Toyota Hub on a 521?

UNCIVLIZED1

What is involved with doing a hub conversion from a Toyota on a Datsun 521? I am currently having to put wheel bearings that are quite expensive on my 521 and was wondering if the swap was even possible. If it is what all do I need and what is the best way to do the rear to match? I am wanting to do this to have a disc brake setup in the front and would like to have the 5 lug setup to allow more wheel options in the future......Thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as far as I know, the toy hubs fit the harbody spindles...which you don't have. They won't fit the drum spindles. The inner bearing availability problem is the biggest downside to the disc mods that are being done now. You won't find inner bearings for the 521. The closest is the bearing for the '77 drum 620, but you'll have to change the spacer on the spindle. There's several disc threads with tons of info on the subject.....do some searches and some reading.....but the short answer to your question is that it won't work.....sorry.

So what would be the best way to convert my 521 to a front disc brake and a 5 lug swap?

From what I can see I should be able to convert to a hardbody spindle and then do a Toyota hub and caliper assembly....am I missing something somewhere along the way that makes this assumption incorrect???

There are quite a few different ways. Creativity is key. For mine, I fabricated upper and lower control arms from scratch and bolted hardbody spindles to them. Works well and i've been riding on them for almos two years now. You could probably do the same w/ Toy spindles too. The rear is another story that I haven't delv'd into yet.

~Brian

showphoto.php?photo=10988

That's why I asked about 720 spindles. I've modified my control arms for 720 spindles, being able to switch to toyota hubs makes my wheel and brake choices easier for upgrades.

First off, nice freaken welds! Second, why inboard the rear leaf?

~Brian

First off, nice freaken welds! Second, why inboard the rear leaf?

~Brian

Thanks (on the welds)

I moved the leafs inboard to lower the truck 4" without blocks. The leafs are moved inboard and up 4" from their original position, and I should have normal suspension travel and loading. I'm going to add a panhard bar or watts link before it's all done.

• 3 months later...