Southeast Texas King Cab

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As you can clearly see from the above post, I did some work on my truck finally. Sorry if you've lost interest because of my slow progress, but I'm gonna work on my laziness and see what happens.

On with the OICS.

How to make your Datsun able to mow a field.

IMG_20110708_195906.jpg

How to make your Datsun able to haul 20,000 lbs.

IMG_20110708_201837.jpg

I don't think I ever showed you guys this part. Built this connection months ago and just haven't updated my thread.

IMG_20110709_130721.jpg

IMG_20110709_130736.jpg

IMG_20110709_130709.jpg

So, for the very first time, I had serious help this weekend. First my parents came to help on Saturday. Had my mom cleaning out under the hood while my dad and I cleaned up the frame and got the front end bolted to it. Then we set cab on frame for the first time since I pulled the l20b out.

IMG_20110709_143700.jpg

Doesn't seem like that much work now, but that was Saturday, and I felt uber productive. Obviously I've left out some details, because they're boring, but we did alot of work that day. Problem was we did just enough work to have an immobilized vehicle in the middle of my workplace on blocks, and we had a job to start on Monday at 7 am that had a tight deadline. That meant that Sunday had a very specific goal. Get truck rolling and get it OUT of the shop.

Dad, aka Boss, came back to help me the first half of the day Sunday, and I kidnapped my friend Beau who is a member here with the witty screen name "Beau," and 1 post in the last month. Dad could only stay for the first half because he was BBQing for the family that day.... I missed the BBQ.

Knowing that the front end was gonna be a bastard, I came up with a simple and genious rig to hold up the rear end of the truck.

IMG_20110710_182807.jpg

IMG_20110710_182800.jpg

I'm considering patenting the Rhapakatui Tie Strap Coil Over Suspension. Meanwhile, I have company arriving so I will continue this update later. Most likely with no responses between this post and that because you've all stopped caring by now.

Wow, that is awesome. East Texas Engineering at it's best. Glad to see other people unafraid to let their torch do their talking.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

Ok. No pics. Lame update. But I'm bumping this thread.

I'm currently tearing into this Infiniti with a new found enthusiasm. I've got all of the wiring torn loose from under the hood, and I'm preparing to take out the dash so I can get at those wires.

I have been having fun dicking around with the goon, but it's time to get back to business.

Pics to come soon.

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

Still working on pulling the engine harness out of the Infiniti. Progress is slow. These cars were not designed to be taken apart. There is a ton of stuff crammed in very little space. Once it's out, I should have update pics coming at a much faster rate.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

NCM_0344_zpsajjgg2wv.jpg

Ok I think it's time to get back to work on this guy. I'm planning to bring it to Nismo Fiesta in May. I'd like to drive it while I'm there and not just roll it around.

Unfortunately for me, that means wiring. I've got the engine harness and ecu pulled out of the Infiniti. I had planned originally to use the factory harnesses for everything, but God Damnit there's a lot of wires in that thing. Are the can am boxes still available? If so, I need one and I'm gonna need major advice hooking it all up.

I also see a manual swap in the near future. It's got a fresh auto in it, but it just seems lame to build it up to drive with one foot. Luckily a u pull it just opened up nearby and they have a pathfinder there with my tranny in it.

• Like 2

Don't worry Charlie,  as soon as I get it on the road, there will be lots of fun had designing the various modular bed systems.  I'm going to start with a standard bed that has a self contained wiring harness for the lighting.  It will be routed through a 7point trailer style plug for easy switching out.

In the mean time,  I'm talking to Icehouse about the Can/am Box and studying the FSM.  I'm going to U-pullit tomorrow to see about a Manual Transmission. Hopefully this weekend I will order all of the things I need to get it wired up and start installing the fuel system.  Brake and clutch lines should follow soon after.  Those things are just a matter of buying what I need and tediously hooking it all up.   The wiring is the one that has me worried.

Wish me luck.

201402051022-me1711-tech_wire.jpg

• Like 6

Well this weekend looks like a total bust. I wasted Friday at the u pullit hoping for a transmission. Stayed out way too late Friday night and wasted Saturday sleeping/hungover/drinking more.

Somewhere in there, I found time to find a craigslist ad for a 300zx tranny in Houston. Today I got up and made the 2 hr drive just to have the seller not answering phone calls. I've been dicking around for 4 hrs trying to get in touch with the guy. About to eat some sushi and go home empty handed.

• Like 2

Sorry that guy was a Dickhead... I'm up in dfw with the freak, you want us to keep an eye out for anything specific?

I'm looking for a manual transmission swap for the vg30de. This guy has everything but the driveshaft at an awesome price. If he calls me back, I'll probably go get it still.

I was going to just leave the automatic in there but as I've gotten closer to that point of no return, I can't stand the idea of making it auto.

• Like 3

Well,  I talked to the guy.  He apparently busted his phone on Saturday, thus my not getting in touch with him on Sunday.  The exchange is back on.  Great deal.  I'm gonna try not to get overly excited until the parts are in my hands.

Meanwhile, I keep asking my wife if it's ok for me to spend some money on the truck.  She keeps asking how much.  I respond with a bunch of tech talk followed by I don't know.

She told me tonight that I need to go ahead and order the shit and not worry about it so much. 

With that, I'm on a mission to get all of the things I need to put this monstrosity on the road.

Things I know I need:

Dual MAF setup

Headlights

Inner Fenders

Can/Am box

Wiring Harness(es)

Signal lights

Mirrors

Steering wheel

Seats

Fuel lines

Brake lines

Drive Shaft

Correct front hubs

I'm sure there's more, but my wallet is crying.

I'm going back to shopping now.

• Like 5

Things I know I need:

Dual MAF setup Going to talk to a guy this coming Friday

Headlights

Inner Fenders

Can/Am box

Wiring Harness(es)

Headlight Harness

Chassis Harness

Signal lights

Mirrors

Steering wheel

Seats

Fuel lines

Brake lines

Drive Shaft

Correct front hubs

Catalytic Converters

Exhaust pipe

Intake tubing and filters

I'm sure there's more, but my wallet is crying. A LOT!

I'm going back to shopping now.

So I talked to Dane from HoustonZ.  I'm going to his store Friday to get the Selin Dual MAF translator and the rest of my Intake setup.

Hopefully, I'll be able to meet up with the transmission seller that same trip and knock the list down a bit.

• Like 2

Real estate is tight in front of the motor, so I'm planning to run dual intakes to the high beam buckets.

The Selin seems like the best way to go when running dual MAFs on these engines.