Southeast Texas King Cab

Exactly. Those posts are galvanized tubing.

Meanwhile, I couldn't wait for a real trailer so I loaded it on that utility trailer that I used to take it to and fro the galvanizers.

IMG_20130126_120159.jpg

IMG_20130126_120219.jpg

And now it's in the garage.

IMG_20130126_135839.jpg

This one shows how much flare will be required.

IMG_20130126_164242.jpg

Now I just need the Infiniti at my house so I can start swapping over brake lines, fuel lines, hicas lines, wiring, and all of those other things that make it go.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Throughout the build, I've gone back and forth on whether I was going to have a flat bed, a stock looking bed, or trailer fenders with no bed.

Usually when someone is torn between two things, my answer is " get both." With that in mind, I made quick detatch points so that I can build a smaller framework under the rear of my bed and make it easily removable. I plan to run my wires to a trailer light hookup, so if I want the bed one day, and the flat bed the next, it's just a few bolts and one plug to swap them out.

I was wondering when someone would notice that. I was starting to think it would be after I finished it.

Thanks man, I'm feeling pretty motivated lately, so it should continue to progress.

Yeah, galvanic corrosion will eventually wear the zinc down and allow the steel to start rusting. However,my frame has a lot thicker zinc than that fence. I'm guessing it'll last another 40 years before it wears through naturally like that.

Love this build. Galvanized will rust though, it just takes alot longer 9CA8183B-ABDD-4CE6-8EBE-81E4A7FA76FC-417

that's from a abrasion for years.......galvanized a frame ......ummmmm ok that's a first, the only thing besides the color i would question is if u ever have to fix or change, meaning do welding on the frame,  your seriously in trouble .....the reason this was never used oem is the material in galvanizing takes a specific technique for welding and even then its one of the weakest bonds due to the galvanizing contaiminating your weld...not to mention kill u from the fumes .....lol....while i think its a great idea for corrosion resistance i think the other end of things is why most choose to go other routes...looks good under the truck though

at first when i saw the pics i thought u got it coated and i was like ....nice shop,  they didnt even give u anything like foam to set your frame on to keep it from scratching but then i read .....explains the bright ass silver and the lack of a need for protection......don't know that i would risk a frame that was fabricated on to any galvanizers up here...they are very rough and not caring with product...

nice seeing it back together ...

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so it sounds like you guys might prefer the stockish bed. It's gonna require massive flares. I will have to mock it all up and get some pictures soon.

I've lost a bit of momentum lately, but I will be back on track soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Something here will require another build thread.

IMG_20130310_171801_zpsebf4f0f6.jpg

Probably the beer.

The good news is, it'll save about $50 a week in gas.

Bad news is, I can't find my Weber adapter, and I shot my canby budget in the balls.

• Like 1

I used the entire suspension from the Infiniti j30 which is 5 lug. I've seen where people swapped Toyota front ends to get the 5 lug setup. Usually that is done in order to make bagging it easier.

There are 6 lug meshies out there. Skib had them on his 620. I think they were appliances.

The ones from the j30 weren't very attractive in person. I was gonna find some crown Victoria wheels to keep the look, but ran into a deal on these keystones first.