1200 brake upgrade mklotz70

mklotz70

I was going to use a  Supra 2JZ, but with the twin turbo, weighs in at over 500 lbs. I am planning on using a mild alloy head SBF with a C4. The 2JZ is also very expensive to do---more than I want to spend. The CA18 sounds like it would be a good setup, and would only add just under a 100 lbs to your front end.You could help offset the additional weight by moving your battery to the trunk, and using an aluminum radiator.

Already have the aluminum radiator. I also have a 2JZ stuffed in a SC300, need to do a trans swap, and put my 6 speed limited diff in at the same time, I couldn't imagine that engine in a car as light as a 1200, it's scary fast in the heavy Lexus! That is why I'm putting the higher geared limited slip in, way too squirrely now!

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Already have the aluminum radiator. I also have a 2JZ stuffed in a SC300, need to do a trans swap, and put my 6 speed limited diff in at the same time, I couldn't imagine that engine in a car as light as a 1200, it's scary fast in the heavy Lexus! That is why I'm putting the higher geared limited slip in, way too squirrely now!

I hear ya, the little 3.0 acts like an 8.0 when the turbos kick in!!! I had the swap all planned, mock-up TH350 trans with adapter to the 2JZ. I looked at the big picture and said "uh uh". I've got the frame connectors welded in to stiffen the little unibody, and a rear end housing & axles ready to be shortened. By the way, I know a guy that stuffed a single turbo 2JZ & Toyota automatic into an MGB-GT. Major fun, major $$$$$, and not that much traction, but definitely a conversation piece!!!

Ford 9 inch?  If I do the CA18, I was thinking about a Ford 8 inch, figured light car, and same lug pattern, would work well.

I am using a big axle bearing, big tube 8". Lots of folks use the 9" on everything. It is overkill unless you have lots of torque. I think that the 8" would be more than enough for the CA18, with ratios available from 2.79, all the way up into the 5's. They are very easy to find (at least in my neck of the woods). Drum brakes are standard on most, and there are some factory rear discs that can be adapted. Hot Rod Magazine used an 8" in their "Bad Seed' Chevette project years ago, and had no problems with it behind a mild 500 inch Caddy V8. 

• 2 months later...

Just spent an hour reading the thread. Great work on the brake mod.

Is there any way to list all the parts and part numbers needed for the complete mod?

From reading through there was alot of part numbers and hard to keep track of. One concise list would be great. Just my opinion.

Are there kits still available?

• 9 months later...

Sentra 1982-86, CENTRIC Part # 14242047 both loaded and unloaded are available today at Rock Auto. This caliper has 48mm piston, which is the size to use on 1200 brake swap. It is the same size as the original factory size caliper piston. I would try Rock Auto again and stick with the Sentra front caliper listings.

Morrisun.......I'm not sure how many 1200 kits you have left......I think I'm down to about 5?

I just saw the post above about the longer studs.....I just did a vid for the 311's.....I would think they'd work on a 411 and a 1200 too.  I'm going to check them for the trucks when I get a chance.

Mike:

I have 7 1200 brake kits, maybe one or 2 stashed at the Datsun Garage.

The wheel studs on the 1200's 12mm x 1.25mm.

These are what I started using: Knurl is a bit larger, but almost no shoulder- just threads, $1.90ea and FREE shipping

G35 50mm LONG EXTENDED WHEEL LUG STUD INFINITI G35 10pc 12x1.25 K14.3 = 0.565 AD, from ebay.

Thanks. I just ordered some to have on hand for comparison.  I guess the difference is that the ones in the vid for the 411 and 311's are SAE, not metric. 

I'll send them your way if I run out.  When you get low, I guess I'll make more.

Mike:

Let's make the 1200 brake swap caliper a-- 1984 NISSAN PULSAR NX 1.6L, ONLY!!-- Pulsar didn't make a Diesel OR a Wagon, there are no "up to" or "after this date". If they wish to cross it to another year or model, like a Sentra- their on their own. Apparently we didn't think of someone using a Diesel or Station Wagon caliper on a datsun 1200 coupe or sedan-an oversight on our part!

• Like 1