The two mounting bolt holes on the right and top one on the left may line up. Will check this tomorrow. Also the pitman arms are close in size and shape so I may remove bothe and if the sector shaft splines are the same I'll swap so that it's exactly the same.

S-110frontendPsteering002Large-1.jpg

S-110frontendPsteering004Large.jpg

Here's the p/s box with hard and flex lines going to the pump. The pump will mount generally on the two fuel pump studs on the L head. The only thing missing is the fluid reservoir which mounts on the fender. I have several p/s pumps with integral reservoir (like a chevy) from 720 Z motors. I may opt to use one of them instead for a cleaner uncluttered look.

S-110frontendPsteering005Large.jpg

The integral pump/reservoir look like this:

motorpspump200sxZ20EZ24Large.jpg

So much for to-day.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I think so, specially the tubes to keep from squashing the frame. Perhaps a plate on the outside would work to spread the force too?

I'm going to measure the distance across the front of the 710 and S110 sway bars and hold one up against the other to try and match them. I'll get a better thickness measurement too.

I have a Sundance and the bar from the turbo fits and is thicker. Got for $10 and really firmed up the turns on it.